• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Cathance River, winter paddle

Reaction score
My last paddle of 2014 was on Dec. 27th. It was a day around 42* ('merican), and the tidal section of the Cathance, in Bowdoinham, was completely clear of ice. I was hoping to beat that this year.

By early December, it was clear I wouldn't have an issue (yeah Global Warming!). I got my chance on Dec. 31. We had just recently gotten enough snow that parking was more of an issue than finding open water.

I chose the Cathance River again, but I went to the upper section in Topsham. It's a beautiful section of river. The issue is routes 295, and 201. You pass under these as you head north. There is a certain point as you're paddling away from the highway, you suddenly notice the road noise is gone. I didn't get that far.

The temperature hit 37*, and the sun was out most of the time. It was very comfortable with just a couple of layers.

The river is very narrow, and passes through wooded area as you head down river, which leads to a group of gnarly rapids.
I headed south until the first rip, then headed back north of the put in. Once you pass under rte 201, you reach the grazing land of Bisson Farms. The river meanders for a few miles until you each Bradley Pond.

With the idea of taking photos, and film, I didn't make it very far at all. I spent more time editing the film.

This is my first attempt at any kind of film (and attempt to share…hopefully it's viewable!). There is supposed to be a link below. I hope you enjoy it

Last edited:
Cool! I like the black and white images, super at any time or year but sharp in Winter.

Maybe you can paddle all year for a change. I'm pondering a GoPro but the new 4 is uber expensive and so far haven't seen anywhere selling the 3 still.

The video was great, especially liked the underwater shot. Thanks for taking the time to put it together and posting it.

Thanks Shanks, that was very nice. I like that very much.
You captured an ethereal feeling I get from my own paddling-walking-wandering.

Nice film, you have it down pat. I really enjoy these efforts, it's pretty easy to put myself in your place and get a sense of what you are seeing/experiencing.
I thought that underwater shot was nice too, and I liked your editing, good job.
The nice thing about these films by paddlers like us is you get to enjoy the time on the water and around the canoe twice, once out there and once again while you put it all together for others to see. I enjoy both, making my own and watching others.
Thanks for that, really nice sitting here by the wood stove this morning and watching someone get some more canoe time.

Wow. Thank you so much everyone!

Paddle all year? I can only wish. Winter is finally showing up. It happens so quick!

The GoPro has been fun. The underwater stuff is Really fun!! I bought it used on Fleabay over the summer. Pretty reasonable, but no memory card (those are $30+!!!)

That was the first time I really used it (aside from sticking it in front of squirrel holes…those are cute videos!, and dunking in the cats/dog water dish…what a life).
I bought a $20 accessories kit, that includes a ridiculous amount of mounting gizmos.
I took a page from Robin's book, and mounted the (only?) swivel piece from the kit, to my spare paddle. I have bungee line in my thwarts, so it was really easy to move the paddle around.

The shots from different angles, and seemingly in the same place, actually where in the same place. 30 second swap, and you're at a completely different angle. I have some shots from right next to me, paddle side, but they are too clear, and I didn't want to ruin the film with too much of my face.
There's a lot too learn about settings, and even the type of SD card. I'm now onto my second day of class on that, but didn't take notes the first day.

Hopefully, I have a shuttle buddy to run some white stuff today. Either way, I'm off to paddle!!!!

Thanks again, for all the encouragement. Talk to you again.

shanks

Back