• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Beer!

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having read almost every post on this forum, it is clear that the three most necessary liquids for canoe trippers are water, coffee and beer.

Now you can say whatever you want about beer after you answer the following two mandatory topic questions. If you don't want to follow these rules, start your own beer thread. For purposes of this topic, beer includes ale, stout, lager, porter and other fermented cereal grain bubbly concoctions.

1. What's the most beer you ever carried in your canoe? It doesn't matter how many people were on the trip, how long it was, or whether you just happened to be the designated beer vessel. You don't have to explain it, or you can, but what's your record?

-- In 65 years of paddling, I don't recall even one beer ever being in my canoe. During my many canoe trips during my 26 years of drinking, I only carried hard liquor. More bounce and fewer (gravitational) ounces to the (fluid) ounce. If someone else offered me a beer in camp, I don't recall turning them down, but it wasn't toted by my canoe.

2. What's your one favorite beer of all time? You know, the scenario where you can take only one brand with you to the moon, solitary confinement or orgy island. The secret purpose of this question is to tease out something about your personal history.

-- A tough choice for me, especially since most beers taste so much the same, while others are so different. I'll choose Carling Black Label. Not for any taste or flavor reason, but because it evokes pleasant memories of sweet youth and good times for me. It was the most common bottled beer served around Lake George, New York, where I worked every summer during college in the1960's, and where I picked up all my vices, such as drinking beer.

After 29 years of abstaining from all alcohol, beer is the only alcoholic beverage I slightly miss. I think that's because it actually had thirst quenching attributes, and because beerandpizza always seemed to be one word for so long. But sodaandpizza did just fine before I was 18 and does so again now.

Ummmmm.....in answer to #1, probably hundreds. Two huge coolers full of beer then several resupply packs stuffed in every nook and cranny.
caM63Rf.jpg

Favourite beer...well mostly Bud lite now, because it doesn't really taste like beer. I used to carry 75 beers in a separate dry bag on our portage clearing trips. Usually drank 6 to ten a night. Those days are gone though. Probably will give up drinking soon, doesn't have the same appeal it did when I was younger.

The first 5 Summers I lived here in Manitoba I was still not drinking and even after that we never take beer.

I would have to say Molson Export. Nothing fancy for me. Cannot get it in Manitoba though and rare places in NW Ontario. Yes in Ear Falls, No in Vermillion Bay, Yes in Geraldton, no at the last LCBO before entering Manitoba on the Trans Canada.

I only took beer along a couple times, since then I carry a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon or Black Seal Rum or one of each.

My current favorite beer is Long Trial's Double bag, my all time favorite no one has hear of, a wonderful creamy Porter that was brewed by the long gone Lucknow Brewery.

A 30 pack for myself.* (plus some in the truck for a post trip wind down)

Schaefer Beer at the age of 16

*all that is behind me, between my uncertain lingering health issues, the amount of meds the VA has me taking and my daily beer drinking my mind started playing tricks on me a couple of months ago (did anyone notice? I know DougD did, Thanks Doug))
Well, it all came to a head one night about a month ago and with the help of my wife and the excellent VA I am on the road to a better life.
I still like my Busch Lite but I'll just have to pass and have a soda.

Never really took beer, even in the old days with a gang of guys. No point to it, not enough full ones and too many empties. So the most I've probably taken might have been 2. As far as a favourite beer, that is a difficult question to answer, because I'm still deciding between different porters and stouts. Most ones I try I'll decide "that's my favourite!!", until weeks later I'll try another which often becomes my new favourite. At this very moment it is Kinnegar's Yannaroddy Porter from Donegal Ireland. I was only gifted the one by our daughter's bf after their trip there, but one was just enough. Might be a little hard to get another one of those, so in the meantime I'll stick with my Bolshevik b*st*rd Imperial Stout from Nickel Brook Brewery...until another dark and lovely comes along.

You know they did a study & found bone strength directly correlated to the amount of beer consumed daily but those folks needed it as they fell down the most !

Don't recall ever taking any type of alcohol in my canoe. Wasn't worth the weight or bother. Back in my college days (mid 60's) my favorites were Stroh's and Schmidt's Tiger Head ale. Don't know if they are still brewed (don't care anymore!). Haven't had a beer in 32+ years. Besides, being diabetic, it would drive my glucose levels bonkers.

Sorry Glen, but any Black Label I ever drank was like drinking skunk pee.

I dont drink much although I did take some Crown last trip. Sweeper....My brother got me a bottle of Goslings Black Seal when they stopped in Bermuda...I used it to hurt our brother in law badly one new years.
Carlings Black Label...the partner to that used to be Red Cap Ale. All my uncles drank those. I cant even finish a beer...a sip off karins is all I have.

Lips that touch liquor will never touch mine. ( More or less)

Christine

Having read almost every post on this forum, it is clear that the three most necessary liquids for canoe trippers are water, coffee and beer.

Maybe this forum isn't for me....I don't drink coffee, I don't drink beer (or any alcohol) and I only drink water when my tea thermos is empty.

Or maybe I'm just not a "real" canoe tripper?

Maybe this forum isn't for me....I don't drink coffee, I don't drink beer (or any alcohol) and I only drink water when my tea thermos is empty.

Or maybe I'm just not a "real" canoe tripper?

I thought the water that Glenn was referring to was the stuff we paddle on so you're in.

I don't take beer, I'm more of a wine and spirits guy for tripping. On one trip I take I like to stash a beer or two at the first portage on the way in to be enjoyed on the paddle back to the put in on the way out.

On my first solo trip I found 18 beers in the water when I arrived at my first destination lake. Ten days later I found a box of wine hanging in a tree at a campsite on my last night out. That was the night I was asked to leave the campsite at 2 AM by the Swiss couple I was nice enough to let stay there with me.

My favorite beers are unfiltered wheat beer,, hefes or Belgian whites. I recently had a Belgian white called the "Allagash," pretty good.

So you're the one drinking the Belgians.

I used to like the german beers but my tastes have gone north to the Ales, Stouts and Porters.

Hmmmm.... I drink only real beer so I don't need to bring many... maybe 8-9 in between me and my wife.... For a 10 day trip....

I don't bring any anymore, I usually take a flask or two of bourbon or good peated smoky scotch and I don't drink cheep stuff in that stuff either.... For exemple, on our fly in paddle out moose trip last fall, I had 2 small Stanley flasks and had enough for the entire 11 day trip!!

Recped...tea has always been the drink of the north. I like my coffee in the morning but take tea also. I like it cold too. We used to brew a big pot and leave it on the stove all day long at home.

Gee Glenn, I'm 65 and my mother used to drink Carling's. I think it was because at 16 years old I still new a bad beer if I tasted it, and wouldn't steal any of hers.:D The most beer I've taken on a trip is 24. The beer I drink now is Coors water, I mean Coors Lite. I drink it because I get too full to drink anymore before I get too tipsy. Although I've been known to have a few LaBatts Blue or Molson's once in awhile. My most disappointing beer story is I went to a big sportsman show in Toronto many years ago. The Canadian breweries were on strike. The only beer they had was Strohs, awful, just awful.:(

Just imagine the night before the trip gathering at Haslam's place. All parties involved are setting around the campfire, the BBQ is cooking up dinner and the only person drinking alcohol type beverages would be Irene. Imagine the early starts we could get the next day!

Just imagine the night before the trip gathering at Haslam's place. All parties involved are setting around the campfire, the BBQ is cooking up dinner and the only person drinking alcohol type beverages would be Irene. Imagine the early starts we could get the next day!

Not sure I like what you're seeing int that crystal ball, but an early start would be good, so maybe we could stick to non booze drinks. Tea, coffee. For flavour I like to tipple a little Irish into it. Oops. The top of this wagon sure can get slippery. Ha.
Yes, tea is the traditional drink IMO. We drink that several times a day at home and on trips. Years ago I gave up the sugar and milk, to better find the tea flavour unmasked by dairy and sweetener. My wife now drinks hers the same usually. Sure keeps things simple on trips. I do like different loose leaf tea varieties. I might have to start bringing a tea strainer. Our smallest campfire pot gets the most use; I call it our billycan, but I don't make it like this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrJa23WyAr4

1) 12-16 oz beers is the most I can recall having in my canoe

2) Only one type of beer? This one is nearly impossible to answer - so many different beers for different seasons. If forced, though, to have only one beer to drink in any season for any occasion, then I would have to pick a Schwarzbier (black lager). Dark and roasty, but still a light-bodied lager. I would go with either Sprecher Black Bavarian or Titletown Brewing Dark Helmet.

Back