• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

CCS Tarp Ridge Line Stuff Sack, and some tarp tips:

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Cooke Custom Sewing has a new “Ridge Line” tarp stuff sack which is designed for just how I like to rig my tarp between two trees. The stuff sack has a grommet hole on one end for the ridge line, so it stays on the ridge line. The stuff sack has an extension so that it has plenty of room to stuff a slippery sil tarp without wrestling with it, and then the extension tube stuffs into it out of the way. Brilliant design.

I posted a video on Youtube showing how I use the new ridge line stuff sack, and some tarp set up tips, link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqlFP8C_z10

If you have seen some of my TR’s and videos, you know I like to suspend CCS tarps using an external ridge line that slides back and forth for adjustment like a shower curtain, and tightened each end with prussiks, and this video shows that in some detail.

I love this new stuff sack design because it allows me to pack up a wet tarp, solo, without it touching the ground and getting debris and dirt stuck to it, and same with set up. Its quick to set up, quick to pack up. For alternate tarp rigs without a ridge line, the bag is easily slid off the ridge line, so it’s completely versatile.

CCS link: http://www.shop.cookecustomsewing.com/category.sc?categoryId=12

Other gear shown: 50 ft Ridge line is 1/8 inch Amsteel rope in the red colour; guy lines are 2.2mm Zing-It cord. I like this dyneema cord because its does not absorb water, its light, and very strong. Guy lines are cut 20 ft long each. 20 ft gives me a good reach to reach out to get the angle right, and I carry extra coils in my cordage kit for making re-directs of cord pull when I don’t have a good angle to tie out to - that will be another video.

Good video. I'd seen the bag listed and wondered how it was designed, nice to see it 'in person.'

I wonder what you think of the idea of a double ended stuff sack? On my recent trip I was thinking that would be quite handy for a tarp. It's what my hammock uses and I like it. It stays on the ridge, same as the ridgeline bag, but allows you to stuff from either end and you can keep both ends of the ridge line secure inside the bag.

Alan

Another great video Hoop. I like your idea of using the hair bands to secure the guyline bundles - a simple solution to stop frustrating tangled lines when yanking it out of the stuff sack. Going to have to raid the wife's collection.

Like Alan, I do something similar with my hammock. Ended up re-using the double ended stuff sack that came with the Hennessy Super Shelter. It basically has two drawcords on either end of the open sack. This way the hammock can just be stuffed in without touching ground.
supershelter-300x300.jpg

I use double ended stuff sacks for my tarps and hammock. I like option of pulling out either end and also being able to store the ridgeline inside the bag rather than dangling outside.

To store the ridgeline, once you have stuffed the tarp, just stuff same as using a throw bag. I discovered this with quad kite lines. You can stuff all four lines straight into the stuff sack and like a miracle they all come out cleanly, no tangles. I believe this is how parachutes are packed and they really do need the lines to come out without tangles.

​The Amsteel and Zing-It are great stuff but I still prefer the new double braids unless I am planning on splicing loops. I have been using Lawson Glowire since I nearly got lost one night after I walked away from my hammock at night in the dark. Makes things easier to find!

Instead of a truckers hitch I just bring the ridgeline back to the tarp and secure with a prussik running along the ridgeline to tighten up to the tarp. Lots of information on this technique on Hammock Forums.

Over the years of participating in large group camping,(100 people or more) I've witnessed a lot of different technics.
The problem I see others struggle with, is rolling up their tent and trying to get it back in the original bag. By simply using a larger bag, it all goes in easier, saving time and frustration.
Thanks Hoop for the info ! You make it look easy !
I need a bag !

Jim

Last edited:
Nice set up Hoop. Do you think 2500# ridge line will be strong enough? Just giving you a hard time :p the 1/8" is definitely easier on the hands than zing-it and the diameter differential helps with the prusiks. Thanks for sharing.

Back