• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Look what followed me home today ...

Very nice! I see with the yoke fixed toward the stern it is already set up for solo. You putting it on the water soon?

Very nice, Congrats. Hopefully it will be a user and not a mantel piece. My Chum is 15', a little wider and a tandem and it makes a great solo tripper imo. I have been out solo 10 days in mine, Mine is not a very good tandem, maybe with a kid but even then I have to kneel to feel comfortable. Enjoy!

Hi everyone, thanks for the kind comments. I know it sounds crazy, but I really haven't been able to go over the new canoe in detail yet. There are several things of note:

First, this canoe was built by a woman in her basement, in a pretty densely populated suburb of Philadelphia... about 2 blocks from the Delaware River. I gather it's only been paddled in Pennsylvania waters. The owner is now 71 and because of health problems knows that she won't be getting out in the boat anymore. I assured her I would put some miles on her in new places!

Originally this boat was built as a solo, and the original solo seat location hanger holes are present in the inwales. There are several things which need immediate attention such as the seat hanger bolts which are really undersized I think; no more than 3/16" machine thread brass bolts for example. The bow seat has spacers made of 1/2" copper tubing which I will upgrade to match the stern seat.

In my excitement to tie her up onto my truck rack, I forgot to go back into the owner's yard and pick up the regular center thwart. I could make another one, but the original one has the proper patina, etc. I'll have to go back for it. I may want to go back anyway... she's selling her woodworking bench which has a couple of vises, holdfasts, bench dogs, tool tray, etc. It's pretty nice!

While in her basement I got a chance to look closely at a 1925 OTCA on which she mentored a friend who repaired 5 broken ribs, and then canvassed this past week. I was impressed with her knowledge and skill!

I'll have more comments and photos to follow shortly. Tomorrow I'm building an overhead rack for her in my barn. I can't bear to see her sitting on the floor!

One last thing. Some of you noticed what was referred to as a bit of "wonkiness' at the canvas/stem juncture. Although I haven't really looked at how feasible it will be, but it seems that it's merely the overlapped canvas at the stem which wasn't accurately cut off before the external wood stem was installed. I think some very careful work with a razor blade will clean it up. Once cleaned up, I may consider painting her, although I'm not sure of color. I'm leaning toward traditional green (Thanks Robin for your many evocative green canoe pictures!), or perhaps a soft gray or gray/green. When I was 14 I got a chance to ride in a beautiful Mercedes 300 SL convertible which was painted this beautiful gray/green.... it's stuck with me for 53 years! Any thoughts, or should I honor the original builder and keep the current Rustoleum color?

Click image for larger version  Name:	5CZcym8sRW2UHon9l5la0A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	793.1 KB ID:	110893Click image for larger version  Name:	HjjdoLE7R86b%vGYZXc2Ag.jpg Views:	0 Size:	700.8 KB ID:	110894

pretty and smooth.. I wonder how the wooden stem was faired into the hull under the cloak of the brass stem.. Took some time and patience I bet as any gal appreciates!

Oh no forest green is common. The only trouble with white is that it may discolor from pond scum ( if your area is so afflicted) though marine wax from McGuiers makes wipedown easy. There isn't really anything wrong with rustoleum.
Apple green can be a conversation starter and I have seen some wood canvas canoes in that color. Take a browse through the WCHA forums for paint ideas.

The prettiest canoe I have seen is purple.Applied with an airbrush and in lightening shades.

white is an attractive color on the water. some pix here
http://freestylecanoeing.com/

Last edited:
Back