• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Chestnut Chum in Mass.

Reaction score
Just my own opinion but I consider this the best traditional wood canvas solo tripper. I really don't know of any better original factory wood canvas canoes that are better, maybe a 50 lber from Old Town but I never paddled one loaded.

If it doesn't need a canvas it's a good buy, if it does I'll help you put a canvas and filler on.

Afterwards, we will sit down behind the barn and I'll teach you the secret "Chestnut Chum Owners" handshake over some beer and cigars that you purchased.

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/boa/6131517508.html

Last edited:
Those are beautiful! Unfortunately out of my league currently. I would love to learn how to fix one up in the future. It seems this kind of stuff is a dying art.

I learned most of my knowledge from Schuyler Thomson here in Norfolk Ct when I bought a Chestnut Pal from him many years ago. I also learn a lot from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Assoc and books like the new "This Old Canoe" and "The Wood and Canvas Canoe"...and when I'm really stumped and need some good Chestnut info I go to John Fitzgerald (Fitzy) and Steve Lapey (Pathfinder).

The Chum in that ad appears to have very good wood and if the canvas is good, well a little bargaining and you have a nice original factory canoe at a great price.
Keep in mind it's a 1969, not a good vintage for a Chestnut canoes. The factory was winding down and the product was less than stellar, but it came off a Chestnut Chum form and all those minor imperfections can be improved as you both age.

I think we need some more wood on the fire....

I know Robin is kidding.. I am curious as to the long inner stems.. Don't think I have seen that and wonder why...
A Chestnut Bobs Special just went for pennies at the Maine Canoe Symposium along with a long storied history. As it needs stem and plank work sooner or later it may show up in someones shop.
Reid ( Becky Masons ) husband vowed to be auctioneer.. He of a dry wit initially suggested a nice wood fire.. We almost killed him but he was kidding.. He'd have gone back to Quebec with no head.

Stems on a Chum end at the 9th rib so this looks right. I was joking about the cigar, handshake and beer but everything I said about the Chum being a great solo canoe is serious. Keep in mind I talking about factory canoes, not modern day builders.

Afterwards, we will sit down behind the barn and I'll teach you the secret "Chestnut Chum Owners" handshake over some beer and cigars that you purchased.

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/boa/6131517508.html

That's a good one Robin, and it's very generous of you to offer help with the recanvasing. I won't be buying another wc boat this month but what would be a good offer if it did need canvas.

If it needed a canvas and all the ribs/plank/stems/decks/rails/stem bands were in good shape and could be reused, I would offer around 750-800 but would pay 900 if I really wanted a Chum.
A canvas for that is about $100 plus,
Interlux varnish-30
filler (make your own from the book This Old Canoe) $40
Interlux paint $36
cane for seats $10-20
shipping/sand paper/brushes etc $50?

pretty nice canoe for the money plus some labor.

We'll have to send everyone your way for canvassing, Robin. A few weeks ago Christy estimated 800 to 1000 to re-canvass a canoe for someone. Some charge more, like $100 a foot.

Most we have ever paid for a boat needing work, which would include just canvas, was $400.

Hi Robin,
What type minor imperfections might exist on a later model Chestnut? The Pal I talked to you about had a lot more issues than the pictures showed, gunnels, ribs, planks......so I passed. Besides, the secret handshake and beer add a bit to the equation!
Thanks,
Jack

Last edited:
From what I have heard and seen, 3 short pieces spliced for gunnels, green planking, too much short planking, planking with knots, ribs with knots, missing tacks, bad joints in seats and my pet peeve is an off center painter ring bolt in the deck.

We'll have to send everyone your way for canvassing, Robin. A few weeks ago Christy estimated 800 to 1000 to re-canvass a canoe for someone. Some charge more, like $100 a foot.

Most we have ever paid for a boat needing work, which would include just canvas, was $400.

That's a good deal to get a wood canvas canoe only needing canvas for $400. I'll help someone canvass a canoe if funds or other factors play into the situation. I won't do it for free if they plan to resell the canoe.

From what I have heard and seen, 3 short pieces spliced for gunnels, green planking, too much short planking, planking with knots, ribs with knots, missing tacks, bad joints in seats and my pet peeve is an off center painter ring bolt in the deck.

Ah, OCD as well! Things being off center or crooked drive me crazy..... I think most of the items you listed would be easy to check with the exception of the green/short planking. Though I suspect they might show up as uneven flooring. This might be closer to my budget and non-existent experience in repairs....oiling gunnels doesn't count. Would you be up for a visit on my way back home if this works out?
Thanks,
Jack

Ah, OCD as well! Things being off center or crooked drive me crazy..... I think most of the items you listed would be easy to check with the exception of the green/short planking. Though I suspect they might show up as uneven flooring. This might be closer to my budget and non-existent experience in repairs....oiling gunnels doesn't count. Would you be up for a visit on my way back home if this works out?
Thanks,
Jack

Sure, stop by. IIRC you need a canoe for a family is that correct? While the Chum is a tandem canoe, I have never used it other than solo so I can't really say what it's like with two adults and maybe a child.

If it needed a canvas and all the ribs/plank/stems/decks/rails/stem bands were in good shape and could be reused, I would offer around 750-800 but would pay 900 if I really wanted a Chum.
A canvas for that is about $100 plus,
Interlux varnish-30
filler (make your own from the book This Old Canoe) $40
Interlux paint $36
cane for seats $10-20
shipping/sand paper/brushes etc $50?

pretty nice canoe for the money plus some labor.

Good info, Thanks

Sure, stop by. IIRC you need a canoe for a family is that correct? While the Chum is a tandem canoe, I have never used it other than solo so I can't really say what it's like with two adults and maybe a child.

Thanks Robin. I spoke with the owner a little while ago, he had seen this thread. The canoe is a 65 vintage, not '69. Apparently there is some checking on the paint. He is going to send me some additional pictures. The canoe hasn't been in the water for at least 15 years. Apparently hung right side up in slings. I let you know what it looks like.
It would be my bride and me in the boat.....primarily me, but she has enjoyed our trips in the Kevlar boat. I am looking for something t use for shorter camping/fishing trips. I'm in my early 60's, so I desire a few more creature comforts nowadays. Just came back from a trip in the Adirondacks and the Thermarest pad is my new, favorite toy!!!

Yes I sent the seller a note about this discussion, in the event he wanted to add some info. It looks like the seat is missing the cane and there is a board there, hard to see. To have someone cane a seat for you is exspensive-$75 is a guess, but it's easy to learn and fairly cheap to do, just a few hours a seat.

If the canoe sat for 15 years I would guess it needs a canvas sooner than later. It has probably started to deteriorateand and won't stand up to much use, imo

Yeah well, we dont get very many that ONLY need canvas Robin. But she is correct. I dont like to pay real money for broken crap. I would definitely pay $1200 for one of our boats though once finished.

this is the same boat I posted under wooden canoes back around December as 'is this a chum'. More pictures there.

Ok, received a few pictures from the seller. Looks a little funky on the inwhales in the first picture, and it appears there is a splice in the outer gunnel by the thwart on both sides on the second. I cannot discern any fiberglass work from the pictures but the seller thinks there may have been some fiberglass work done....he's not sure. I'm thinking it might be worth a roadtrip from Virginia up North! Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Back