• Happy Scream Day! 😱

2016 BWCA trip with Jake and my buddy Hogan.

Reaction score
As I sit in a comfy chair with a nice rum on ice, I embrace the comfortable feelings of stiff and soar muscles recovering from a trip in the bush. This was not any epic adventure - no huge miles covered in record time or uncharted lakes discovered teaming with fish. This was my first trip to bush in a few years with a my bum knee, a grand canoe pup and a good buddy. It was a bit crowded for my liking, but to once again visit the back country was not just a great time, it is rejuvenating to ones soul.

In fact other than being on my trips, the next best thing about them is the contentment of reliving them ... often with a nice rum.

We started early in the morning on Mudro Lake and ported the rock infested, boot sucking mud hole portages to Four Town Lake. There the wind from the north was too intense so we found a camp and prepared for the next days paddle. About dinner time we saw a canoe in trouble. The was no place to camp for miles, the wind was howling and the stern paddler had a broken paddle. We offered to share our camp with them for the night. My dog Jake loved their company and they kept sneaking him fish jerky - he was pretty happy that night.

We left early that morning and headed north to Gun Lake.
cVl2wtv.jpg

After a nice morning paddle we hit our first portage into Boot Lake.
vg5NzJv.jpg

We set up camp a few hours later on Gun Lake. Finishing up supper we were blessed with an evening rainbow.
lrFARpg.jpg

The next morning was bright and beautiful so I made coffee and watched the sun rise over the lake.
rU9raVb.jpg

Coffee with my best buddy Jake
uOlDSle.jpg

Latter it was time for a breakfast of eggs and bacon.
iwVYrEb.jpg

Every day Jake and I would explore the lakes and the timber. He has certainly taken to camp life and is very comfortable in the canoe.
68A7nzO.jpg

lP5Syqu.jpg

We made Lunch on Bear Trap Lake, then explored some more.
SqeZXgB.jpg

jOfAevv.jpg

We eventually made our way back to Gun Lake to visit with Hogan. As supper is being made, Jake got tired and went to the canoe to take a nap.
FTr6LLq.jpg

On an evening paddle, Jake and I watched Hogan fishing from camp as the evening camp fire gets started.
oF8BafG.jpg

I have to dry the inside of the canoe on occasion.
6TJudFr.jpg

Hogan Jake and I traveled a bit back south to Gull Lake. We were nervous and dismayed at how people have treated the camp sites, too much garbage. We wondered about unwanted critters in camp. As we were setting up a tarp, Jake chased away a bear that was checking us out! Nice job Jake!
7hHPc5a.jpg

We were very careful about keeping our camp clean. We found out later on our trip, a bear went to the next site, about 3/4 of a mile away and pestered that group for three days. With Jake in camp, we did not have any issue after that. One evening at exactly 1:20 am, the wolves started howling and were not real close, but in the area. Jake grew nervous and I told him to be quiet. He did not make a sound the rest of the night.

So the next day, he and I had to go exploring portages again.
0D715NP.jpg

Time to rest on a rock before heading back to camp.
6VlqK2V.jpg

We were wind bound for a day and a half ... and then strong storms blew in. The wind was intense and we did all we could to tie our gear down and avoid dead heads ... and rode it out.
vCj201P.jpg

ziCloFt.jpg

rjJsgLn.jpg

Eventually, we made our way south ... with a strong North wind at our backs, but with a cold rain and temps in the high 40's.
vYI7FmD.jpg

NzZR5UW.jpg

tugyPYK.jpg

So, strong winds, bears, messy camps, cold weather and rain ... I would do it again in a heart beat. It was a wonderful experience to be in the back country again and to share it with my pup and my buddy Hogan. In fact, it is about time for another rum ... and my knee and aches feel pretty good as I relive our trip.

Bob.

Good stuff, Bob. Sounds like a great time. Love seeing other people trip with their dogs. It sure is a special feeling to see them just settle in, behave, and do what they're supposed to do. Entertaining guests, chasing bears, napping in the canoe, and keeping quiet when told....Jake sounds like a great dog.

Alan

In fact other than being on my trips, the next best thing about them is the contentment of reliving them ... often with a nice rum.

Bob.

I am in total agreement...almost. The only disagreement is I would substitute the rum for some smoked maple Kentucky whiskey on ice.

I enjoyed the photos and report. Thanks for sharing.

I am in total agreement...almost. The only disagreement is I would substitute the rum for some smoked maple Kentucky whiskey on ice.

I enjoyed the photos and report. Thanks for sharing.

I couldn't decide last week and brought both. No ice needed.

Great looking trip Bob and even better looking dog.

Thanks for sharing your awesome pictures. How ever did you manage ice for drinks in the BWCA? Looks like a wonderful trip.

Back