• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

​Cleaning West System pumps (and G/flex bottle nozzles)

G

I have cleaned old epoxy pumps per West System’s recommendation to use alcohol on the part A pump and hot water (and then alcohol) on the part B pump. Easy peezy, and comforting to check the post-cleaning calibration with the final alcohol rinse.

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=41997

I noticed when friend Willie was using his 16oz G/flex bottles that his nozzles were getting pretty gunked up with errant drips down the sides and screw cap*. And today I noticed that my part B bottle was getting a bit dribble funky. I’ve never cleaned it.

I wiped it down with hot water same and the bottle is clean as new. The part A bottle is still oddly pristine and needed no alcohol wipe. I think the more viscous G/flex part B is prone to drips or maybe I’m just sloppy.

*Enough time has passed that I can tell this tale of epoxy work with friend Willie. I did so enjoy it ever so much.

Willie was in the shop, gloved up and mixing an oversized batch of G/flex. It would have been even more oversized, but a large portion seemed to end up on the newspaper covering the workbench when he was finished.

Adhesion job complete he still had a good bit left in the pot. “What should I do with this?” he asked.

“Paint it on the bottom of those sawhorses outside the shop door” I answered.

Willie did so and came back in the shop. “What should I do with the brush and pot?”

“Just throw them in the trashcan outside the shop”

Willie returned and a few minutes later I exited to empty the shop trashcan, grabbing the doorknob on my way out. The doorknob covered in gloved hand epoxy.

I muttered @#$#%$# , set down the shop trash and proceeded to acetone clean the epoxy off the door knob and off my hand. All cleaned up I picked up the trash, walked out and lifted the lid handle on the big trash can. The lid handle smeared with epoxy.

I said @#$#%$#, somewhat more audibly. Go to walk back into the shop, epoxy sticky hand held Oath of Office high, and on the way back in grabbed the outside door knob with my clean hand.

Yup.

Why didn't you have gloves on? There was an epoxy job taking place in your shop, right?

Any experienced shop hand knows you're supposed to put gloves on when handling epoxy. Need I come up there and give you a brief refresher course on proper shop techniques when working with epoxy?

Back