• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

New addition

Reaction score
I recently added my first WC canoe to my fleet. A Chestnut prospector 17. 82 pounds. To say I'm impressed is an understatement. I really never imagined I would own a WC canoe but the bug bit me about two months ago. There is something special about paddling a WC canoe that I haven't been able to place yet. Maybe it's the instant connection to a Bygone era. Whatever it is, I am looking for to many trips this summer!

20200503_090854.jpgDJI_1049.jpg

Congratulations, that is a beautiful canoe, great pics. I look forward to reading a trip report or two this summer. Good on ya!

Bob B.

Very Nice!

Schuyler Thomson, a recently retired wood canvas canoe restorer/builder of 35 years full time told me he considers the 17' Chestnut Prospector the best of all wood canvas canoes. He wasn't talking about quality of the build but the best paddling canoe.

Congratulations, I'm a big fan of Chestnut canoes, enjoy.

Sdrew22,
Way to go. Hard to do better than Prospector. I got a hold of an OT 25 years ago. They are hard to find in Nevada. I have a Guide 18. The wood creaks and groans in rough water. It has life. My boat has always been somewhat beat up, but I am doing repairs now. I never wanted to restore it, because then I would be afraid to use it. Having a trailer helps a lot. We portage little on big western rivers.

When the canvas started to fall off, I thought about selling it. Nope. Time to recanvas. I am putting back some ribs and planks now.
Enjoy your new canoe. W/C is much tougher than I expected. There have been some rock hits over the years. Some people seem tempted to want to get in the boat when it is on dry land. Anticipate this and never leave the boat face up and unattended. One of my prized possessions.

Last edited:
Nice boat! Nice kit! I want one but up here they are pretty much inexistent and getting one shipped site unseen is a bit nerve racking to say the least. So maybe one day I drive south and search or get what would be the ultimate for my needs, a Timber Cruiser made by Douglas Ingram in Lorette Manitoba! But I will need to hurry up if I go that route cause Doug told me he is not gonna make a lot more boats....

I'm interested in your thoughts on the leather strap/kneeling seat I see you have installed between the bow seat the center thwart.

I paddle a 16 foot tandem canoe that has similar lines to a 16 ft Prospector and I was thinking of installing something similar for solo paddling.

Thanks for the replies! I am doing minor restorations once the weather breaks. Touching up the paint and varnish. I also purchased so replacement bolts from Nortrwoods canoe.

The Azland saddle is incredible. In quality and comfort. The leather is extremely soft. I will solo this a majority of the time. I took her out in some wind yesterday and was surprised by the amount of control I had with a light load. The saddle made this possible. I own a Hemlock SRT so I am accustomed to paddling a deep boat in windy conditions.

Can you heel the canoe and paddle Canadian style from the Azland, or it is meant to be used with the canoe paddled flat?

Congratulations on your new addition- and welcome to the club! Thats a beauty!

But be very careful: once you've got one Chestnut you'll be looking for another...and another....ask me how I know!

Only 82lbs for a 17footer? I weighed my 16ft Fort at the WCHA Assembly a couple of years back and it came in at 85lbs dry.
And by the way, the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association- WCHA- is a good source of information and assistance for all wooden canoes.

Cheers and welcome to the club!
Chestnut Fort.JPG
Bruce

Yes I like that sling seat. I think I'll try to make one similar to that out of webbing and cordura nylon. I got out in my 1928 old town today. I have to kneel since I also have a thwart in the way behind the bow seat. The sling seat should be an improvement. IMG-7781-01.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG-7781-01.jpeg
    IMG-7781-01.jpeg
    355.7 KB · Views: 0
I used two old leather belts as a sling while I waited for my saddle to arrive. I made them form an X to reduce stress on the gunwales.

I am already scouring the web for my next Chestnut. I am in trouble for sure. In my mind she weighs 82 pounds and will never not surpass that. That's my mental threshold for portaging.

I was going to say that now you need to look for another one. My third w/c boat is now my favorite. It's kinda like women, your first love may not be your best love, It's best to try a few out. Unlike women though you can have more than one. It's just too bad they don't have baby canoes.:D

Dogbrain, I typically kneel but I cut a piece of foam to fit the bow seat to bring it up to the height of the thwart. It's not pretty but it makes for a comfortable seat. My wife was in the bow the other night and said she felt like a queen in that high seat. Naturally you have to evaluate the effect it has on stability.

Congratulations on your new addition- and welcome to the club! Thats a beauty!

But be very careful: once you've got one Chestnut you'll be looking for another...and another....ask me how I know!

Bruce

Amen Brother, I have 3 factory Chestnuts and a 14'er built off the Chestnut Fox lines

....and there is a secret handshake for Chestnut owners and "cold handle frying pan" owners.;)

Back