• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

BWCA Solo trip with my dog Jake

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot]My dog Jake and I took another trip together, this time solo to the BWCA this year. We were supposed to enter at the Snake River, #84, but due to a death in the family, the trip was put on hold for a week. Luckily Drew at Piragis, was a huge help and got me a permit for entry # 29 and I could use the same map and be in a similar area. He was a tremendous help to keep this trip alive.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]So, Jake and I started the long 8 hour drive to Ely ... in the rain with high hopes. Little did we know that rain would be the theme of the trip. After a good nights sleep at the Adventure Inn ( dog friendly ), we headed out for our trip. The morning was glorious as it was sunny with a slight west breeze. We began our trip on Ojibway Lake, portaged to Triangle Lake and then hit the 190 rod entry to (#29) to the North Kawishiwi. Here Jake and I begin our trip.

8j40OFl.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
4hooTxI.jpg

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I should add that I do trip differently than most folks. I paddle a 15 foot Chestnut Prospector, a truly excellent solo tripping boat. I also do take a wannigan. My kit is on the heavy side, so I do travel more slowly than most, so solo is ideal as I do not slow up a group. On the longer portages I had to triple port - not ideal, but still worth it to me. I tump my wannigan, canoe and pack feeling more connected to the past.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Anyway, as we entered the Kawishiwi, the winds picked up and the clouds increased, looking like occasional showers were on the way. Jake and I picked the island site a very short paddle from the portage. It is miss-marked on the map, the site is on the other side of the island. However, it is a nice elevated site with great views.

L4RelMB.jpg

cAeP0Dt.jpg

[FONT=&quot]The next morning, it was very cool with showers. Jake and I had to cook breakfast under the tarp and wait for it to warm up and stop raining.[/FONT]

M5Hs1J6.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Soon the rain gave way to light westerly breeze and sunshine - still cold however.[/FONT]

fDj2iRU.jpg

[FONT=&quot]A while later, we explored and fished the river, checking out any available camp sites,and exploring animal trails. We spied an Eagle feeding its Eaglets ... awesome![/FONT]

XByqH3I.jpg

[FONT=&quot]By the end of the second day, Jake preferred to relax at camp and soak up all the beauty of the BWCA. I sipped my whiskey and enjoyed it with him.[/FONT]

hRWch6X.jpg

[FONT=&quot]We traveled on the next day south on our way to Gabbro. We explored many of the camp sites along the way.[/FONT]

aADTIrP.jpg

[FONT=&quot]We never made it to L Gabbro, the South West winds were fierce, and the amount of people we saw after the 30 rod portage of the falls before the Dam was amazing. Canoes were suddenly everywhere. The wind constantly was picking up and was challenging to paddle into it. So, rather than continue to the 122 rod portage to L. Gabbro, we went North West to the last site before the Portage to Eskwagama Lake. Here we ate lunch and rested, and stayed the night[/FONT]

rdgGUB6.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Soon a new front moved it ... ominous clouds for sure, looking like a skull staring down on the Forest.[/FONT]

NSFxXhh.jpg

[FONT=&quot]The next day we pushed on up to Eskwagama and noticed the map has miss-marked where the portage is , it is actually north of where it is indicated on the map. It is bog that slowly climbs up into more solid rocky terrain. From here we entered Clear Lake.[/FONT]

S0GSCN5.jpg

[FONT=&quot]As we entered Clear Lake, another Fierce North West wind hit, bringing a lot of rain, and more cold. We headed to the second site from our portage as the first was taken. Luckily, this is a beautiful site and we could dry off and get lunch going. Then suddenly, the sun came back out.[/FONT]

sEKT2fK.jpg

[FONT=&quot]We stayed for two days. It is a nice fishing lake, and a great place to explore with your dog. It rained off and on the entire we were there[/FONT]

i624K8a.jpg

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After 2 days here, we started to head back, that was a big mistake on my part - a dangerous one. We were on the water by 7 am as it was gently raining ... but also a very cool morning. We hit the 160 rod portage North, paddled on to a 10 rod, then traveled East to the 210 rod portage. This is a tough port when it is raining, cold and one has to triple port. Also, since my dog has no undercoat, he is susceptible to getting cold when wet fast. The portage is so overgrown that the foliage from both sides of the trail touch ... essentially "paining" you with water with every step. By the time we finished the port, Jake was soaked. The rain picked up from a drizzle to a steady rain, the temp dropped to the mid 40's and the wind picked up - a deadly combination for sure. I paddle to the second site after the portage and put up my tarp like an A frame, threw down my bed roll, and got out my wool blanket. Jake had a hard time walking he was shaking so badly. I wrapped him up and we slept for an hour. When I woke up, every thing was soaked, my tarp was leaking. Now I was shaking too and it was colder yet - still raining. I put my tarp tent up as fast as I could, but my hands were not working correctly so it was not put up the best. We got under it a little after 3 pm ... and did not come out until 8 am the next morning. We huddled under the wool blanket sharing body heat ... thank goodness it is a real wool blanket![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The next day was dry in the morning, and we dried out some gear in the sun. We paddled back to the North Kawishiwi and stopped at another island camp site. I hung the rest of my wet gear and it dried in the sun and wind. Jake and I ate a hearty meal of dried venison, with hamburger helper, gorp and peanut butter. The forecast looked like more rain was possible so I decided to end the trip a few days early. We slowly paddled on to the #29 entry point, soaking up all the beauty of the BWCA as we quietly moved up river.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Just as we began our 190 rod portage out ... it started to rain again.

GM3K2lF.jpg

As we entered Triangle lake, the winds again fierce, we blowing into our faces. While Island hoping as much as possible to block the wind, I remembered to paddle with my torso, not my arms and focus on my J stroke to keep a good momentum in the face of such strong winds. I also was reminded of how much I love my canoe as it is so maneuverable, responding to every twitch of the paddle blade, the way the bow splits and rides over waves, and how stable she is , even when in beam seas. Eventually we made it back to Ojibway lake and again paddled straight into the teeth of the wind to the take out. Our trip was not over however. Upon walking to the truck, it was discovered I had a flat tire. I have a multitude of tools in my truck, not to mention 3 jacks ... but the lug wrench I borrowed was not returned ... so now I am stuck ... and it started to rain again. However, soon a man and his family put a boat in and when I asked if he had a lug wrench, he did not, BUT, he ran back to town to get me a small air compressor and just asked if I put it in front of his car when I was done. I never got his name, but he really saved my bacon! By the time I drove back to Ely, I had 20 PSI in the tire. It was 10 minutes to 7pm. I made it to Tony's in Ely ( they close at 7). A young man walked out and said. "Mister, I can hear the air running out of that tire- want me to fix it? At 7 :20. With my spare tire on, the rock removed from flat tire ( broken cord, tire is shot ) I topped off with fuel at their shop - no charge for the tire sir. We could not fix it, so no charge. I could not believe it - they would not take any money either.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So, rain - tons of rain! High winds, misfortune, bad decision making ... and still an awesome trip. I can't wait until next year to go again. The BWCA is an awesome place ... as are the people of Ely![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bob.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[/FONT]

Attachments

• photo7259.jpg
    photo7259.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 0
Wow. What a great trip Bob. Many thanks. I love that gear, and that prospector colour is awesome!
Even though you had a close call with Jake, I betcha a million bucks the next time you start racking the canoe Jake will be in the front seat faster than you can say kibbles. He knows a good trip.
Your experiences there with helpful strangers reassures my faith in my fellow man. Thanks again Bob.

Beautiful pics of your Prospector and gear. Love the wannigan!

Glad to hear you and Jake are ok after your chilly close call. The weather in the Great Lakes region sure has been bipolar this summer. I'm planning to bring a 100% wool blanket on trips this season regardless of the bulk.

Things like that make a trip memorable !
Weather often times makes the memory !

The weight of your gear, tested your metal ! Many would have turned back sooner ! Great pics and story !

Thanks !

Jim

Thanks for the report, that's a great area just can be a little crowded during the busy part of the summer.

That a great adventure! Glad you ok too.
Is Jake a Vizsla? He a good puppy!

TheIndian,

Yes Jake is a Vizsla, he is 2 1/2 years old.

Thanks for the replies to all, I appreciate hearing from you. I hope the weather is better in your neck of the woods ... it is raining here still - everyday between 1/2 and 1 inch ... crops are in trouble and it is depressing as heck. Man I am sick of rain.

Bob.

Your canoe looks great, really like the Prospector's look, and your pics of your outfit really tells a story I like to read. Your selfie of pup and you is a classic. Tough weather but great memories. Excellent pics, Thank You

Thanks for the report Bob. I bet you wish Jake could have been with you for that extended stay on Windy Bi## Rock a few years back. Your notes from that one would be well received too.

You should maybe get a house boat for Jake, then you both could be warm an cozy. With the house boat you will no longer need that old canoe, Duluth pack, and wannigan. If you help me out with the gas money I will drive down and haul them away for you, save you the trouble of taking it all to the landfill ;).
I enjoyed your story and your style. I await you and Jake's next adventure.

Thanks for your trip report. I'm just beginning to get out with our pooch so it's nice to know of your adventure. Our pup is just 18 months old but she's showing signs of enjoyment in the canoe and loves to go hiking. Curious though as to what your tarp tent is? If you get a moment, would you mind sharing who makes it and what it's called? Thanks! It looks like a good shelter for someone traveling with a dog.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Snapper,

My tarp tent is a CCS Lean One Plus. I am considering purchasing the poles for it to make it more free standing,however, currently I only use a tied ridge line between two trees. It packs up to the size of a sleeping bag, I do not believe it is much over 3 pounds or so, but is actually quiet large. I have sat in a chair and used my twig stove it it to cook or to just warm up after a cold morning. I have a bed roll that is my ground cover (mine has no floor) it is like 7 x 7 or so. I roll up my blanket in it and carry with a tump or tie to my wannigan and tump the lot along with my axe and fire tube. The ground cover fits nicely over the sod cloth of tent and I have never had water intrusion, even in serious downpours. The screen keeps out the biting nasty's - it is a light, roomy shelter - excellent for myself and Jake as well as our gear. Although it is light, I believe it be robustly built and have personal experience that it can withstand significant winds and storms.

Good luck with your pup, a dog tripping partner makes trips so much more enjoyable. I wish you and your pup all the best.

Bob.

Bob - Thanks for the information. I'm "aware" of the CCS Lean products so it looks like it's time to check them out more thoroughly. I really like the idea of a floorless shelter; especially when bringing a dog.

That's all for now. Take care, enjoy your trips and until next time..be well.

snapper

No Title

Bob,

Thinks for the report. That pup's got soul! I had to fight off hypothermia once in the bdub during ice out. I got soaked in a sleet storm as I was waste deep in water trying to navigate the portage between Hustler and Oyster. I still remember vividly how hard it was mentally and physically to get my tent put up. It was the 10th day in a row and it was like I never set it up before. Luckily I was aware of what was happening and was able to take care of business. Copper just laid nearby wondering if it was time for dinner.

Almost all of my paddling trips involve ice, snow, or winter like conditions. So my dog of choice was a Chessie. Despite her double coat though, she can get cold if she's wet, stationary (in the boat), and a cold wind is blowing. I don't know if the jacket Jake is wearing is insulated, but I have been using a 5mm vest for Copper in cold weather hiking and paddling and it helps her immensely. She's had it for years and besides keeping warmth in and breaking the wind, it keeps the majority of her dry and clean, as well as free of those pesky stickers and hitch hikers. it fits tight enough to keep her clean and dry. Hers came from Cabelas, but others make them. Just a thought anyway. I've been prototyping some nylon rain covers like Jake's too! Nice work.

Cheers,

Barry

Attachments

• photo7376.jpg
    photo7376.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for sharing this awesome trip report. Really enjoyed your pictures. I especially like the picture that shows how you rig up your tarp so you may enter your sheltered area and tent without tiptoeing out into the storm. The chest looks like a chore to portage for someone my size, but wow. Seems like it would make wonderful table, sitting spot, etc. Thank you so much for sharing your story and fantastic pics.

Back