• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Hello from North Carolina

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Just sat down at my desk and saw my canotripping registration come through and figured I'd use that as an excuse to avoid work for a few minutes.

We're new to canoeing. Slightly inspired by kids folk music group the Okee Dokee Bros [who have a netflix 40 minute thing about canoeing down the mississippi], we're taking our 8 and 10 year old girls canoe camping on Lake Saranac at the end of the summer (well, pending viral concerns). So I spent the winter cruising craigslist (the old, "if it doesn't take, we can sell 'em and get our money back", strategy that never actually quite works for me) and are now the proud owners of slightly used Wenonah Spirit 2 and Old Town Penobscot.

I'm happy with both so far, but they've each only been out a few times. I like the Wenonah a bit better, except it doesn't work for me to take out solo as it's currently set up. Alas.

So far we've only done lakes with the girls to keep logistics simple, but I'd like to do a short trip down the Yadkin River soon. I was going to try it a few days ago, but then we got hit by nasty storms and the river got angry. I have taken the Penobscot to the Yadkin and paddled a half mile upstream and then right back down, which was a fun introduction, but planning on letting the current support me next time.

Hope everyone's staying safe out there.

doug in Winston-Salem, NC

Welcome, Hope the trip to the ADK's works out for you, get destanation with family and canoes.

Hello. North Carolina is one of my favorite states, and states of mind. Must be full on spring down there by now.

Spirit, OT Penobscot, and the Adirondacks. You have done well, grasshopper. Hard to go wrong with that combination. Best of luck.

Hello Doug

Welcome fro Pinnacle, NC. We're about 25-30 minutes north of downtown W-S on the west side of Sauratown Mountain, If you want to shoot me your phone number by PM I'd be glad to fill you in on what we've found in our three years here for good paddling sites including a number of family friendly campgrounds that offer some campsites with level water access on good sized reservoirs like Philpott Lake, Kerr Scott Reservoir etc.

And when you head to Saranac Lake you might be able to lean on some of our Upstate NY and other members for advice and help.

When we get past this virus thing we'd be happy to toss some critter parts in the smoker and have your crew over for a visit.

Best regards to all,

Lance

Welcome to the forum! You can't go wrong with the Adirondacks so I hope you get to come up our way and enjoy your time there. Lots of good paddling closer to home for you as well so don't overlook your "local" resources. Bottom line, any day (in any location) you get to spend paddling is a good one!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back