• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Bent wood pole

Reaction score
I have a 12-foot pole with hanger-bolt spikes that's seen a little use. I got it from the closet-rod section of the hardware store, so I suspect it's fir. I do know that it's a bit willowy, and it has a slight bend near the middle, not more than a few degrees. It's due to a slight aberration in the grain; it has no knots. I store it counterbent in the hope that it will straighten out, which it does, and then the bend comes back again.

I haven't noticed a problem with using it, but I'm wondering if anyone out there can tell me if it's likely to break under mild to moderate use. My poling venue is a shallow, twisty stream with slow to medium current and few rocks.

Well the good part is that it won't roll off when you lay it across your gunwales. A slight bend shouldn't make a difference.

wrap the warped section in towels and pour a couple kettles-worth of boiling water on it while you have it under tension in the 'conterbend' direction...

It does straighten out. I've even been able to counterbend it. I've soaked it, set it up slightly counterbent to try in the sun, and it holds for a while. But eventually the old bend returns. I just wonder if anyone's had experience with breakage.

the steam-heat should help re-set the woods memory...

my hardware store dowel pole is 25 years old, a little warped, but no breakage...

If it is a bend in the grain and not due to a knot, I believe it is no more or less likely to break than any wooden pole. Under normal use you should be good. Push the limits of the pole or get it caught between a couple rocks, and look out!

-rs

Back