• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Action Camera review EKEN H3R

Reaction score
I came across this inexpensive action camera made by the Chinese firm EKEN. It's available online and is way cheaper than some of the main contenders (GoPro, Sony etc.). Canada Computers also stocks EKEN action cameras, but different versions than the one I have. For an inexpensive camera it shoots great video, sharp photos and is capable of producing stunning time-lapse sequences...and it comes standard with all kinds of useful accessories. I've put together a video review if anyone is interested in taking a look:
-Wayne

I watched this early this morning...very good job explaining the functions of the EKEN, plus some of the shots of a recent canoe trip with an EKEN are worth watching this video.

Just when I'm riding high about buying a great little w/c canoe yesterday for cheap, my bubble gets burst when I realized how much I spent on a GoPro vs. what an EKEN costs...:(

Robin, it is from China. What are the odds you will send it back there if repairs are needed or do they expect you will toss it in the landfill and buy another one? Is there a facility in the USA for repairs? You definitely are not the type who is into disposables at all, you restore canoes after all. Regardless of the price difference, I would still go for a GoPro if I were looking to get an action type camera.

As an example...

We make a chamber which was initially designed to be made in China and shipped directly to the client. It would arrive, they would plug it in and they would blow up. So now, they are made in China, shipped to Canada where we do the refrigeration and controls and test, then ship to the client. No issues further. They are our best selling units.

Well, at $80 I would consider it for my soft and hard water season adventures... At $400+ for most of the GoPro choices, it just is not going to be a viable choice for me. And truly you get what you pay for both pluses and minus of operation, warranty, durability, etc. Value vs quality and price. Definitly a tradeoff.

Gopro's are made in China too. True, if they do repairs at all they would probably happen in the US, but I have tried to get a variety of small digital cameras repaired in the US over the last ten years and the manufacturers Panasonic, Sony, Olympus won't even look at them. They just want to sell you a so-called "refurbished" one, whatever that means.

You always give so much useful information about photography, I am very grateful to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back