• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Aug 16th-31st, 1919 Anniversary

Reaction score
Anyone else who is familiar with those dates planning on being in the area for the 100th ??

Yes I am being purposely vague. Not to keep a secret, but to provide some fun sleuthing for others.

Well, Afghanistan gained independence from Great Britain at that time, but i don't fancy canoe tripping there just yet...

Maybe it's the 100th anniversary of the creation of the "Baseball Tee", apparently "invented" by Champion Sportswear (of Rochester NY)?

Or maybe it's something related to Susan B. Anthony (long time Rochester resident) and the woman's suffrage movement which finally achieved their goal in 1919 (or 1920 depending on how you view it).

How about a least some sort of hint?

The only people that I knew that were alive then, are now all dead. So, at this point I don't have anyone to ask. I have given up, moving on to next thread.

I will post hints in due time. Rest assured it is paddling related. You will know when you know.

Well come on with some hints dammit. I have Googled every combination of those dates, in every paddling related way I can think of, and I have bupkiss.

Lots of interesting history within that time span, so as a history buff thanks for that.

Probably will not be found via google.

First hint: Those dates refer to a paddling trip as chronicled in the personal journal of the adventurer.

I thought it was weather related but came up short and no google search found anything! You are evil sir! Now I have to go looking for adventurers!

Anyone else who is familiar with those dates planning on being in the area for the 100th ??

I have an appointment on the summit of Hitchins Pond Mountain scheduled for sometime this year. It is the highest point in the region at 2464 feet. So yes, I plan to celebrate their centennial anniversary by being there. Some may not consider their adventure a true canoe trip, but it is still the best way to reach the trailhead. Mine will be on my shoulder as I find pond hopping a most enjoyable mode of travel in this area.

Ding, ding, ding; we may have a winner.

The dates coincided roughly with when my Grandfather ran away from home on Rouses Point, stealing my Great Grandfather’s canoe and paddling down to hide out at Fort Ticonderoga.

I don’t think he was that much of a history buff. Maybe. I think he just went as far south as he could. He was found a couple weeks after he took off, and I’m sure had his hide properly tanned, 1919 style.

The need to get-away may be genetically predetermined, my father and I both left home early.

Back