• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Rebuild advice

Reaction score
CEAD14B9-A585-43C5-A7BD-EF57620156DB.jpeg My wife’s family grew up using this canoe and she would like to paddle it again. Really odd construction. The hull is fiberglass with thin faux wood ribs. 15’ 6”s long and a 38” beam. I believe it is a Mansfield by Stowe Canoe Co. I’m not looking to make it new again, just usable. I have long enough spruce for new in and outer gunwales. One of the decks is toast and the bottom needs repainted. The big question is some of the ribs are dry rotted and cracked. Not falling apart, but not great. I was thinking once the varnish is off to use penetrating epoxy. The tricky bit is that about halfway down the sides the ribs are glassed into the bottom. Can I fair the epoxy into the existing glass? Any other method advisable?
Thanks

Bob

The Stow Mansfield canoes like that are a knock off of the Merrimack canoe company. Stows were made for about 10 years, Merrimack is in its 66th year and they are in Minnesota now. Assuming it was made like a Merrimack there was no varnish used in construction at least. The ribs are put in with resin and then coated with resin, not varnish. Now it's usually vinyl ester but was probably epoxy or polyester resin when it was built. The ribs are veneer and extremely hard to replace but if you clean them up, etc. I have had good results recoating the whole inside with resin.

My wife’s family grew up using this canoe and she would like to paddle it again. Really odd construction. The hull is fiberglass with thin faux wood ribs. 15’ 6”s long and a 38” beam. I believe it is a Mansfield by Stowe Canoe Co. I’m not looking to make it new again, just usable. I have long enough spruce for new in and outer gunwales. One of the decks is toast and the bottom needs repainted. The big question is some of the ribs are dry rotted and cracked. Not falling apart, but not great. I was thinking once the varnish is off to use penetrating epoxy. The tricky bit is that about halfway down the sides the ribs are glassed into the bottom. Can I fair the epoxy into the existing glass? Any other method advisable?
Thanks

Bob

Well worth restoring !

When you get the gunnels off ? can you take pics of the inside of them and post a pic ? The decks also ? Guessing the decks are rotted at the pointed end, like the Mad River canoe I'm working on.

BWCA has more experience with these ribbed glass canoes .

My brother paddles a Loon that looks like this but made on the West Coast. They go by Merrimack now but have had several different names.

I traded an old saddle for one of these once. It had the same small cracks in some of the ribs. I thought of using epoxy in a little syringe as the solution. I sold the canoe for $700 a long time ago.

Thanks BWCA. I am not certain on the maker- I can’t find any numbers or name. The dimensions just match a Stowe that was made.

Jim- will do. One deck is good- nice to have a template. There are large brass end caps which should shine up nice.

Being so wide it should be good with the kids and fishing.

Bob

don't know if it's still available but boat builders used to use a kit with two different epoxies, a "primer" that was like water and would soak into the wood to seal and stabilize it, then an epoxy putty to rebuild any missing wood, That plus some faux painting (you can buy a graining tool) might make for a solid , aesthetically pleasing repair

My brother paddles a Loon that looks like this but made on the West Coast. They go by Merrimack now but have had several different names.

I traded an old saddle for one of these once. It had the same small cracks in some of the ribs. I thought of using epoxy in a little syringe as the solution. I sold the canoe for $700 a long time ago.

The Loon is a Navarro canoe. Navarro's were a family split from Merrimack and they were on the west coast for a long time but are now made in Rockford, Illinois.

Thanks BWCA. I am not certain on the maker- I can’t find any numbers or name. The dimensions just match a Stowe that was made.

Jim- will do. One deck is good- nice to have a template. There are large brass end caps which should shine up nice.

Being so wide it should be good with the kids and fishing.

Bob

If those seats are original it's probably a Mansfield, they used cane. Ribs and outer gunnels were most likely mahogany.

E4359BCF-BCA9-47CC-9962-83F07B0C7291.jpeg8E6E215D-43D1-4284-B9EF-4BF100119432.jpegE7FF208D-A52B-4B32-8622-129BCDE05C3B.jpeg Here you go Jim- are you collecting these for a coffee table book? “The trouble with screwed gunnels”

Attachments

• E7FF208D-A52B-4B32-8622-129BCDE05C3B.jpeg
    E7FF208D-A52B-4B32-8622-129BCDE05C3B.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 8E6E215D-43D1-4284-B9EF-4BF100119432.jpeg
    8E6E215D-43D1-4284-B9EF-4BF100119432.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 0
  • E4359BCF-BCA9-47CC-9962-83F07B0C7291.jpeg
    E4359BCF-BCA9-47CC-9962-83F07B0C7291.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 1
8D7A36DE-1597-4DA6-B82D-6ABA94F0FCC0.jpeg I ran into this mess. The inwales are staples through the veneer ribs and hull. Not enough material to grab onto. I am planning on carefully cutting or grinding them off and pulling them through unless someone has a better method. Thanks.

Bob

Yes ! I'm Starting a Collection of Rotted Screwed on Gunnels and Decks ! Oh if they only would have had Weep Holes !

IMG_3334_zpsrvo0nv4o.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3334_zpsrvo0nv4o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	256.0 KB ID:	111053

I Wish I had Stapled the Outwhales on this canoe ! It would have held them in place. While I clamped and drilled the Inwhales. I wish I would have thought of that !

Thanks Bob !

Last edited:
5ACA9AA6-C2F3-4C2D-9005-7A8D662259B6.jpeg
Never thought I would take an angle grinder to a canoe, but it worked with no damage.

Jim - if you have any love for your offspring or whom ever comes after you to restore one of your boats, please do not staple and glue anything! Holy moly what a chore. Granted your ribs aren’t veneers- nuts. Really stuck together.

The worst inwhale damage was where the yoke and seats were drilled through. Makes sense I guess.

Thankfully the rib ends were not as bad as I expected.

Now sanding- my favorite... sure beats my day job though.

Bob

C3790CC7-6323-436D-A12C-9964F7AA846F.jpeg 96D8B0F4-936B-48D9-9EC7-B926AA42BADC.jpeg I’ve been distracted by another project, but this one has finally gotten some attention. Thank you to BWCA66 for pointing me in the right direction. I’m pleased with how it’s turning out.

Bob

The canoe I sold had the same ailment in the ribs. It looked like a difficult business to remove and replace the ribs, so the first thing I thought of was applying small amounts of epoxy with a syringe. Penetrating epoxy would be even better. Except for the gunwales and decks, I would be reluctant to start tearing into the ribs on a hybrid fiberglass and wood canoe. This one passes the eye test from 5-8 feet. That is good enough for repair, but maybe not for a restoration.

Back