• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Secrets to cam strap storage?

G

I’m a rope guy, and really don’t use cam straps. Or I do, just never for securing boats on roof racks; I use a cam strap when weighing canoes from the hanging scale.

PC170120 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

A single cam strap works in that guise with some minor find-the-center adjustment. Two straps / \ would be easier, but a single strap gives me the exact balance point of the hull. It takes 60 seconds to strap it tight, kick the sawhorses out and weigh the boat.

And 3 minutes to patiently recoil the webbing around the cam and wrap a rubber band around it for a neat, untangled package back in the cabinet.

Anal, I know; I can’t stand a messy wad of webbing, or rope, even “temporarily” (days later, still like that). But rope much is faster and easier to coil and secure.

I had four cam straps going at once on the attachment weight test platform, the equivalent of two boats strapped to a roof rack. More dang cam straps than I have ever used at once.

P4090004 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Any cam strap users discovered an easier way to coil (?) or otherwise neatly compact them? What do you do with cam straps after you take them off at a put in, just wad them up, throw them in the car and hope for the best when you next need them?

Gotta be a faster neater way to do it.

I fold them in halves, then continue folding them, keeping them tidy, until they're about 1.5 feet in length, and then tie them in an overhand. Compact and tidy.

Watched an employee at St. Regis Canoe Outfitters deal with this issue. I don't think I could duplicate it, but she folded it, rolled it (backwards I think) and then fed the end of the strap back through the buckle the wrong way and had a tidy, secure coil ready for redeployment.

I used to use cam straps (until I was taught a few simple knots). I rolled my straps, put a thick elastic around and tossed them in my box of rope/straps & gizmos, only issue is that given enough time the elastics would disintegrate and eventually I just had a mess of straps at the bottom of the box. Since I don't have much use for straps I don't really care anymore what sort of tangled mess they get in.

just wad them up, throw them in the car and hope for the best when you next need them?

Exactly. Never been a problem or much of a mess. Usually no time spent untangling. They don't wad/knot up as much as rope.

Alan

I learned to use straps on rafts. They are used for everything including securing frames to boats, securing loads, coolers, dry boxes. They make a good dog leash and a good belt.
The secret is to get your straps in different colors according to length. Or different patterns. Now I have some in tie dye, dog paws, and horse shoes.
I keep em in a bucket.
I don't really trust people that coil up all their straps and secure them with a rubber band. Too OCD for me.
I went on a canoe trip with a guy my friend brought. He was great in the outdoors, nice guy. But we had sit around every morning waiting for him to unpack all of his equipment, organize it and repack it.

Just slide the rubber protectors back off the buckles enough to slide the strap through then it works.

Kayak_Ken (in a canoe)

Yeah but it doesn't work if you have the rubber protectors on the buckles. :(
[/QUOTE]

I've never rolled up a cam strap. For almost 40 years I've kept much of my canoe gear in a pack basket in the back of my van. The straps get tossed in there when not in use. Other straps are tossed in one of my rarely used canoe hulls in the garage along with various foam cartopping blocks. Straps don't tangle much.

How about a trick to simple securing the extra strap after racking a canoe?

Turtle, I fold it back and forth at about a four inch length and then tuck that under one side of the strap and Canoe. I’ve never had one come out and start flapping around.
Jim

Memory. Extension cords have it. Most ropes have it. Even Christmas string lights have it. But straps are forgetful. Be thankful for that. Because that means we don't have to be so obsessive about carefully coiling up our straps after every use. I over-under coil my extension cords to keep them manageable. Rope is long coiled and fastened to keep it loose and usable. Christmas string lights I stuff back into their boxes like I would a throw bag. Don't ask to see my throw bag. My straps I usually keep folded and coiled but am not much bothered about it. I fact I know they're loose in a cloth bag right now because last time I looked they were lounging around like a den of Manitoban garter snakes just hangin' out minding their own business. I'm not gonna worry about it. They'll come untangled with a grab and a shake, and we'll both forget all about it. My NRS straps are named after Narcisse Man.
The extra length after a canoe tie down I half hitch a few times to use up some running end length and tightly fit any extra (if any) under the working end.

Last edited:
Seven or eight of them live under the back seat of my truck, tangled up like snakes mating. I don't know how I lived before I started using them.

Given the current stay at home order in Maryland, I think we all know where this thread will inevitably end up: A Mike McCrea 10-part series on whether it is more efficient to store cam straps coiled or un-coiled, both with and without rubber bumpers, all scientifically tested and photographically documented. ;)

The NRS 1" straps are color coded by length as are some of the tie down straps from cargo control websites. The 1-1/2" and the now discontinued 2" NRS straps have the strap length pattern sewn right into the strap material. I can't speak to the straps with the rubber bumpers but the straps with the padded flap for the buckle roll up like the two videos show.

As a climbing instructor I often see the results of improperly uncoiling and conditioning a new rope leading to a future with a lot more kinks and tangles than necessary. Remember that rope (or an extension cord for that matter) came off of a huge spool and was wound into the flattened coil you see when you buy it. And new rope is denser and stiffer than it will be when used and stretched a few times.

If you just drop the new coil and pull the rope out of the coil you put a full twist in the rope for every loop in the coil. Unroll the rope as in the video below and you start out without all those twists. How many? Well, with my 6' plus wingspan I need 15 full arm spans to coil 100' of rope. New rope is coiled closer to 3-1/2 or 4' per coil so a 100 foot rope improperly uncoiled will have around 25 twists in it. Once the rope has been used a few times and stretched some it will not be anywhere nearly as prone to twisting or tangling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkfeqoati_Q

And I generally use a "butterfly coil" to further reduce the chance of tangles. Here's an example where Richard Delaney of Rope Lab (a professional rope access and rescue training outfit) is coiling to have a doubled rope that can be uncoiled from either the ends or the center. You see the key parts which are alternating the direction the coils are laid down into his hand to reduce the chances of tangles when it is uncoiled and in leaving the rope ends long enough that they can't get into the coils before and during uncoiling and mess things up. If the rope has been handled a lot since coiling it just make sure the free end is not through any loops and carry on using it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmT4GMQXeYY

And here's a quick way to make short tangle resistant coils, especially if you are in a hurry....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcHoXpHi5yU&list=PLqAWcG4wIk6NaN1cOLKXd-a37HHRLAuyk&index=16&t=0s

Best regards to all,

Lance

Given the current stay at home order in Maryland, I think we all know where this thread will inevitably end up: A Mike McCrea 10-part series on whether it is more efficient to store cam straps coiled or un-coiled, both with and without rubber bumpers, all scientifically tested and photographically documented. ;)

Yeah, I think Al just nailed it, a McCrea testing lab dedicated to experimental bondage.
50 shades of McCrea. Belts Doohickies Straps and Moorings.

Last edited:

If I was a more frequent user of cam straps I’d be tempted, but video would be more helpful than photos. (ALSG and Ken, thanks for the videos; I’ll try that method next time I need to wrap up a cam strap. It does eliminate the rubber band issues).

For a guy who doesn’t use cam straps I have a crap load of them. A pair of cam straps came with every roof rack set up we have bought for the last 30 years and others accumulated as freebies. In the boat weighing photo there are four cam straps on the horses, and another four cam straps in the background holding the supports of some wall suspended boats.

There are four in the tripping truck, neatly rolled in a big stuff bag along with spare ropes, a PFD and a throw bag. There are another half dozen in a shop cabinet drawer, also neatly rolled. Tightly rolled a 15’ cam strap forms an oval 5 ½” x 3 ½”. A half dozen of those wadded up unrolled would need much bigger drawer, and would look like the first 15 seconds of the Ken’s NRS tangled video.

Even if they didn’t tangle they would take up too much room if left in a wad. I guess if I used them more frequently I might pull a Glenn and loosely fill a pack basket with them.

How about a trick to simple securing the extra strap after racking a canoe?

My wife still prefers cam straps when she racks a canoe on her car, and has her own set, cut down to less-excess-webbing size for her usual boat. Still a couple feet of extra webbing, which gets wrapped a few times around the end of the crossbar, with the bitter end tied off and tightened under the wrap.

Excess webbing length trimmed just like with belly line ropes, and just like with rope I don’t want so much excess that it could jostle free and end up under a tire. I’ve seen the aftermath of tires rolling over rope four times, and the result was not good, in four different ways; broke a windshield, shattered a composite hull & gunwales, ripped off a roof rack, tore a gouge in a van roof.

The Thule cam straps we have are (were) 15 feet long, way longer than needed when tightened over a single canoe. At least with NRS straps you can select an appropriate length.

https://www.nrs.com/product/1440/nrs-1-hd-tie-down-straps

I don't really trust people that coil up all their straps and secure them with a rubber band. Too OCD for me.
I went on a canoe trip with a guy my friend brought. He was great in the outdoors, nice guy. But we had sit around every morning waiting for him to unpack all of his equipment, organize it and repack it.

PPine, I can see how, on a raft, with dozens of straps, even belt sized 3 footers - I expect you didn’t use a 15 footer as a belt, with the excess stuffed Happy to see you in your pants - carefully coiling each strap would be nonsense.

I am admittedly anal about organization. Not quite OCD, but my shop is kept organized, with tools and materials put away after projects, or sometimes in the midst of projects when the benches gets too cluttered. When I have friends working in the shop I mostly scamper about behind them, putting no longer needed tools and materials back where they belong, and setting out the next things needed. Helps get the work done.

Same with the tripping truck, where a lot of stuff beyond the spare PFD, throwbag, rope and straps lives year round. There is a 12V float bag pump, jack platform, towing cable and chain, fire extinguisher, tire repair kit, jumper cables, flares, cable & padlock, axe, shovel, etc, etc, etc. The truck would be gawd awful cluttered if I just tossed things in willy-nilly; last thing I need is a tangle of straps.

My campsites are organized. Often, especially when I am away from camp, the only things visible are the tent and tarp. But after 45 years of tripping I have a system, and I can be quick about it.

The flip side of your OCD friend is a companion I once tripped with through the years. Nothing got put away, much less put away where it belonged. Sites looked like a tornado had blown through, it took him hours to pack up and, worst of all, he could never find what he was looking for, making an even bigger mess tossing things around in search of some missing item.

Car camping with him was a comical nightmare; envision a picnic table absolutely mounded with stuff, tabletop and benches too. If there were two picnic tables he would occlude both. Still couldn’t find anything.

To each their own; for my most frequent use, grabbing a single strap to weigh a hull, I’ll fold them a time or two, roll them tight and put them away.

50 shades of McCrea.

50 Shades of cam straps. Or at least four, we have blue, red, black and green. Colorblind those variations do me little good, and I oughta Sharpie the strap lengths on the buckles.

Brad, something you said did give me a cam strap storage idea. I promise to keep it under 50 words and a couple or three photos ;-)

I bought six NRS straps. They came in a 6"x10" ish ditty bag. They live in that bag and never tangle

Back