• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

CCS Lean 2 Shelter

Reaction score
I am considering buying one of these shelters. I only found 1 post with info on it in my search. I'd like to hear from anyone that has used one and if there are other shelters that compare with it I should consider. They aren't cheap by the time you add ground cloth and poles, so would like to hear some reviews. Thanks.

Allan is the one who used one extensively... I got one used, the largest one they make, but an older model, no mosquito netting and no rock patches... I want modify it by adding mosquito netting door and some sod cloth and a stove jack... Would make for a great shoulder season shelter.

I haven't used one Larry, but from my experience camping in a baker tent I don't think you will ever want to go back to a standard tent. I would like to give one a try being my lightest baker tent is about 25 lbs. It is 7x7 without the canopy and plenty big for 2 people. You could save $ by supplying your own poles and use a tarp for a ground cloth.

I love canvas baker style tents and use them primitive camping. For me, not being able to have a fire close is a deal breaker even though the liteweight is attractive.

I used a Lean 1 as my only shelter on a 6 week solo trip with my dog. Overall I liked it but like anything it's not perfect for every situation. In windy weather it will be a little drafty inside. That can be good or bad depending on the temperature. Sometimes it's hard to find a good place to set it up due to the size. This will be dependent on the landscape you're traveling through. Setting up with no/few trees is difficult but is much easier if you get Dan to sew on rock flaps. Condensation inside is very common. Most of the time it's not an issue but when it starts raining that condensation gets knocked loose and turns into a mist. Other times I've woken up to condensation dripping on my sleeping bag, especially down around my feet. The worse your mood the more annoying this is. Things can get exciting when the wind shifts in the middle of the night and a storm starts blowing into the opening.

Having all that room to spread out gear and sit up/kneel is great, especially on weather days. Aesthetically it's hard to beat, looks fantastic. Bugs seems to be a common concern but it's really not an issue. My Lean is white. On cold mornings it's great as the sun immediately warms the inside when it hits the tent. It's also nice in the evenings since it stays light in the tent even after sundown. On warm days where you're wind bound it's very uncomfortable inside, like being in a green house. It can be uncomfortable bright inside during the day as well. I'd recommend a dark color.

Alan

Also, the Lean is much easier to setup (and more solid) when you use poles. But I wouldn't bother buying them. It's easy enough to find a couple small dead spruce poles and cut them to length. Measure them against your body. For me my adam's apple is the correct pole length. I'd carry the poles with me until I either forgot them or came to a long portage I didn't want to carry them across. Then just cut new ones at the next camp. To carry them in the canoe I'd put them on the bottom and place my pack on top of them. This kept the pack up out of the bilge water.

Alan

I need to make some modification on mine, It is an older model that never been used, but doesn't have the mosquito door and sod flap at the bottom.... I'm thinking of adding that and maybe a to help with condensation... Might even put stove jack for the shoulder season...

Thanks everyone for responding. I appreciate the feedback. The advice on a darker color made sense, Alan. And I was not sure what size to buy, 2 or 3, and your comment about hard to find room sometimes for the 3 made sense. Hadn't thought about that. A little googling made me think I can get shock poles cheaper somewhere else. But, not sure on the length too look for. I had already decided to find a cheaper groundcloth than CCS. I am thinking pretty serious about buying the 2. My little solo tent is too cramped and my bigger 3 person too heavy and hard to set up by myself. I like the idea of an open front for sure. But, then again, see my post in the thread about bears and canoe damage and I might think again!

I think I prefer the traditional Whelan tarp design to the lean. I like the shape of the wings and the overhanging eave. It needs a bug net but that is no big deal.

Look for Kelty tarp poles or buy sections from Quest Outfitters.

Alternatively take a look at the Lil' Bug Out shelter from Seek Outside. It's a modular design that lets you add parts to bring it from a three sided shelter up to a sort of A-frame tunnel for four folk and a stove. You need a Nest bug shelter as well but that would take care of your groundsheet and would allow stand alone use in dry weather.

I have a Lean 1 and used it last year for the first time. First trip was a Hunter's Island solo, and I loved it! Nice weight savings for me as I did not need to pack tarp, tent and small bug shelter. Big space, and my worries about getting wet without a sewn in floor were put to rest on that trip as it rained nearly every day and I stayed dry. Very roomy as well; plenty of space for my wife and I on my second outing with it later last summer.

The downside, for me, is a lack of ventilation; it can get really warm in the Lean. Also, the standard mesh screen does not keep out no-see-ums, and that was annoying. Mentioned that to Dan, and he is willing to replace the current screen with a finer mesh, but he warned me that would potentially make for an even warmer unit.

Attachments

• DSC_0269.JPG
    DSC_0269.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Take 2.jpg
    Take 2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Thanks for responding Frenchy19. I went ahead and ordered a Lean 2 and expect it to arrive hopefully today. I'll give it a good workout this summer.

Dan will take care of that!

I can do the job, and plus I'm in Canada, so shipping + US dollar exchange = not a viable option.... If I was in the US I wouldn't hesitate one second to send it to him.

I am debating whether or not to bring a small tarp along with the Lean this yer. Kind of defeats the purpose of using the Lean, but with the amount of rain I had last year it would have been nice to have a tarp under which to cook. The Lean has an awning, but it is pretty low to the ground.

I can only offer 2 cents to this, as I don't have a Lean but do have a tarp. I'd take the tarp also. Although you can perhaps have too much gear on a trip, can you ever have too much dry/ wind/ weather protection? The small tarp can be a flexible addition to your camp set-up. Over your kitchen, over your extended living space, over your piled gear...whatever wherever. Okay, maybe less than 2 cents worth.

Good lord yes bring a tarp.Especially in the shoulder seasons I like to have one to enhance my dryness. Very important to not be cold AND wet at the same time. In summer I like the shade.

Tarp for sure, never leave w/o a tarp or 2... Now a day they are so small and light that you will not even notice them and they can save your life literally!!

Back