• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Drift boat followed me home.

Reaction score
Yesterday I went to town and drove through a new neighborhood. There was a 2002 Hyde aluminum drift boat sitting there with all the right stuff. 16 feet, carbon fiber oars with counter weights, 3 dry boxes under the seats, compartment in the bow. Very well outfitted. I went to the bank and gave the guy $3,300 for it. It is around $11k new not including the extra equipment. Nice trailer with mag wheels and new tires. I would never spend that for a canoe but an aluminum drift boat is pretty indestructible if you can stay off the big rocks.

I like canoes, but the drift boat is a wonderful craft for the tougher rivers. Compared to a raft it rows like a sports car. Lots of room. Easy to bring 3 dogs. I can stand up and move around. I have an 8 hp long shaft Honda 4 stroke on my power boat that I will use for lakes. It would be the perfect boat for a 200 mile trip down the Yellowstone R for instance. I had a wooden one years ago and really missed it. Happy Birthday to me, as I turn 70.

Now I am probably going to down size and sell my raft, an AIRE Jaguarundi that is 16 feet.
I will probably sell the 19 foot Jetcraft with a Yamaha 115.

Great buy. There is nothing like rowing a drift boat in fast water. Back in the 60's I was a broke college student in
Eugene Oregon and managed to buy a beat up "Rapid Robert" style plywood drift boat. Had a great time with it, but sold it when I left Eugene. I have always wanted another one.

Thanks Bob. You get the magic. I did a nice canoe trip starting in Eugene on the Willamette R a few years ago to Albany, around 78 miles.
I have fond memories of seeing the Dead at Autzen Stadium. I am a third generation Husky and have no affection for the Ducks. Corvallis is a nice town.

ppine,

I post all of my images directly from my computer. I do not go through an external host. I store the images for a particular trip in their own folder.

When I am ready to post, I click on the "Mountain" scene in the tool bar. It is in the 5th icon from the right. Then a window pops up titled “Image Properties”. I then click on "upload" right beneath the title. Then another window pops up, and I click on "Choose File." After a few moments, my computer directs me to a folder. I make sure that it knows what folder I'm looking for. Then I click on the image I want in that folder. When I do that, a blue "choose" appears in the lower right hand corner. I click on the "choose," and a window pops up that lists that name of the image to the right of "Choose File." I then click on "Send to Server." I need to be patient here, because it takes a while (10-15 seconds?) for another window to pop up. In the lower left corner, it gives you choices of "Full Size," and below that, Width and Height. A lot of my images come across as a width of 2,000, which is too large. In that box, I adjust it downward, usually to 1,000. , or even 900. The height is then adjusted automatically. Then I click “OK,” and the image pops up where the cursor is placed in the text.

Michael

Sorry but I have not been successful in posting photos.

I’d love to see photos of your now soloized Canadienne, and your new driftboat.

Many photo hosting sites are free. I use Flickr, accounts are free up to something like 1000 photos, and Flickr seems the simplest for a computer dinosaur like me to navigate.

Once photos are uploaded to Flickr to post them here just click on a photo in the album to make it full screen, click on the curvy arrow button on the bottom right, select “BB Code”, size them no larger than “Medium 800 x 600” (those selections will remain chosen the next time you go to post any photo on Flickr), click/highlight the link at the top, copy and paste that link into text and the photo will appear on Canoe Tripping.

I am a computer dinosaur, and yet have that sequence down to muscle memory. OK, I had to walk myself through each step to write down the sequence, but click/click/highlight/copy & paste and presto, a photo appears.

thanks for the suggestions for posting photos.
I have photos in my email that I cannot seem to move to my hard drive or Flickr.

Last edited:
Back