• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

2020 St.John River Trip

Thanks RPG51, These unprecedented times have derailed many people’s passions and dreams. Having this special trip with my father which I thought wouldn’t happen in the first place due to his back condition, actually was going to materialize, due to his improved condition. I am at odds but so are so many others that may be missing out on incredible memories. Personally I feel for each and every one that has felt the impact from this unfortunate situation. To all, stay safe, be smart and soon we will all once again enjoy our sport and realize our passions once again.

Heartbreaking especially as we get older we realize our years are numbered.. Any possibility of an alternate trip later in the summer on the Allagash or West Branch?

I wonder what is going on in Yellowknife and Whitehorse this summer. Probably zero trips for anyone.

I wonder what is going on in Yellowknife and Whitehorse this summer. Probably zero trips for anyone.

Kathleen and I made a deposit on a flight for a canoe trip out of Yellowknife last January. We intended to fly on July 4. The NWT borders are now closed. There is talk of re-opening them on July 1. This does not look good.

Heartbreaking especially as we get older we realize our years are numbered.. Any possibility of an alternate trip later in the summer on the Allagash or West Branch?

Well we did the Allagash last year and the West Branch the previous year. My father pounded down the St.John multiple times years ago and he wanted to experience it once more. It would have been my first St.John River trip and having the opportunity to do that with him before he gets much older would have been incredible.

I am curious about Maine tripping opportunities that don’t require shuttles at this point. What exactly is the Maine State mandate. Are Public Reserved Lands still accessible?

I am curious about Maine tripping opportunities that don’t require shuttles at this point. What exactly is the Maine State mandate. Are Public Reserved Lands still accessible?

I enjoy what I call the Lobster trip. If you bring two vehicles in you can leave one at the take out on Chesuncook Lake, drive to the put in on Lobster Stream. Paddle into Lobster Lake for night one. Paddle out to the West Branch for night two, paddle down into Chessuncook for night three. Paddle out day four. Its a very short shuttle you can do yourself. Obviously you could spend more time, but that schedule works. Be careful to avoid the fisherman, motors are allowed on Lobster (sadly) and that lake can get busy in the height of fishing season. Otherwise it is generally quiet.

Plan an extra day in the schedule because Chesuncook is shallow, and you can get wind bound on that lake very easily.

Who did you hire for the flight? What trip are you planning?

It’s a Barren Grounds trip, our favourite landscape. In 1993, we paddled the Thelon River, beginning in the southeast corner of Lynx Lake, at the outlet. Then east down the Thelon to Baker Lake at the head of Chesterfield Inlet on Hudson Bay. In 2001, We flew back to the Lynx Lake outlet, but then travelled west, rather than east. Up Lynx Lake, then up a short river to Whitefish Lake. Then up Whitefish Lake to its northwest corner. Then a portage over the height of land to Sandy Lake, then down Sandy Lake to the Snowdrift River. Then down the Snowdrift, stopping short of Great Slave Lake, as the last 50 km are purported to be a must portage.

We were planning a much more leisurely trip this summer. Fly to the northwest corner of Whitefish Lake, and then paddle back to be picked up at the southeast corner of Lynx Lake. Fourteen days to cover about 138 km (85 miles). Just poke along. Short days. Resurrect old memories.

We have booked with Ahmic Air, which we used in 2017 to fly to the East Arm of Great Slave Lake. Wonderful service. Do you know Stephen of Ahmic Air? Great guy.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great trip. I have paddled the Thelon - via the Clarke. Take out at Beverly Lake. Also, the Horton. And the Wind in YK. Don't know that air service. I hope you can pull it off.

Sounds like a great trip. I have paddled the Thelon - via the Clarke. Take out at Beverly Lake. Also, the Horton. And the Wind in YK. Don't know that air service. I hope you can pull it off.

The late guide Alex Hall used to lead trips on the Thelon, via the Clarke. Did you go with him? Kathleen and I paddled the Anderson River, just west of the Horton. Great country.

I enjoy what I call the Lobster trip. If you bring two vehicles in you can leave one at the take out on Chesuncook Lake, drive to the put in on Lobster Stream. Paddle into Lobster Lake for night one. Paddle out to the West Branch for night two, paddle down into Chessuncook for night three. Paddle out day four. Its a very short shuttle you can do yourself. Obviously you could spend more time, but that schedule works. Be careful to avoid the fisherman, motors are allowed on Lobster (sadly) and that lake can get busy in the height of fishing season. Otherwise it is generally quiet.

Plan an extra day in the schedule because Chesuncook is shallow, and you can get wind bound on that lake very easily.

Funny you mention this trip.

Canoe Tripping the Upper West Branch Penobscot & Chesuncook Lake, Maine Solo Trip (September 2019)
https://youtu.be/3TiB8CzUD-g This was my trip last year with the exception I did not go into Lobster Lake.

My general question was are Public Reserved Lands accessible and authorized for use at this time in Maine. I just haven’t had time to dig into the issue, but I need to get out on a trip soon or I am going to crack.

I guess the St John will have to wait another year for us, too. Maybe a Moose River Bow trip to take the shuttle out of the equation.

The late guide Alex Hall used to lead trips on the Thelon, via the Clarke. Did you go with him? Kathleen and I paddled the Anderson River, just west of the Horton. Great country.

I wasn't aware Alex died. That is sad news. I never met him, but he had quite the reputation - wildlife biologist maybe? He used to pull pups out of wolf dens and play with them. YIkes!

No, we have never used a guide on a trip. We do the best we can all by our lonesome. So far no casualties! Like you I do love the barren lands. But, consider one of the trips in the Werneke Mountains (Yukon) someday if you haven't been able to get over there. Gorgeous.

Last edited:
I guess the St John will have to wait another year for us, too. Maybe a Moose River Bow trip to take the shuttle out of the equation.

Received a voicemail from Norm L'Italien just the other day. His message was relaying Mills extension of the quarantine to June 1st. The Allagash, Penobscot River Corridor and St. John are closed until at least June 1 (at least for overnight camping). He was kind enough to shoot me a voicemail letting me know that the St. John trip will will not be possible for our target date. I hope to give him some of my business later on in the season as I am sure this has impacted his establishment greatly as well as the many other outfitters that make our lives much easier getting on and off rivers in Northern Maine.

Please say hi to Norm. Tell him Rob Gerety will be back for another shuttle sometime in the near future. Norm is a great guy.

Please say hi to Norm. Tell him Rob Gerety will be back for another shuttle sometime in the near future. Norm is a great guy.

Norm is one of the good ones for sure. Hard worker and indeed a great guy! I will be talking with Norm again on Wednesday. I will be sure to let him know you said hello.

Last edited:
We've spent a lot of great time in Maine. Family vacations, canoe tripping and deer hunting. I've often thought I'd be happy living there, and this year I wish I did!

Don't forget to get your permit online.. The checkpoints will not be staffed.

My Dad "Pistol Pete Cloutier" and I will be tackling the mighty St. John on May 18th. Probably head up sooner to spend some time at Norms place. Very excited.

Yellow Canoe, online permits obtained at NorthMaineWoods?

Back