• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Souris River Quetico 17 in Kevlar

Reaction score
I had not updated my repair to the tandem - http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/...o-17-in-kevlar -

So I figured I better share the start of this with just a few patches of Kevlar to make it water tight again. This works perfect with a load or even empty for some sightseeing. These pics were from mid October just checking out access to a few canoe areas north of Redditt Ontario.

I still need to source some more fabric like this for a second and top layer... They just won't ship direct to Canada. :(

https://www.amazon.com/KEVLAR-FABRIC...=kevlar+fabric

After checking rapids East of the road we used the culvert to cross the main access road. This turned into some fun as we got stuck on a submerged rock in the narrow channel leading into the culvert and had to turn sideways to the current to wash ourselves of the rock. Pressure test on the patches, and they held!

d2cUm9I.jpg

Top of falls just west of the road, one of the hunters in the area had mentioned these so we needed to have a look.

VK8YfXE.jpg

Falls from top and a view from the 1st set with me in it.

hOjVY7T.jpg

2S2NaQ8.jpg

Tandem with patch showing, just add a stong light to show off the patch. Not as noticeable in a regular light.

Noelmmf.jpg

Scenic one of the tandem mounted on the truck on the way home.

GoYeQBX.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the links! The web site is not as user friendly as I would hope for but will try sort out which is which for a Kevlar/cf blend. I am just happy with a few trips into the wilds with this Tandem. Cheers

Ya but 'Usual Yellowish' is better then dragging some royalex brick around the backcountry. I like my UY Canoe, I have a couple of canoes I like better but it's a good club to have in the bag, (Golf metaphor for having way too many canoes, yet leaving room for more).

Hey, I love the green Souris. Mine is the usual yellowish color.

Thanks, you have a nice canoe for the back country travels! I really like the Le Tigre finish on mine too!

Ya but 'Usual Yellowish' is better then dragging some royalex brick around the backcountry. I like my UY Canoe, I have a couple of canoes I like better but it's a good club to have in the bag, (Golf metaphor for having way too many canoes, yet leaving room for more).

No one on this thread was taking about royalex canoes...? The only one lighter than the one pictured is the carbon-tec at 2 lbs lighter.

Unfortunately, I think Icedragonmx has passed on to the other side. Heard in another forum that he died a few months ago.

How do you enjoy paddling this boat solo? I am considering buying one

I like mine. I use it as my big tripping canoe. It's very stable, tracks well and fun to paddle. I've loaned it out a couple times and both paddlers liked it.

How do you enjoy paddling this boat solo? I am considering buying one

I rented one for a week to try it out a couple of years ago and it would not be my first choice to paddle solo, especially if empty and fishing. Wasn't too impressed with the workmanship either as I cut my hand on raw sharp kevlar up by the bow, it was a outfitter model so I suppose they just try and get those out.

I rented one for a week to try it out a couple of years ago and it would not be my first choice to paddle solo, especially if empty and fishing. Wasn't too impressed with the workmanship either as I cut my hand on raw sharp kevlar up by the bow, it was a outfitter model so I suppose they just try and get those out.

maybe that one had been damaged by a renter. The one i rented had some repair work done and it was only a year old. An empty 17' canoe can be a hassle solo when the wind blows, but that is what a water filled dry bag can help with. I really enjoy paddling my 17' novacraft explorer, but it is too heavy so it doesn't come out of the barn much anymore

I missed the part about solo. I think my 16' Prospector is too big for a solo. This SR is a beast and not a solo tripper. Unless you are the barge for a group that's in kayaks. I would not solo in this canoe even in the best of shape.

I missed the part about solo. I think my 16' Prospector is too big for a solo. This SR is a beast and not a solo tripper. Unless you are the barge for a group that's in kayaks. I would not solo in this canoe even in the best of shape.

Thats what I was wondering. I liked how the 16 paddled so maybe i will just get that one instead.

Even my 16' Prospector is too big, I'm looking at a 14' 'something', but not a center seat.

maybe that one had been damaged by a renter. The one i rented had some repair work done and it was only a year old. An empty 17' canoe can be a hassle solo when the wind blows, but that is what a water filled dry bag can help with. I really enjoy paddling my 17' novacraft explorer, but it is too heavy so it doesn't come out of the barn much anymore

No damage, it was new and on its maiden voyage. Just not finished well.

Even my 16' Prospector is too big, I'm looking at a 14' 'something', but not a center seat.

i want to be able to accommodate the wife and her stuff as well as mine, but still be able to use it solo. I am not enjoying my actual solo boat (swift shearwater 16'). it feel like I am plowing water, not floating on top of it and i cant keep it tracking straight while taking a full stroke. i have to plant the blade next to my knee in order to keep it on course for a few strokes. With the double boats I can plant ahead and complete the stroke with my torso in a free fashion and maintain course. Plus my gear takes up room, haven't gotten it paired down far enough yet and i always bring a cot for my back issues.
I expected the shearwater to be faster and easier to paddle from the reviews of people, but it seems not to work well for me. I had to work very hard to try and keep up with a 10' rec kayak last spring, that shouldn't be that way with a 16' boat

Back