• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

GRB Newman Design

Reaction score
I'd like to recognize Gene Newman and his company. I just bought one of his six degree bent shaft paddles and I'm very happy with the paddle and the customer service.
image.jpeg

I've been using GRB paddles, and their custom woodstrip voyageur and other race canoes since 2007. Brothers John and Gene Newman are great long time supporters of the canoe race community. I have their paddles in one inch increments from 48-53 inches, some are duplicated. When I cracked a blade in half during a race by wedging it between rocks they replaced it, no problem. Always carry a spare for such instances.

Last edited:
I bought my first GRB paddle several weeks ago, and so far I love it. Weight, balance and general feel are spot on. I have the 12 degree, 50 inches. Great to buy something from a real company/person, as opposed to the 'ships from and sold by da maschine'.

I bought the paddle as a companion to my Zav Z Medium, which I've had for 10 years and is a bit beat up. They are competing for the starting job. The Zav may have to be content with shallow water work.

My GRB is my most used paddle, used it for several years of open canoe downriver whitewater racing, tough as nails and very light. My ZRE's are a bit lighter but not as durable. Even when using the ZRE the GRB is always in the boat.

I've been using GRB paddles, and their custom woodstrip voyageur and other race canoes since 2007. Brothers John and Gene Newman are great long time supporters of the canoe race community. I have their paddles in one inch increments from 48-53 inches, some are duplicated. When I cracked a blade in half during a race by wedging it between rocks they replaced it, no problem. Always carry a spare for such instances.
I know this is an older thread, but how do people get in contact with GRB? The number listed online appears to be disconnected.

I also purchased a 6 degree paddle from Gene last November. Gene made sure that I got it by Christmas. I have not had the chance to use it yet, but the quality and weight are fantastic. I also highly recommend GRB Newman.
By the way, they have a new 14.5 foot graphite solo canoe that weighs a bit over 20 lbs. The canoe is called the Legend. they currently have a special price of $2700. I wish I had more space in the garage!

I also purchased a 6 degree paddle from Gene last November. Gene made sure that I got it by Christmas. I have not had the chance to use it yet, but the quality and weight are fantastic. I also highly recommend GRB Newman.
By the way, they have a new 14.5 foot graphite solo canoe that weighs a bit over 20 lbs. The canoe is called the Legend. they currently have a special price of $2700. I wish I had more space in the garage!
I came very close to buying a Legend last year, but went for his Rambler instead, picked it up in October. Gene does a real nice quality layup, not sure how he makes a profit. Love his carbon sliding bucket seat, might order one for a different boat.
Rambler.JPG

Back