• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

A New Charity Idea

Reaction score
I have a bunch of gear I don't need. Also no heirs to leave some nice canoes to. For some time, I've thought there should be a non-profit to donate and distribute (or sell) tripping/camping gear. Proceeds would in turn benefit keeping tripping relevant to a new generation, keeping BWCA (and other places) clean and relevant. Young families with limited means would have a means to acquire gear that would otherwise go wasted. Maybe such a NFP exists, but I can't find one.

Great idea Black Fly. I have traditionally given extra equipment away to friends. Now I am getting older at 70, and willing to let some stuff go. I will give it to the Boy Scouts, youth camps or the Boys Club. I have some really good horse tack I have collected over the years and it is going as a package in my will to the Nevada State Museum so people can see it.

BSA in MN may be an option, but after finding a few trashed BS campsites, I'm a little jaded about their dedication to LNT.

i guess the Northern Tier BSA group might work for camping gear, but I'd be rolling in my grave with 13 year old kids dragging my canoes around. Resting in peace would not be an option.:(

Last edited:
I'm really impressed by the number of outdoor schools in the USA offering programmes from liberal arts to earth sciences and everything in-between.
https://www.bestcollegereviews.org/f...tdoor-schools/
Perhaps you could find a grateful recipient not so far away. Maybe a delivery road trip might be in order when the time comes?
Another possibility might be partnering with an organization to raffle off any of your select items. Raffles might be a good way to advertise for them and find an appreciative new home for some of your canoes & gear.
Anyway, you have a good idea, hope it comes to fruition.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if they’re after any gear, but you could reach out to Urban Boatbuilders in St. Paul, MN. I know they run a BWCA trip with their apprentices and may like some gear for that, they probably won’t be as standardized as BSA.

While I haven’t really dug into them much, their apprenticeship seems like a really cool way to help build skills, direction, and possibly add a bit of paddling appreciation/passion once it’s all done. Hopefully they also practice good etiquette out in the woods!

Well I spoke to a BSA leader in MN. Only interested in sleeping bags and pads. They keep everything else standard.

Wow! over the years I've given Canadian Scouts dozens of stoves, lanterns, stock pots, tarps and poles, etc,to various troops, and sleeping bags, pads, and flashlights to many individual kids.
Up here, they'll keep what they can use and most groups'll garage sale what they can't use (I scored a sweet 2 man 3lb tent for $20 at one sale) It cuts down on gear costs and leaves more money in the pot for programs

Back