• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Crown Land Camping in Ontario opens up on Monday

Reaction score
Well, boys and girls, the big moment has arrived, canoe tripping season starts on Monday in Ontario! Not much consolation for our American friends, but perhaps that will change soon too.

What is your first trip and when mem?
Up here look like borders between BC and us will open soon, but not to Alaska and not to other provinces yet... I don’t mind. I kind of enjoy the quietness of our little town w/o the craziness of camper and trailers and motor homes everywhere!! And if our friend from America could follow the rules and stay on the highway and not come down town it would be even better hahahha

Things this way are locked.. Newfoundland Labrador New Brunswick and Nova Scotia bar travel other than provincial residents. We allow out of staters but require a 14 day quarantine which is keeping things very quiet. Good.. Going to do a lot of Maine trips. Non residents cannot camp for another month.
Kids camps alas are not running trips off their campuses. Some usually run trips on some Maine waters.

I'm gonna do a local overnighter next week, a fun little white water run, with some good fishing. Fire ban was lifted yesterday too, so things are really looking up! Want to get my wife on a trip this summer too, hopefully for seven days or so.

I think the government negotiated the June date to accommodate the black fly contingent ... apparently they will starve without the influx of campers. I love early May and middle of August well into deep fall .... in between not so much, mosquitoes can be dealt with the the BFs are just plain mean and devious.

I think the government negotiated the June date to accommodate the black fly contingent ... apparently they will starve without the influx of campers. I love early May and middle of August well into deep fall .... in between not so much, mosquitoes can be dealt with the the BFs are just plain mean and devious.

our BF obeyed the Stay at Home orders. Made eating on the deck miserable on still nights. But the winds have been up quite a bit and they cower by my garage out of the wind making getting to the car kinda miserable.

Please feed the brothers. Maybe they'll be less cannibalistic when I arrive.

but they know no political borders. .. Anywhere there is St Lawrence mixed forest or boreal you are meat. Be glad you are not in Newfoundland. They persist all summer there and in Labrador and northern Quebec

went to get a couple of loads of firewood today. Blackflies were as bad as I have ever seen them. Only the smoking chainsaw seemed to help.

Assuming a citizens of another country could enter Canada, would they be allowed to camp, hike, canoe on Crown Land? More generally, are there differences in treatment between Canadian citizens and non-citizens?

Assuming a citizens of another country could enter Canada, would they be allowed to camp, hike, canoe on Crown Land? More generally, are there differences in treatment between Canadian citizens and non-citizens?

Difficult to say at this point, as everything is basically day to day. I'm assuming if they open the border, it would be business as usual. The Outfitters in our area, most of whom are American, are going to have a very tough season if the borders don't open.

U.S. citizens are able to camp on Crown Land during regular times, but there is a fee, I believe it is ten bucks a night, or about $6.50 american, lol.

Difficult to say at this point, as everything is basically day to day. I'm assuming if they open the border, it would be business as usual. The Outfitters in our area, most of whom are American, are going to have a very tough season if the borders don't open.

U.S. citizens are able to camp on Crown Land during regular times, but there is a fee, I believe it is ten bucks a night, or about $6.50 american, lol.

Didn't know the exchange rate was THAT lopsided.
Sometimes you can rent a tent from an outfitter and that qualifies as lodging. If a US er purchases lodging from an outfitter you don't have to pay for your permit. Mem is speaking of Crown Land only in Ontario. More than once I have been able to rent my own tent.. a little sketchy there.

Day use only doesn't AFAIK require a permit.

I would imagine a quarantine would be imposed as it is here too if the border is opened soon. Provincial regs apply too. I have little hope of getting where I want this summer
https://www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19/travel-restrictions/

Back