• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

20' E.M. White

Reaction score
While I'm on a roll... Here are some photos of a very challenging restoration of, what I believe is, an E.M. White. I have another 20' White built around 1913 and everything about this canoe said E.M. White from the beveled and wide planking, shape of the thwarts, and decks, to the tapered ribs. Unfortunately, you will see in the pics, not a lot was salvageable. The canoe was given to me by a guy who restores canoes proffesionaly. After the cost of his time and materials, he would not have been able to turn a profit. I, on the other hand, was looking for a challenge, not a profit. Careful what you wish for!
I intentionally left the new wood natural rather than trying to match the dark patina of the original wood. This was a challenge project so I thought it would be better to allow one to see what was new and what was saved.
I basicaly was able to save 13 of 49 ribs, 2 of 4 thwarts, 1 seat, a handful of half ribs, and about 25 linear feet of planking. After replacing the rest - she was as good as new!

Attachments

• photo5184.jpg
    photo5184.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 9
  • photo5186.jpg
    photo5186.jpg
    610 KB · Views: 6
  • photo5185.jpg
    photo5185.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 8
  • photo5187.jpg
    photo5187.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo5189.jpg
    photo5189.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo5190.jpg
    photo5190.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo5188.jpg
    photo5188.jpg
    586 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5191.jpg
    photo5191.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo5192.jpg
    photo5192.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo5193.jpg
    photo5193.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 4
  • photo5194.jpg
    photo5194.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5195.jpg
    photo5195.jpg
    566 KB · Views: 2
  • photo5196.jpg
    photo5196.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5197.jpg
    photo5197.jpg
    634.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5198.jpg
    photo5198.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo5199.jpg
    photo5199.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo5200.jpg
    photo5200.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5201.jpg
    photo5201.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo5202.jpg
    photo5202.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5203.jpg
    photo5203.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5204.jpg
    photo5204.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo5205.jpg
    photo5205.jpg
    923.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5206.jpg
    photo5206.jpg
    898 KB · Views: 2
  • photo5208.jpg
    photo5208.jpg
    821.3 KB · Views: 4
  • photo5207.jpg
    photo5207.jpg
    945.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo5209.jpg
    photo5209.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • photo5210.jpg
    photo5210.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • photo5211.jpg
    photo5211.jpg
    756.3 KB · Views: 5
  • photo5212.jpg
    photo5212.jpg
    909.4 KB · Views: 5
  • photo5213.jpg
    photo5213.jpg
    755.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo5214.jpg
    photo5214.jpg
    739.4 KB · Views: 4
  • photo5215.jpg
    photo5215.jpg
    836.8 KB · Views: 4
  • photo5216.jpg
    photo5216.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5217.jpg
    photo5217.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo5218.jpg
    photo5218.jpg
    883.8 KB · Views: 5
Very nice and much effort put forth, something I have coming still.

In the photo's it doesn't show your rib method... do you bend them around the outside like is pretty standard, or, do you just bend the steamed wood in place on the inside. I know some do that and I would like to try it, almost guaranteed they will fit properly, unlike the times the outside wrap has the wrong angle or is just too wide at the turn on the bilge. The odd time I've tried on the inside it tends to bulge the planking out, so I'm obviously not doing it correctly yet.

Maybe next year I will get back to the Morris.

Karin

Very nice and much effort put forth, something I have coming still.

In the photo's it doesn't show your rib method... do you bend them around the outside like is pretty standard, or, do you just bend the steamed wood in place on the inside. I know some do that and I would like to try it, almost guaranteed they will fit properly, unlike the times the outside wrap has the wrong angle or is just too wide at the turn on the bilge. The odd time I've tried on the inside it tends to bulge the planking out, so I'm obviously not doing it correctly yet.

Maybe next year I will get back to the Morris.

Karin
Karin,
I bend the ribs on the outside. In the case of this canoe, it was very time consuming as each rib had to be done in a separate operation. If multiple ribs are done at the same time, it is too easy to begin to distort the hull shape. The other "fly in the ointment" is the two part proceedure I used. I first had to replace the bad rib, and later, in a second stage, remove the planking and replace with new against the new rib. Far easier to build from scratch on a nice sturdy form.
Dave

That is beautiful work but I fear it is optimistic to label it a restoration..lol. You pretty much built a new one on an EM White form. I like the honest approach though with not trying to hide how much repalcement wood is there. I would have been tempted to replace all the rest too and make it brand spanking new. Thats easily a $5000 boat.

We are rotting cedar collectors also and have some that are less than half original when finished. Boats that are meant to be put back to work, not hung in someones living room. Somebody has to do it and yoiu sir, rock.

Christy

That is beautiful work but I fear it is optimistic to label it a restoration..lol. You pretty much built a new one on an EM White form. I like the honest approach though with not trying to hide how much repalcement wood is there. I would have been tempted to replace all the rest too and make it brand spanking new. Thats easily a $5000 boat.

We are rotting cedar collectors also and have some that are less than half original when finished. Boats that are meant to be put back to work, not hung in someones living room. Somebody has to do it and yoiu sir, rock.

Christy
Christy,
Thanks. I agree, it's not really a restoration, and I can only surmise that it is an E.M. White since there was no builder's plate, etc. I had actually thought of replacing the few original parts, but liked the idea that at least part of an old canoe will be travelling once again. It would easily be $5000+ if I had itemized parts and labor!
Dave

Christy,
Thanks. I agree, it's not really a restoration, and I can only surmise that it is an E.M. White since there was no builder's plate, etc. I had actually thought of replacing the few original parts, but liked the idea that at least part of an old canoe will be travelling once again. It would easily be $5000+ if I had itemized parts and labor!
Dave

I lik ethe fact that you kept some of the old parts, it makes it that much more interesting, it has a story to tell!
Great work!

Abenakiregion.........
Someone once wrote, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever", I don't know who wrote that, so I can not give them credit, but they were looking at the canoe you restored. Well done, I love the old and new!! Great craftsmanship, you should be standing proud, we all salute you!!!
............BB

Abenakiregion , Its amazing what a person with a vision & patience can accomplish. " A river cuts rock not thru power but persistence" but I think You know that already !

Lovely finished boat. I also like the recovered parts, in the yacht world this would definitely qualify as a restoration!

One question: I'm not sure if this is a camera distortion thing, or an optical illusion, but on the back of the truck, the keel line looks like the stems run deeper than the hull at beam, sort of a reverse rocker. Is this part of the shape, distortion from the loading method, my imagination? If it's real, is that part of the original designed shape?

Lovely finished boat. I also like the recovered parts, in the yacht world this would definitely qualify as a restoration!

One question: I'm not sure if this is a camera distortion thing, or an optical illusion, but on the back of the truck, the keel line looks like the stems run deeper than the hull at beam, sort of a reverse rocker. Is this part of the shape, distortion from the loading method, my imagination? If it's real, is that part of the original designed shape?
It's probably a combination of the above. The keel line on a White is pretty much straight, and this one is not arrow straight after all the rib replacements. I didn't note any large amount of distortion and the shiny shellac bottom bounces the light around quite a bit.
Dave

What a nice restoration, and it looks like a really nice poling canoe. Perfect for your area.

Did you hold that big clinching iron by yourself in the middle of that big canoe? And then do it over again when you replaced the plank...my arms hurt just looking at the pictures and thinking about that.
Keeping everything square and level must have been some effort, I can only imagine.
Thanks for posting those pictures, really nice build history.

What a nice restoration, and it looks like a really nice poling canoe. Perfect for your area.

Did you hold that big clinching iron by yourself in the middle of that big canoe? And then do it over again when you replaced the plank...my arms hurt just looking at the pictures and thinking about that.
Keeping everything square and level must have been some effort, I can only imagine.
Thanks for posting those pictures, really nice build history.
All the E.M. White Guides are great poling canoes. this 20' paddles very nice too. I was able to do my own clinching until time for the half ribs. Then I had to call on a friend to help.
Dave

Back