• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Canvas Tarps- Any Interest?

Reaction score
Firstly apologies for the commercial nature of this post but I thought this would be a good way to find out if anyone would be interested in buying one before I buy $1000 of fabric.

I make and sell a variety of other gear so wondered if this would something worth producing I have been researching what fabrics are on offer so now have an idea of what I could put together. To some extent cost would depend on exchange rate as I have to source fabrics from the USA plus shipping rates play a big part of the cost with cost per square foot coming down if I am able to order fabric in bulk. I have found some really nice stuff, the same as used by Tentsmiths I believe. It's possible that I could also offer a basic economy tarp made from a drop cloth or (better) an untreated very tight weave cotton that you could add your own waterproof treatment to.

Approximate prices for a nominal 10ft by 10ft tarp with reinforced webbing loops around the perimeter and a centre patch underneath plus a centre pull out on top would be-

6.25 oz oilskin $220 in dark brown, olive green or natural
6.25 oz untreated natural tight weave cotton $135

plus shipping

all prices Cdn$

10 by 8 would be a bit cheaper, 10 by 12 a bit more expensive. I would prefer not to go any bigger than that as it becomes a bit of a monster to maneuver around the machine.

Anyway let me know if this is something you are looking for or even if you would like some fabric and want to share the cost of bringing some to Canada.

BV - Looks like you've got a good pricing structure. I've purchased essentially what you're offering in the past from Tentsmiths in New Hampshire. I looked at their site and they are currently selling their 10'x10' oilskin tarp for $215.00 so you're definitely in the right ballpark with your pricing. I wish you the best of luck in selling the tarps. I only wish I needed another one. Sorry...

That's all for now. Take care, best of luck in this business venture and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back