• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Weaponized, I prevail in my first bear encounter (pix fixed)

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen campsite bears in the Adirondacks, but I've never seen any on God's Little (11) Acres -- my property.

So, I had put a bottle of Roundup under my bald cypress tree near a patch of poison ivy that I had sat in last month -- another testament to my crackerjack wilderness skills. I must've thought it was a bed of Irish shamrocks, or the clover to be rollin' in.

I was processing a ton or so of wood over by my dawn redwood before doing the poison ivy spray, and see a strange, big creature sniffing around the Roundup bottle.

A BEAR!!! About 20 yards or meters away from me.

I didn't have my 12 gauge Ithaca, for which I've never even bought any shells. I didn't have my bear spray, which is in my magic bus. I don't own bang sticks. I didn't have any bells or pots and pans to bang on. And this former NYC borough champion in the 100 yard dash is now so old, so out of shape, and so bone-hurting, that he can't run ten steps.

Was this going to be a fair fight? Or curtains?

Well . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . I was sitting on this:

Weaponized_Tractor_50.jpg

35 horses. A custom W.R. Long Ultra Jaws bucket loader, which opens 45" and can lift a one ton tree with bone crunching clamping force. A six foot wide brush hog that can blast 4" diameter trees into splinters in seconds. And I had my usual usual wood processing arsenal of two parang machetes, two Silky saws, and a fixed blade knife.

Let's look closer at my edged tools (cum weapons), because eventually I'm going to be doing write-ups on all of them, and others, as canoe camping tools.

On the custom Michelin radial R1W tire are three of my wood processing tools and, today, bear weapons:

gK_FB8bLD3Pz75BeRVooNa0oS9kic-0OdQgIkcBy3e7mC1_7NlonEKiRx4vYgj6B5Vhv1-FzItcDipsJDKt-e64-XpDS7FyadLHliAqWR0S8ynRpZbCL_sK1ssRPpefDRYwRFGRvOhcVAIHTIfaHBVGG5vSKvO8fK1cyosUIOdWsbDcfSTxNYRaRhzkkx6bHzv97Eu8sBWvprkw4mVcpLEz96cY2HxfXGivqvcNYbGiAT99-57d6RaHP7qqDThyI8WJqqksVHzhYybBTZOcLvOMLqgjr1QCqO3ov5VjSKjviEKPiCn_ahNlKU1cW3-12mzXeGiYL1GSWf4tvv8ptXdSfhMAJcM7QpDztysvK6S8DnICuR3YcvnAgR7oqCqjBWU29o1xU2OKpPbk-AjksxQPullNZxFnrRsuIuoVJ1EGUVdN-2awWcBlg49SxaGweCFSx-QHLKRb101SvJ4mwbUMgssnFuAtv_28gxSEseYli-Lqy8Chx-n2cy7yQC_zpqXHxxuDl6V-0galfH9uPtVv5XR34Tl0E_KjQ_9qzgoB4fLUdOopdtH4kZHlOXWZH_Jg_Zyjqjo0DWX6haaS9xgM6C6rVyq7F4rvXEMl4Tw=w1320-h744-no

-- Condor Duku parang machete with 15.5" blade, which is like a Japanese sword. Very good tree, branch and heavy brush cutter. More brute chopping force than the the Mini Duku because of the heavier weight and bigger, high velocity swing arc you can develop.

-- Condor Mini Duku parang with 10.5" blade. Very effective and safe for splitting campfire wood via batoning or tap splitting. Better than the longer Duku for close-in work in trees, brush and cane when you only have limited swing room. Both parangs are superior to an axe for limbing trees rapidly and safely. Coupled with a curved Silky folding saw, the Mini Duku is the chopping blade knife I'd take on canoe camping trips in lieu of a hatchet or small forest axe. Hatchets are less useful to me than a wood chopping machete, and I don't use felling axes for any purpose, either for my heavy wood processing property maintenance chores or my light wood processing chores on canoe trips.

-- The new curved blade Silky BIGBOY 2000 with the yellow handle. Curved blades cut better than their straight blade equivalents per Silky's own literature and numerous YouTube tests. The curved BIGBOY 2000 has a 14.2" blade and is the second most effective folding saw cutter in the world, per the Magic Bus Canoe ratings, and significantly outperforms my two 30" bow saws. I use the curved BIGBOY 2000 now instead of my chain saw, which, depressingly, has become too tiring for me to use for 10 minutes much less hours. Of course, I don't have to saw downed trees and branches too much when I can lift and carry most of them, unsawed or partially sawed, with my tractor's Ultra Jaws.

-- The new Silky ULTRA ACCEL curved blade, 240mm, with the partly red handle balanced on the fender light. This new curved saw outperforms Silky's older straight and curved models, and is the third most effective folding saw cutter in the world, according to many YouTube tests I've watched. With a 9.5" blade, the Silky curved ULTRA ACCEL is the saw I'll be taking on my future canoe camping trips, replacing the significantly inferior Bahco Laplander that I've used and liked for years. Paired with the Mini Duku parang and two different length Bark River fixed blade bushcraft/hunting knives, my canoe camping edged tool kit is now high end and complete.

-- My new Bark River Mini Aurora fixed blade and sheath hanging from the tractor's ROPS, which I was carrying as a neck knife today. 3.675" blade, 3.1 ounces. I've been completely won over to convex blade geometry since I began researching and buying knives four years ago.

Now . . . Back to THE BEAR.

I turned my tractor to face the ursine threat head-on. I opened the Ultra Jaws to maximum. I left the brush cutter running and lifted it and tilted it up as high as I could with my custom hydraulic valves. I revved the 35 horses. I pulled out the long Duku parang machete and brandished it with my right arm. I felt like John Wayne, in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, about to lead a cavalry charge against the enemy across Monument Valley.

I hit revved the engine noise hard . . . with crushing loader jaws agape . . . with pulverizing brush hog spinning death . . . with parang machete waving guillotine threats . . . and . . . unlike the Duke . . . I went slowly . . . backward . . . in reverse gear. John Ford won't be directing my charges.

After going about one foot, the bear looked up at me with indifference, knocked over my bottle of Roundup as if insulted, and disappeared into the heavy brush in the direction of my neighbor's yard.

I completed all my chores but was very wary the whole time. When poisoning the poison ivy, I placed the tractor between myself and the bear's brush path and had both machetes out. The mind changes, fears change, when you are old and alone, with no dogs and no family anymore. Just a spiritless and socially sundering cell phone, which I forgot to use to take pictures of the bear.

I'm thinking of buying some Brenneke slugs, breaking my shotgun's virginity and carrying it on my back acres, especially now that my dogs are all gone. Better safe than sorry. Some people say to put bird shot as the first load in the magazine for bear deterrence, followed by slugs if the shot doesn't scare it off. But I don't think a bear prowling around my town should just be scared off. When bears begin wandering into suburban neighborhoods, it's likely there's not enough wilderness space for them to forage and feed. They then become very dangerous pests. I'm of the opinion they should be put down, not wounded.

But, of course, I'm no John Wayne with a gun either.

I hope that beast at least gets poison ivy.

Last edited:
Ha ha, good story! Can't see the pics, but had a chuckle anyway. Don't do the birdshot thing, that's just savagery, wounding the poor bugger. Keep it loaded with slugs, you can always fire the first one into a tree for scare factor. We had a big bear in the back yard last week, I just asked him to go, and he left.

No pix visible here either... it can be kind of unnerving to suddenly find a bear sleeping in the tall grass under an apple tree... they probably eat so much they can't move and fall asleep on the spot. Always run away since they're not hungry and not looking for food.

The first time I visited Brent at the north end of Algonquin about 1970, there were bears running around in broad daylight like they owned the place. This was at the height of the summer camping season and nobody gave them much attention. Probably a different story at the Hwy 60 campgrounds... the horror... the horror...

Oh man, I haven't laughed like that in ages, thanks Glenn. I'm also grateful it all turned out okay in the end.
My wife insisted I purchase some bear defence this year, so I bought bangers. They came in a complete package, 1 launcher, 2 noise and 4 flare charges. I was almost disappointed we didn't get to use them last trip. Almost. I've seen bears, so that wildlife wish has been answered. In a restaurant an eager local suggested we drop by the dump for a good viewing of a sow and her cubs. "She's beautiful, and really healthy! Black glistening coat! And her cubs are healthy and cute too!!" Um, no. That just makes me sad. I'd much rather see those healthy creatures in their natural setting. But somewhere I am not.

Wish I could have seen the photos that accompanied your great story. Glad to see that you lived for another day! My last bear encounter happened as I was walking our dog; who was a black lab/Irish Setter mix. Anyway, the bear sat down and looked at the dog while the dog sat next to me looking at the bear. After a bit I became "concerned" so I yelled at the bear. Luckily for me, it ran off into the woods. To this day I still wonder if the bear and dog weren't looking at each other, thinking...are we related?

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Can you see the two pictures now? I tried to get them in a public album on Google Photos.

The photos now appears, but I think Glenn is baiting the bear. Not the Ursus americanus, but the Redneckus americanus in me.

QUOTE=Glenn MacGrady;n71818] I didn't have my 12 gauge Ithaca, for which I've never even bought any shells. [/QUOTE]

Even discounting the cost of the tractor and attachments (of which I will be eternally envious), the rest of Glenn’s on-tractor collection of bear menacing saws and knives

Condor Duku parang machete with 15.5" blade
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CN...n-steel-blade-hardwood-handles-leather-sheath

Condor Mini Duku parang with 10.5" blade
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CN...n-steel-blade-hardwood-handles-leather-sheath

Silky BIGBOY 2000 with the yellow handle
https://www.amazon.com/Professional-BIGBOY-Folding-Landscaping-356-36/dp/B0014CA3JQ

Silky ULTRA ACCEL curved blade, 240mm
https://www.amazon.com/Silky-Ultra-Folding-Natural-446-24/dp/B00B19MA84

Bark River Mini Aurora fixed blade – Ca-freaking- ching
http://www.dlttrading.com/bark-river-mini-aurora-3v

Math is not my strong suit, and I’m certain Glenn did his research and found best pricing, but that is close to $500 worth of bladed tools on the bear mobile.

QUOTE=Glenn MacGrady;n71818] I'm thinking of buying some Brenneke slug, [/QUOTE]

$20, even if you sping for Two Testicle Testicle Tactical to drop Zombie Al-Qaeda ursine terrorists marauding across the Nutmeg State.

https://www.twotesticlestactical.co...MIiYyGvr3I1gIVg0peCh1iSgOUEAYYASABEgJMlvD_BwE

Glenn, I know it is not the $20. What is your hesitation on buying a box of 12G shells?

Yup they are there now, I read your post at 5 something this morning but was going out to sit behind an archery blind and didn't have time to write anything, great story, I was trying to silently chuckle without waking the kids ! I hope he don't try to make your garbage a regular smorgasbord!

Jason

Great story! But the obvious question is.......what folding saw is the best? :D

The most effective cutter without a doubt is the Silky KatanaBoy, but whether it's the "best" depends on one's applications and needs. With a 19.8" blade, it might be too long for some canoe trippers, and I don't need that length for my property maintenance.

The 14.2" blade Silky BIGBOY 2000 can go through 6"-8" logs quite easily and can handle bigger ones with more time. The 9.5" curved blade ULTRA ACCEL will go through 3"-4" logs like butter and can also handle larger than that with patience. Anything 2" or smaller are usually severable with one well-placed slice of a good wood chopping machete, parang or golok.

Math is not my strong suit, and I’m certain Glenn did his research and found best pricing, but that is close to $500 worth of bladed tools on the bear mobile.

Glenn, I know it is not the $20. What is your hesitation on buying a box of 12G shells?

Because I know I won't use the shells until something strongly motivates me to do so, which now may be the case.

It's just like I knew three years ago that I'd never use an axe, just as I hadn't in my then prior 69 years, even though I've done thousands of hours of wood processing in my life. Nevertheless, this site MADE ME buy a nice axe for a good price three years ago, during the climax of my very lengthy research/information thread on axes, the most lasting virtue of which may have been to give us the word "lumbersexual". However, after various experiments, the axe now sits unused. It simply cannot perform any of the many wood processing tasks I do as effectively as saws and wood chopping machetes. (I don't fell trees with axes or build log cabins and, at home, don't cut/split logs for firewood.)

The Bark River Mini Aurora was by far the most expensive of the five tools I'm showing, and I suppose already reviewing, in this thread. The two Duku parangs, the two Silky saws, and some fixed blade knife go out with me every time I'm tractoring. I use them all, every time. For things I actually use all the time, I don't mind spending money when I have some.

I have two other machetes -- a Condor Golok, which doesn't have the edge profile to be effective as the Duku parangs, and a Tramontina grass machete -- and quite a few other fixed blade and folding knives. I have many other saws -- fixed blade pruning saws, extension saws, bow saws, other folding saws, a chain saw. From 25 years of personal experience, the Silky's are the most effective saws for my needs, other than a chain saw for really big stuff. Bow saws, for example, are useless when standing in a conifer trying to limb the closely spaced branches, or when sawing something wider than the vertical bow spacing, plus none of them have Silky's triple tapered blade geometry or curved cutting edge. I'd never use a fold-up bow saw for my serious property maintenance, and hence would never consider them for canoe camping either. Because I know a Silky can out-perform a regular bow saw, plus you can open it in two seconds.

The five tools I'm showing in this thread are my empirically self-tested choices, evolved Darwinianly, over 25 years of battling 11 acres with hundreds of trees, bushes, shrubs, vines, thorns, long grasses, reeds, cattails . . . and perennially losing.

After yesterday's bear frolics, I finally pulled the trigger on my most expensive edged tool yet, another fixed blade Bark River knife to replace my Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter (pictured below with two Moras), which I purchased a few years ago after a Godzilla fixed blade research thread.

DSCN2663.JPG

I've come to dislike the Scandi blade geometry, so I've relegated my Moras to kitchen use where they aren't all that good either and dull quickly.

Someone will ask, so the knife I've now chosen as the one hunting-bushcrafting-survival knife to carry, with a heavy emphasis on aesthetics and collectability, the Bark River Canadian Special LT, which is modeled after D.H. Russell's famous "Canadian belt knife", still sold in original form by the Grohman Knives, which is itself famous for its piercing architecture. These pictures are of the exact knife I bought, except it's being sent back to the factory for a full height convex grind and some rounding of the finger grooves.

mDdZVu9XggecvufXFKe9Uok2GCmRX8AzwP7mt8hngMHDIs4dsgb6ghMesYOFx19m6PAJrF3XsaOcSNmxeInc8owT48ph9XQCT01bIW9bVrXXvyY3J71T2BeqKndHDGRlhg9hd4jDn_3OFRCYTbelm5qa6ggrFRlqhC1JWZQJ8z8RLhOJx5fFnzbxS2ZKabQJj2cMfJxBb5JeDEPICwSiXqGB3CSaJHcxGSjO57XQUz0ggQL1T_0KM_CscLeWC7eIimHibcPRl8FCTkL4aTDh1ayw53QZCmQ58KjKxma-O9xf_k2vpu89JQmjisMKam5TvUlEh1uUh83rf2JmOOY5vmOSF2CKbX8FqfWr9hsh2Z7oKELI3S8uh86OD5p_rBQnhsvW9skGqL_Ih4MQJ4BeWmIoranD0d3ruDXQz3_YjIs7WT1cAU_dNt8RRKSV9w83x75kqHqQxIam3adV4Ro6ADpRc3wKkvpfYOLkYlaZ-ptDK0khzwkYgjw7ib7OvDi7ZqnkK9eIGHlz_9fUa1gjapcq2OzBehSlWbQGISoIv233gLDLEL0dVmN82AfrSaXqN3Mv9iGNCn8Mkqy2UMAk6u0HBYoZUvCov7s012RSUw=w1280-h915-no

fJC2Se_G1kQ6M2dXAdG_3fD4YO54azkedEAdq3FiMGic3zqtS5bGzCTNZvKa5Q6OgqZ3OsVet5MCD06hlR33xM2Okcaw6EaEM4WImhabdXdc8sCP-7ADpeDiQ4CvNbfyV26DQI4lVw3Eqrh1yI4u1krC3qsKRLkZeh8AeI7ibvgJyBj56NUjaLGHF2MsvKBfD4n_TauoAzx76UnxxnyvluBahgYy6iv4ofhLa2fCEzeDKTZrTlXW7or9hG8Ev0xcKWvWNLTvRD7EPy3TyWg7yZS68tkaFgr9bWTUJC8_0ujgW2irWgXnOneixNEFIC3DRyYT33jpKjFdeFNm8jkPn4vK6ohdQW7OV5ihqAF7Zg7ATvcqPxQ8MQc4cofDwDaiwx2ZI5dOIOl1iu4rgMzGrcXFfRnirnsiOqy2qxfQ7GDjtdmU1w5HCDRsZlOMNbruVoBQMnc7aswigxdYXaaiKqvj2DUjI2ncjWbGVDVvMB3FwOTYyz_Lc4_Cfw6YlUjzQ6LVmHwjOVMCsLShOH903YspQSTWol5A4l4IBfq3juBlKfG8u0umjaCMShOyg1NiZDZJaoKeFCbxZuMZ53omWlMcB98iPVqw-pYG6iOOiQ=w1280-h915-no

I got a Silky Big Boy 2000 this year to replace my bow saw ... all I can say is that it makes cutting up firewood almost pleasant ( as pleasant as that chore can be).

Until you actually use one, it is hard to understand how fast they tear through logs.

Brian

Holee man why are you guys all so afraid of bears? They are very much like you. Just yell at them and they will go away. Unless they are eating. Like I said, pretty much like men.
Glenn, get some bangers. Way more fun than having to deal with a dead bear, or calling the DNR and telling them you winged one. If you must, use slugs like Mem says. Remember though that the rifled shotguns of today are not like the smoothbores of yore. The old full choke smoothbore will toss a pumpkin ball rather haphazardly at anything past 20-30 yards. Much like an old time musket. Same idea. Plus you can hang bangers on your belt while a shotgun needs to be lugged around and if you have not done that for a living you will be surprised what a pain in the arse that is.
Enjoy your bear.

Christy

I don't think that Glenn is overly afraid. Just cautious.. Two people have been killed and eaten by black bears in recent years within a hundred miles of his place.
I think its a really funny story...

a shotgun needs to be lugged around and if you have not done that for a living you will be surprised what a pain in the arse that is.

Christy, when I lived briefly in an area where everyone wore a sidearm I found even that to be a PITA.

I expect to see Glenn’s Ithica slung from the tractor in a custom made scabbard. And maybe himself slung with a custom Silky Saw shoulder holster. Something like this:

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....9-5125E1DFB4B1

If that transpires I expect to learn more about shotgun scabbards and quick-draw saw holders than I thought possible.

Distant cousin Glenn?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...crWAhWCgVQKHea_DbYQMwgsKAUwBQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

Last edited:
Glenn, get some bangers.

That's good advice for bear encounters in the wilderness, but taking a communal view of things, bangers will just chase the bear onto the next family's property. Et seq. Etc. I have 11 acres but am an anomaly. Most houses around me are on one acre lots, and then the lot sizes decrease rapidly until the center of town two miles away. No bear belongs in this part of town. There's not enough open land or forest for food. The bear is lost and will become a nuisance. One was killed by a car a few years ago not far from my house.

Yes, retiree McCrea, I would definitely mount the shotgun on my tractor. That's the only way I can get around my property these days with my bum knee. Maybe in a sling or on a rack attached to the ROPS.

Deviously, the first word in my topic was meant as a euphemism for my wood processing tools. I used the bear story just to report it for its information and entertainment value, but what I really wanted to do was to discuss my experience with folding pruning saws and machetes. They make great canoe camping tools for anyone who likes processing wood, but aren't discussed nearly as much as axes and folding bow saws. I was skeptical about the Silky reputation until I actually bought them and tested them against my Bahco and bow saws. No contest.

Today I was sawing down some maple and hickory trees about 6" in diameter. Hard sonofagun wood! I was using the BIGBOY, but it was difficult getting any pressure on the blade because a was trying to saw horizontally right near the ground on a hill slope, which was killing my knee. If I knew how to use my phone, I might have called Amazon to drone drop a KatanaBoy.

Actually, I like being able to wield the saw, or the long parang, with one hand while I drive the tractor. Much of the work I was doing today was lopping off scores of low or drooping branches so my tractor can fit under and near the trees for mowing. Many of the branches are entwined with some sort of creeping vine and/or with thorn vines. I can just drive with one hand and cut with the other, using saw or machete depending on the thickness of the branches and vines. Sometimes I stand on the driving platform or, to get higher, on one of the rear tires. When the branches and vines come down, I just drive over them with my brush hog and chew them into small pieces.

Vines and thorn vines often have to be pulled manually out of the tree branches. I highly recommend gauntlet rose gloves for this task. These have been excellent and are washable, unlike leather, and I find I use them as my general outdoor glove. I'm still looking for a thinner and more flexible solution for fire and knife gloves than my bison leather gloves. Because of an incurable hand condition, I can't work barehanded.

The trees that I drop in full -- today about 25' long -- I just pick up with my tractor jaws and put on one of my brush piles, the primary one of which is now so a high and wall-like that it could make the border patrol jealous. I could easily heat my house all year with the the wood I cut down in one week, but that smacks of indoor work, which I don't do.

Don't ever put custom made Pennsylvania Dutch gazebos and 20' arched bridges under weak-wooded weeping willow trees. I just finished smashing up and carting off the last remains of mine, which were crushed when winds toppled some of the giant trees on them two years ago. Crushed my swing chair and Adirondack chairs too. All of it went onto MacWall. No one can stop entropy.

I'm using the BIGBOY 2000 a lot more than the ULTRA ACCEL 240, mostly for its extra reach and more aggressive teeth. At one pound and 15 inches long when folded, it's certainly more portagable than a heavy axe. Maybe I'd take it instead of the shorter Silky on a real wilderness trip where I was planning on lots of wood processing. I wouldn't use logs more than 6" in diameter. The Mini Duku can easily halve and quarter them, and then a sharp knife can baton kindling strips and featherstick tinder.

Ah, knives. Maybe I'll start a separate thread for a discussion of blade geometry.

Last edited:
I appreciate the saw reviews, Glenn. I have a willow "infestation" that I'm dealing with here too. Cut, slash, chip, burn. I whittle it down a little every year.

I’m certain Glenn did his research and found best pricing, but that is close to $500 worth of bladed tools on the bear mobile.

I got the two Condor Duku parangs for $98.98 from CH Kadels, which has a lot of weird and junky stuff and four different internet names, but some quality stuff too, often with good discounts and coupons. I like Condor. They make inexpensive but good quality carbon steel edged tools. Their bushcraft knife is well reviewed, if one doesn't care about aesthetics.

I paid the Amazon price for my two Silky saws, whatever it was at the time.

Bark River knives, which are semi-custom and available in about 80 different handle scale choices, are retailed primarily by DLT Trading and KnivesShipFree. Both give points when you make a purchase. DLT also gives points when you sign up for an account and for liking them on Facebook, Instagram and something else -- so you can get enough points to use even for a first purchase. I got these points without even being a member of those social media pestilences, apparently by just going to DLT's home page on each. DLT seems fairly liberal about giving a 7% military/leo discount, and they have a better return policy. But KSF may have the handle that you like the best.

Glenn if you are ever in Florida look us up. Swear my wife was born with a machete in her hand on the island of Samar Philippines. What she has forgotten about bush craft is more than most will ever know. She could teach you how to use them properly :rolleyes:. It is literally an extension of her arm. What I saw her doing during the hurricane clean up amazed/scared me. For any thing smaller than six inches across her machete was faster than my chain saw. She claims that how you use a machete is more important than the blade. Looking forward to your in depth review of the machetes. Might try to get her one for Christmas.

On the bear front our neighborhood black bear hates my dogs so much now that they just look at it and he runs off. When my ABCA Boarder collie and collie lab mix are gone will get bear bangers for the house. He broke through the fence one day to get to the ripe saw berries and they herded him around as a team but never getting close. Recalled them as soon as I could.

Back