• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Bed roll modern and traditional water proofing methods - very pic heavy.

Reaction score
I have listed in this post a few of the bed roll/water proofing methods I have used over the years while running the timber. Personally, I love wool blankets and tarp, or plain old bedroll. When the wind slides out of the north, the leaves change and begin to fall, as temps and humidity begin to drop I day dream often on the wonderful deer camps and scouting/camping trips used to have deep in the timber, just me and my bed roll, possibles bag. Anyway, I plan to revisit the old bed roll next paddling season. When I read Murat's post a while back, it brought back so many memories, I thought I would share some of the things I tried over the years.

R1X3j94.jpg

This picture is of my blanket rolled up in an oilcloth from Tensmiths. It is about 7x8 feet. I can place the tump around my chest and have the bed roll fit on my middle, lower back - it is a great way to walk with my hands free. the bag is hemp canvas walnut dyed and "painted" with bees wax. It is very water proof. I can use the bedroll tump on my head with a canvas pack on my back as well, it is very manageable, not uncomfortable at all.

J4Ho1qM.jpg

Q10uw6u.jpg

zOoYK9d.jpg

6bhgKPL.jpg

I will post different types of bed roll materials, sizes and waterproofing in a bit.

Bob.

The is what the Oilcloth with blanket looks like before it is rolled up.

uD3SbWj.jpg

2Gzc1kv.jpg

I have also used a smaller piece of canvas, walnut dyed because I love the look of it, and used Canvac ( a canvas water proofing agent ). It has a bit of an odor but it is not too strong. It does a nice job of keeping pine sap, ground dampness, snow, rain etc off you and your blanket. I have also used Thompson's water seal. If the thread count is tight enough, this can be a good way to go.

Ske9EYk.jpg

5yKuv7q.jpg

A more traditional method is paint with a stiff brush the fabric you want. I have pictured a tarp roughly 8x8 I believe it was some sort of heavier muslin fabric I bought from a fabric store or Walmart, 48 inches wide of so. I sewed them together to make it nearly square. This particular tarp has MANY timber miles on it and is plum wore out. It will weep in a heavy rain. However, in its day, it had seen many a rain and snow storm. I used it not only as a bed roll, but as a diamond fly shelter as well. I could make a small fire under the point, it was a very cozy, light shelter. It has seen a lot of fall, winter trips.

HgtdS7t.jpg

6axKaOB.jpg

TaGvkax.jpg

ZELdgwq.jpg

The most traditional method would be to mix iron oxide powder with boiled linseed oil and paint that onto a heavy sheet or canvas. This takes a good long while to dry, and in high heat can be a bit sticky. It is also very fragile in severely cold weather and has a tendency to tear. The most problematic factor of this method is it has a tendency to want to flash if exposed to a good hot spark or coal. Obviously that can be a real danger, I do not use my tarp made this way anymore, it is just not worth it to me.

Lastly, I have used often a half blanket, or a part of a blanket. Personally, i love to use it to wad up as a pillow, to wrap around my shoulders, to put on a rock for more comfy sitting or to keep my butt dry ... lots of uses. I like to wrap a blanket scrap, or one stitched under a piece of canvas for more durability in my bed roll. I have all sorts of these and wear them all the time when in the timber or on a canoe trip.

g1U8CWn.jpg

ek3iIEv.jpg

Anyway, I feel this method is best for late summer or fall as it offers no shelter from bugs. For me, I just would rather sleep out in the open or under a tarp, I do not like tents. I also prefer a blanket over a sleeping bag, so for me it makes sense.

If anyone has any questions about these ideas, feel free to ask away. Thanks for looking.

Bob.

love this post - thx

the less i use tents, the less i use tents...

Last edited:
Great post and explanations Bob! like your idea of the half blanket scrap sewed with canvas.

Question for you: If using something like Thompson's waterseal or Canvac for a canvas groundsheet, would you need to frequently re-apply to maintain the waterproofness? Once a season, for example?

Hi Bob,
I see the blanket on the ground under the tarp, how do you keep the cold ground from coming up thru the blanket. Maybe a small pad in the Duluth Pack?

Do you ever have any critters try to snuggle up to keep warm? Mice and other little guys.

I like that half blanket too, lots of good uses, never saw that. The diamond fly shelter looks nice. Have you used the tarp with a canoe rolled over on it's side, seems I have seen pictures of that type of set up?

Murat, when I had a very large baker lean to I used it a lot as a base camp in the fall and winter, mostly for deer camp. It would be up sometimes for 4 to 6 weeks with snow, ice, rain ... and the canvac did a great job, needing minimal reapplication only on the roof, never the sides or seams. I used to have a 9x9 heavy canvas for 2 guys in a minimalist camp for deer hunting. I think in all my years, I only applied Canvac one time. Ground cloth takes more abuse, it may need it every other season. The Thompson's likely every season as it is a lighter product.

Robin, The blanket under the tarp was done quickly to show a concept. Basically, I would make a "nest" first by using ( if in Canada) lots of moss for bedding, or here in SW Wisconsin, lots of leaves and grasses. If in the winter, I would use pine bows, and a therm rest- 48 inch. I do not use the full length pads. Also, in winter I sleep with my spare boot liners tucked in my bed roll with me and my boots under my blanket as well ... getting up in the morning with below zero temps only to put on cold boots is no fun.

I have never had problems with mice, or other vermin when sleeping under a tarp or with just a bed roll spring summer fall or winter ... however ... one very cold night on a deer hunt, it was about 0 degrees give or take a couple, with bed rolls only, no tarp - and the wind shifted, two buddies and I were exposed to the wind, we slept by overlapping each others blankets. I heard a very slight noise near my head and peaked out of my blanket to see 4 coyote legs within arms reach of me. As the one I saw walked around the blankets, looking us over, another came to where the first one stood. They "visited us" for about 10 minutes then very quietly trotted away. Their tracks were easy to see in the snow the next morning.

I have never used the canoe on its side method, I might someday, but I explore and fish too much to have my canoe be used for a shelter. Once in the BWCA, I was wind bound for 6 days straight in early June - still did not use the canoe on its side method. I had an east wind, averaging 30 mph constant winds with occasional gusts to an estimated 45. It would get up to about 45 degrees F in the day and get down to about 37 - 39 at night. In 6 days the wind never laid down. I put up a tarp as a very low lean, with a large log in the back to lean against. I dug a shallow fire pit to keep a low fire under the tarp. With the wind in back of the lean, it was surprisingly cozy under my tarp, laying on the ground, siting on the ground, reading, cooking, making coffee, etc. On the 6th day the wind let up a little and I buggered out of there.

I am thinking of using a bug shirt in the spring with a tarp and bedroll. Or, if I take my dog Jake, I will take my CCS lean plus one, with my blanket and oilcloth. Jake likes to snuggle in the blankets and the screen on the lean will help to keep the bugs away.

I found this link on the net, some may find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvD241FkRrI

Bob.

Last edited:
Years ago I spent a few nights under my canoe with a tarp tossed over it. One trip in particular, on the Delaware River, it rained buckets each day and I found that set-up to be very dry and cozy. In all the years I've spent sleeping under a tarp of some kind I've only had a critter enter once and that was on the Bog River Flow. Again, a night of high winds and rain. I heard something rustling down by my feet so I turned on my headlamp only to find a small mouse at the end of my pad. I didn't have the heart to toss him back out in those conditions so I took the chance and turned out the light. I never heard/felt anything the rest of the night and it was gone in the morning. Hopefully he enjoyed his sleep as much as I did.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back