• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Easy Wool Blanket Poncho

Reaction score
A couple of fellas on another thread asked me to explain/show how I make a poncho out of my old wool blanket that I always take with me on outings. The blanket has been with me for decades -- I'm glad it can't talk! I'm new at these video/upload/link thingies so if it doesn't work let me know and we'll cut another trail. Doc

Great idea. I like it! I tried it with the blanket we have, but the blanket is to small for my size....

Last edited:
Sorry Doc, I checked the onedrive folder and it was empty.
I'm gonna go shopping for some more wool blankets soon, just to be ready.

Good video Doc. I have the same blanket complete with ragged, chewed up edges. I used to wear it the same way. Now it gets used as a sheet over a set of air mattresses for me and the dog. I didn't have to sign up, there are two links, click Microsoft Services to go to Doc's video.

Barry

Thanks Waterdog, I was clicking on the wrong link.
Excellent Doc. I really like that idea. Thanks for that.

I was clicking the wrong link too, Thanks for the heads up Waterdog. I like that idea fast and easy plus many more uses for the blanket on the trail. (pillow, night blanket, seat cushion, etc)

Maybe it's because I'm on a school computer but I've been locked out. Thanks for posting it though. Sounds like an interesting concept; almost like a match coat that I've seen when out on some of the re-enactments I attend.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I made a blanket capote which is much better in the wind. I found an old fur collar in an antique store to go on it. I made it double breasted and it stays closed with a wide belt. Very warm, especially in snow.

A few years ago my BSA wilderness guide training instructor team decided to make a float for the Saranac Lake NY Winter Carnival parade. We made about a dozen wool blanket capotes from a pattern found online. The temperature that day happened to not get above -15F, so the wool was very welcome. (we came in first in our parade class)
NcewJ5H.jpg

6GjrBb9.jpg

Edtwrlu.jpg

Back