• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Bowron Lake Provincial Park, British Columbia

Reaction score
When I saw Steve in Idaho's post about going to the Bowron Lake Circuit this year, I did a search on my computer, and found an old 1996 slide show of 115 slides. This surprised me, as I had never given a slide show on this trip before. So I looked in my slide trays, and scanned in the first 20. I posted them yesterday on Steve's posting in Canoe Destinations. This morning, I decided it would be better to post them in Canadian Trip Reports. So I learned how to share photos in this posting. Unfortunately, they all came out small. So then I decided to delete them, and just start over. I have been having trouble deleting them, and one still remains. If I can't get rid of it, I will just live with it, and start all over uploading to this thread. Frustrating!!

Attachments

• photo15284.jpg
    photo15284.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Bowron001.jpg

Kathleen and I did this trip with one other couple, Brian and Marg. They were pretty news to paddling, and invited us to join them, not only for company, but also for support. Bowron Lake is a very popular destination. As you can see, the trip is a circuit that brings you back to the beginning. No shuttle is necessary.

Bowron002.jpg

We began the trip on September 28, and finished on October 4. Total length of the trip is 116 km (72 miles).I didn't keep a diary or journal, so pretty much all I have are captions.

Bowron003.jpg

There are several portage trails, and many people use carts. We rented carts at the park headquarters. As you can read in the sign, total load in the canoe must not exceed 60 lbs (27 kg). This helps to reduce wear and tear on the trails.

Bowron004.jpg

Me starting to load the canoe.

Bowron005.jpg

Brian and Marg beginning the portage of 2.4 km (1.5 miles) to Kibbee Lake.

Bowron006.jpg

We have arrived at Kibbee Lake. I have not seen these images since 1996. I'm thinking that one reason we never gave a slide show to our canoe club, is that many of the images are very underexposed. I have tried to brighten them with "Preview," which did not exist in 1996.

Bowron007.jpg

Kathleen preparing to depart on Kibbee Lake.

Bowron008.jpg

View down Kibbee Lake.

Bowron009.jpg

Kathleen on Kibbee Lake.

Bowron010.jpg

Brian and Marg on Kibbee Lake. Finally a respectable image!

Bowron011.jpg

Brian and Marg enjoying lunch between Kibbee and Indianpoint Lakes.

Bowron012.jpg

Kathleen looking back up Kibbee Lake.

Bowron013.jpg

Bear cache at camp between Kibbee and Indianpoint Lakes.

Bowron014.jpg

Preparing to portage 2.0 km (1.2 miles) to Indianpoint Lake.

Bowron015.jpg

Brian and Marg enjoying an evening paddle on Indianpoint Lake.

Bowron016.jpg

Morning camp on Indianpoint Lake.

Bowron017.jpg

View of Indianpoint Lake from camp.

Bowron018.jpg

Following Brian and Marg on Indianpoint Lake.

Bowron019.jpg

Enjoying fall colours on Indianpoint Lake.

Bowron020.jpg

Brian and Marg in the west-pointing arm of Issac Lake after a portage of 1.6 km (1 mile).

Steve In Idaho. You need not do the trip. We have offered the pictures and given you a virtual journey.

Not;)
There are a couple of trips that I would still do now that I am old in the 70's . The Yukon River is one. This is the other.

One sometimes disses a trip as being "done". Both are trips I would gladly do again.

I love canoeing on lakes surrounded by mountains. In the U.S. you can do that in the Adirondacks, Maine and some other places in the East, but so many of the parks in Canada seem so flat, as is the Boundary Waters in Minnesota. So I like the looks of Bowron, but I doubt I'll ever get there. Speaking of mountains, PaddlingPitt, what are those slashes on the mountain in your last picture. I'd guess ski runs, but they look awful steep.

I love canoeing on lakes surrounded by mountains. In the U.S. you can do that in the Adirondacks, Maine and some other places in the East, but so many of the parks in Canada seem so flat, as is the Boundary Waters in Minnesota. So I like the looks of Bowron, but I doubt I'll ever get there. Speaking of mountains, PaddlingPitt, what are those slashes on the mountain in your last picture. I'd guess ski runs, but they look awful steep.

The Yukon is a Territory in Canada. Alberta is a Province in Canada, British Columbia is a province. Newfoundland and Labrador are provinces.. None are flat. Northwest Terr not flat. Quebec has the fjords and the Gaspe. Not flat. Lake Superior east coastline in ON not flat.

Bowron021.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron021.jpg Views:	0 Size:	315.2 KB ID:	109502

This is our second day on the circuit, and we are enjoying lunch on Isaac Lake. All camping in the park is restricted to designated areas.

Bowron022.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron022.jpg Views:	0 Size:	253.2 KB ID:	109503

We are now paddling toward Wolverine Bay, where Isaac Lake bends to the southeast.

Bowron023.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron023.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.7 KB ID:	109504

View from our evening camp at Lynx Creek on Isaac Lake.

Bowron024.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.1 KB ID:	109505

View from our morning camp at Lynx Creek on Isaac Lake.

Bowron025.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron025.jpg Views:	0 Size:	257.7 KB ID:	109506

Lunch at campsite #24 on Isaac Lake.

Bowron026.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron026.jpg Views:	0 Size:	249.1 KB ID:	109507

Lingering over lunch in this main arm (31.2 km; 19.3 miles) of Isaac Lake.

Bowron027.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron027.jpg Views:	0 Size:	173.4 KB ID:	109508

Approaching the south end of Isaac Lake.

Bowron028.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron028.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.2 KB ID:	109509

Looking back up Isaac Lake. We have gotten out of the canoe to scout "The Chute."

Bowron029.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron029.jpg Views:	0 Size:	281.4 KB ID:	109510

The Park brochure advises that "Inexperienced canoeists should portage (the chute). For those that do run the river, gear should be wrapped and secured in the canoe. This part of the Isaac River is navigable for 400 metres (somewhat more than 400 yards) ending in a large pool at the head of the Cascades."

Bowron030.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron030.jpg Views:	0 Size:	282.0 KB ID:	109511

Kathleen and I ran "The Chute" first, eddying out in the pool on river left. Although somewhat new canoeists, Brian and Marg decided that they would also run "The Chute."

Bowron031.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron031.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.4 KB ID:	109512

Brian and Marg descending "The Chute."

Bowron032.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron032.jpg Views:	0 Size:	298.3 KB ID:	109513

Brian and Marg heading toward river left in "The Chute."

Bowron033.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron033.jpg Views:	0 Size:	369.8 KB ID:	109514

Brian and Marg eddying out on river left. Well done!

Bowron035.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron035.jpg Views:	0 Size:	320.1 KB ID:	109515

We ended our third day camped on river left at the bottom of "The Chute."

Bowron036.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron036.jpg Views:	0 Size:	307.6 KB ID:	109516

We enjoyed the convenience of a sheltered cook site here, at the end on Isaac Lake.

Bowron034.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron034.jpg Views:	0 Size:	256.1 KB ID:	109517

Looking down the Isaac River where two more obstacles wait for us tomorrow: "The Cascades," and a waterfall.

Bowron037.jpg

The next morning, Brian and Marg ferry out into the current below "The Chute."

Bowron038.jpg

They enter the current of the Isaac River,

Bowron039.jpg

And we all take the short paddle to "The Cascades."

Bowron040.jpg

We look for the sign on river left,

Bowron041.jpg

that points out the beginning of the portage trail around "The Cascades."

Bowron042.jpg

Good thing we were paying attention!

Bowron043.jpg

"The Cascades" would be quite the ride.

Bowron044.jpg

Looking back up to "The Cascades."

Bowron045.jpg

I'm taking a break after the portage (about 300 metres or yards) around "The Cascades."

Bowron046.jpg

Brian ready to paddle on down to the waterfall.

Bowron047.jpg

Kathleen prepares to ferry out into the Isaac River.

Bowron048.jpg

And there she goes! (Note: Kathleen wasn't paddling solo. I was in the stern.)

Bowron049.jpg

Brian and Marg paddling down the Isaac River on their way to the waterfall.

Bowron050.jpg

The approximate 200 metre portage abound the waterfall takes us to McLeary Lake.

Bowron053.jpg

We enjoy lunch at McLeary Lake.

Bowron051.jpg

After lunch, we hike back up the trail to view the waterfall. That's me on the left.

Bowron054.jpg

At the end of our fourth day, we set up camp at site #34, at Turner Creek on Lanezi Lake.

Bowron055.jpg

Kathleen prepares supper at Turner Creek.

Bowron056.jpg

The day had been dry and clear. The evening was warm. Perhaps the most enjoyable day on the circuit.

Bowron057.jpg

Enjoying the contentment of a day spent paddling.

Bowron058.jpg

Later that evening, another group of canoeists paddle by our camp - the first time we had seen other people on the trip. Only three more paddling days. We hope the good weather continues.

Bowron059.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron059.jpg Views:	0 Size:	191.7 KB ID:	109676

The next morning, however, was cold and winter-like, as we continued west down Lanezi Lake.

Bowron060.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron060.jpg Views:	0 Size:	251.7 KB ID:	109677

I was intrigued by the idea that a lake would have "Dangerous Rocks." After all, the lake is used only by paddlers. Not power boats.

That blurb in the box says that "Navigating the silt-laded waters of the Cariboo River requires care and attention. Canoeists must remain alert for sweepers, deadheads and other hazards at all times." We had paddled the 5.2 km (3 miles) of the Cariboo River yesterday, but took no pictures. As I post this 24 years later, neither Kathleen nor I remember anything about the Cariboo River. So it must not have been too difficult. Mason, jeffski and yellowcanoe have all paddled this circuit before. If any of you are reading this post, could you refresh my memory of what the river was like?

Bowron065.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron065.jpg Views:	0 Size:	194.4 KB ID:	109678

We approach the Dangerous Rocks.

Bowron063.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron063.jpg Views:	0 Size:	207.9 KB ID:	109679

Brian and Marg challenge the Dangerous Rocks.

Bowron064.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron064.jpg Views:	0 Size:	173.4 KB ID:	109680

The Dangerous Rocks have been vanquished.

Bowron066.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron066.jpg Views:	0 Size:	250.2 KB ID:	109681

Looking east, back up Lanezi Lake, while having lunch at camp #37.

Bowron067.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron067.jpg Views:	0 Size:	299.1 KB ID:	109682

We have now entered Sandy Lake, after a 1.2 km (0.75 miles) run down the Cariboo River from Lanezi Lake.

Bowron069.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron069.jpg Views:	0 Size:	200.0 KB ID:	109683

The moose paid almost no attention to us at all.

Bowron070.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron070.jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.5 KB ID:	109684

We just silently drifted by in the autumn stillness.

Bowron072.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron072.jpg Views:	0 Size:	228.7 KB ID:	109685

Resting at Babcock Lake, after a 3.6 km (2.2 miles) run on the Cariboo River from Sandy Lake.

Bowron073.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron073.jpg Views:	0 Size:	326.7 KB ID:	109686

We have arrived at Unna Lake, our intended camp for the night. There is also a sign indicating the direction south down the Cariboo River.

Bowron074.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron074.jpg Views:	0 Size:	218.7 KB ID:	109687

A very graphic sign. One must be very careful to take the turnoff to Unna Lake, and not head down the Cariboo River,

Bowron075.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron075.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.3 KB ID:	109688

as Cariboo Falls lie just around the bend.

Bowron076.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron076.jpg Views:	0 Size:	380.8 KB ID:	109689

After setting up camp, we paddle across Unna Lake, and hike approximately 1 km (half-a-mile),

Bowron077.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron077.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.9 KB ID:	109690

to the 24 metre (78 feet) Cariboo Falls.

Bowron079.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron079.jpg Views:	0 Size:	237.4 KB ID:	109691

Cariboo River below the falls.

Bowron080.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron080.jpg Views:	0 Size:	363.3 KB ID:	109692

We end our fifth day at a very nice camp and sandy beach on Unna Lake.

Last edited:
Bowron081.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron081.jpg Views:	0 Size:	244.7 KB ID:	109737

The following morning, we prepare to paddle over to Babcock Creek, which will take us to Babcock Lake.

Bowron082.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron082.jpg Views:	0 Size:	270.0 KB ID:	109738

I think it's that way to Babcock Creek.

Bowron083.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron083.jpg Views:	0 Size:	194.1 KB ID:	109739

Yep. Still going the right way!

Bowron084.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron084.jpg Views:	0 Size:	269.1 KB ID:	109740

We approach the Babcock Creek Ranger Station.

Bowron085.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron085.jpg Views:	0 Size:	248.2 KB ID:	109741

Kathleen at the Babcock Creek Ranger Station, which also had a phone. When we did the circuit in 1996, there are 6 phones along the way. I don't know if phones are still there, or if cell service is available now.

Bowron086.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron086.jpg Views:	0 Size:	224.9 KB ID:	109742

View up Babcock Creek from Ranger Station.

Bowron089.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron089.jpg Views:	0 Size:	297.6 KB ID:	109743

Me dragging up Babcock Creek.

Bowron091.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron091.jpg Views:	0 Size:	272.2 KB ID:	109744

Me pulling up Babcock Creek.

Bowron093.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron093.jpg Views:	0 Size:	373.0 KB ID:	109745

Brian & Marg dragging over beaver dam on Babcock Creek.

Bowron094.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron094.jpg Views:	0 Size:	360.1 KB ID:	109746

Just about over!

Bowron100.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron100.jpg Views:	0 Size:	381.2 KB ID:	109747

To protect the habitat on Babcock Creek, we were told that beginning the next year, 1997, there would be a portage trail along Babcock Creek.

Bowron099.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron099.jpg Views:	0 Size:	266.3 KB ID:	109748

My brochure from 1996 indicates that canoeists would line 1.2 km (0.75 miles) up Babcock Creek. The following link to a current brochure indicates that canoeists would portage 1.2 km up Babcock Creek: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/bowron_lk/bowron_lk_broch_map_print_11x17.pdf

Bowron101.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron101.jpg Views:	0 Size:	201.7 KB ID:	109749

We paddle 2.8 km (1.7 miles) across Babcock Lake.

Bowron102.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron102.jpg Views:	0 Size:	398.2 KB ID:	109750

We begin our 0.4 km (0.25 miles) portage to Skoi Lake.

Bowron103.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron103.jpg Views:	0 Size:	295.4 KB ID:	109751

I really didn't enjoy using the canoe cart. If I were to do this circuit again, I would just portage the old way. But that's just me.

Bowron104.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron104.jpg Views:	0 Size:	292.6 KB ID:	109752

End of the 0.4 km portage. Dang, I look beat!!

Bowron105.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron105.jpg Views:	0 Size:	350.8 KB ID:	109753

After paddling 0.8 km (0.5 miles) across Skoi Lake, we reach the portage to Spectacle Lake.

Bowron106.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron106.jpg Views:	0 Size:	351.1 KB ID:	109754

Only 0.4 km (0.25 miles) to Spectacle Lake.

Bowron107.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Bowron107.jpg Views:	0 Size:	201.1 KB ID:	109755

For our last night on the circuit, we set up camp on Spectacle Lake. During dinner, these canoeists drifted by, only the second other paddlers we had seen in six days. They didn't even acknowledge our presence. Perhaps we didn't belong in their wilderness experience. Only one paddling day left to take us back to the Park Headquarters.

Last edited:
Babcock Creek is now a portage, fairly long, too! It sure was fun years back tracking up the creek! I don't think the fish liked it though.

Babcock Creek is now a portage, fairly long, too! It sure was fun years back tracking up the creek! I don't think the fish liked it though.

Now you will get your ying yang docked if you wade it. It is stocked and there are warning signs that wading is not allowed along with the usual threats of fines etc.

Nice photos. Someday I'll try to figure out how to get my thousands of slides, if I can find them, into a computer.

I also like your Charlie Walbridge red Hi-Float whitewater PFDs. I have one of those.

What time of year was the trip and the temperatures? You all are pretty much bundled up on land and water.

Nice photos. Someday I'll try to figure out how to get my thousands of slides, if I can find them, into a computer.

I also like your Charlie Walbridge red Hi-Float whitewater PFDs. I have one of those.

What time of year was the trip and the temperatures? You all are pretty much bundled up on land and water.

Glenn,

My bad for neglecting to say when we did the trip. We started on September 28, and finished on October 4. The upside of a late season trip, was that we saw only two other canoes. During the height of the season, one often has to share designated campsites with strangers, albeit like-minded paddlers. A downside of this late-season trip was that the days were short, and the nights were very long. I didn’t record temperatures, but they were certainly on the cool side. I don’t remember if we had any frost, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Heavy dew most nights. Firewood was soaked, and very difficult to establish a true campfire. Lots of time in the tent.

Scanning slides is tedious. If they have mostly been stored, without taking them out of the tray, they are pretty clean. If they have been viewed over the years, they have lots of grunge on them. I might clean and scan a slide three, four or five times. Once I get it pretty clean, I give it to Kathleen, who uses Adobe Photoshop Element to sort of paste over the defect with surrounding background.

We still have those Hi-float PFDs. I keep meaning to replace them, as they are probably no longer high-float. But I always say, “Heck. They’re probably still good.”

Bowron109.jpg

Our last (7[SUP]th[/SUP]) day, on October 4[SUP]th[/SUP], we head down Spectacle Lake in a drizzle that has continued since last evening.

Bowron110.jpg

We are becoming wet and discouraged, and look forward to the take-out at the end of Bowron Lake.

Bowron111.jpg

We continue to paddle in the rain, as we approach the north end of Spectacle Lakes.

Bowron112.jpg

The rain continues as we paddle 7.2 km (4.5 miles) down Bowron Lake.

Bowron113.jpg

Even our Goretex, only four years old, is now beginning to leak.

Bowron114.jpg

We finally approach the north end of Bowron Lake.

Bowron115.jpg

I carry the canoe back up the short portage to the van. I don't remember what I did with that canoe cart. I don't know why I didn't secure the painters within the deck bungees. Maybe it was the rain. I hate the rain. We were glad to have done the Bowron Lake Circuit. Everyone in British Columbia has done it. And now so have we. But Kathleen and I are not big fans of popular, and often crowded canoe trips. We rebel against areas that have designated camping sites. After all, that's why we became canoeists. To paddle down unending rivers. To camp where and when we please. To be free from the noise of civilization. To be emancipated from our fellow citizens, even though they be paddlers. But hey, that's just us. To each their own.

We did our trip late August. We had to share a site twice at the start of the trip then we saw no one.

I scanned some two thousand slides with a Wolverine. It only took two days to clean and digitize them. Some were from 1969. I wanted to bug my kids digitally now with baby pictures! The Wolverine was pricey but very easy to use. Now it needs another home

Back