• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Old Town Red Cross Canoe?

Reaction score
As my canoe build project is wrapping up I am thinking about future projects. I picked up a 46’ Old Town 50 Pounder to restore earlier this year and the nice folks at WCHA provides me the shipping/build info. It was built for the Red Cross outside of Boston. It was painted green with a red cross in a white circle on the bow sides. Anyone familiar with anything like this out of the factory? I believe the Red Cross used to run canoe training courses way back when. Wonder if it was part of that...? I’m not sure I will paint it original- don’t want anyone thinking I am coming to rescue them! Interesting non the less. It also says no seats... my knees hurt just thinking about it. Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.
Bob

12372DB8-48A8-4DE6-B2A2-46E91129F804.jpeg

I got curious. The address where it was delivered, Bennett Road, Wayland, is 3 miles from the house I grew up in. I've driven by that street countless times. Small world. It's a residential street and it looks like a one-off purchase for a woman who was affiliated with the Red Cross local chapter and not a purchase for any kind of organized instructional activity.

I thought I did too. Really hard to say what’s intended purpose was. I find it odd it was ordered without a seat.

Back