• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Overhead Canoe Storage

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any overhead storage solutions? I have tall ceilings in my shop and it would be nice to have some of the canoes on a pulley system. It would be great to drive my truck in and lower a canoe on top. I know there are some kits online to do this, but it would be expensive to have several. I was thinking this could be done with some inexpensive block and tackle systems. Thoughts? Photos?

Thanks

Bob

I have a $30 game hoist for loading my topper (probably 150#) onto my truck, and for my boats I just have eyelets and rope fore and aft with the boat on a couple of 2x2 cradles. No pulleys--I have to do one end at a time, lifting the end up as I pull--sort of a hassle, but I'm cheap. I'd recommend single pulleys at least (50-75 pound boats).

Last edited:
Plus one on the commercially available Harken Hoister. I am big in to D-I-Y but after pricing the parts to build a hoist, the Harken Hoister seemed an excellent deal to me!

I use these type of hoists, work great and are easily handled by one person and I got them for less than $20. I have 7 in my shop and we have about a dozen in the Merrimack/Sanborn shop.
IMG_20200504_230437.jpgIMG_20200504_230458.jpgIMG_20200504_230407.jpg

I have 5 on the kayak hoists. As already said, you can buy the hoist system cheaper than piecemealing one together on your own. (Quality would be better DIY IMO though)

be sure to check clearance height before driving outta the garage/shop. Actually had an issue once, pulling out wasnt a problem, but that old Grumman still bears the mark from the return trip. When the truck bounced on the lip up between the floor and driveway, we rubbed the door a little (worn out door springs combined with washed out driveway gravel) 10' doors BTW. And a buddy's larger truck. Never even thought to check the clearance that day!

Jason

Last edited:
BWCAA66- perfect. Thank you. I can’t justify 1k on straps. I moved recently and have been trying to sort out a new system.

Thankfully the height isn’t an issue, but I could see how that could easily happen.

Bob

I made five of these last year, for my big canoes. Went to the hardware store, bought 20 large type eye hooks, ten pulleys and a bunch of yellow nylon rope. Think the entire cost was under 50 bucks. Just screwed the eye hooks into the beams, put a pulley on one side, tied the rope to the free eye hook and pulled them up. Tied off to a large nail. Of course, if your garage is wife proofed and looks like Martha Stewart decorated it, this might not fly.

We have several of these. There are others that look very similar that we sent back to where ever we ordered them from as they were flimsy and weak. At less than $20 US each I, like others, wasn't going to mess with making something. Our first floor is supported by full span 24" tall web joists so they hang canoes and kayaks flush to the basement "ceiling".

https://www.walmart.com/ip/1004-Kaya...Pack/485157258 Click image for larger version  Name:	20191120_093534.jpg Views:	77 Size:	276.0 KB ID:	109956

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191120_192603.jpg Views:	75 Size:	304.9 KB ID:	109957

Best regards to all,

Lance

Last edited:
I have exposed attic trusses- not sure I would have thought to hang the hardware above to get them even higher. thanks Lance.

I have five home made pulley hangers in my garage. All but one are single person pulls on doubled ropes, a cedar strip canoe, two lightweight kevlar Wenonah tandem canoes and a Hornbeck. The heavier guideboat requires either two people, or a couple of different height step ladders to lower each end down in stages by myself. Good pulleys are not cheap, but well worth the moderate expense to keep my boats safe and out of the way when not in use. I use braided nylon rope connected to webbing straps looped around the boats.

I made this about 30 years ago and I now have 3 canoes on it. I would not make a winch again. I would buy one of the light weight one. It is nice to flip a switch and run the canoes up or down.
1949283848_c5ab9ade63_z.jpg
P1010019 by magicpaddler, on Flickr
If I were doing it again I would use one of there
https://www.harborfreight.com/440-lb-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-60346.html

Last edited:
Cool idea. I have a car lift on one side of the shop. Maybe I could tie them off to it and as the lift goes up the boats could come down...? My wife will finally think I’ve lost my marbles.

Nothing near so fancy here.
We just use two 2” webbing straps with side release buckles.
It can be a one person job for a lighter boat.
Leave both straps extended all the way.
Keep one strap attached into a loop.
The other strap is unattached.
Put one end of the canoe into the looped strap.
Lift the other end of the canoe, loop the strap under and attach the side release buckle.
Now, lift each end of the canoe and pull the strap to the desired height.
I use a step stool.
Obviously, this may not work well for those with higher ceilings and works more easily with two people.
Thanks.

Attachments

• photo15478.jpg
    photo15478.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo15479.jpg
    photo15479.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo15481.jpg
    photo15481.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 3
The things I like about the Harken system are 1) the cam cleat that makes it easy to stop the boat exactly where you want it, up or down, and resume either direct, one-handed, and from non-specific location (manual cleats require you to be within arm's reach)....and 2) the straps hand open when buckled, or completely apart when unbuckled (makes inserting the canoe so simple).

OTOH, my system in the woodshed with low roof is just four screw hooks with a motorcycle tie-down at each end. Stick one end of the canoe into the strap loop hanging from both hooks, hold the other end while grabbing the loose dangling strap hook, reach up and hook to screw hook, then pull strap snug while lifting on the end of the canoe. Easier demonstrated than described). Cheap, quick & dirty - but requires a ceiling you can almost reach from the ground.

I have a small workshop, but the ceiling are high enough to store a couple of boats. I wanted something to allow me to put them up and take down solo ... so made up a double pulley system with a 3 to 1 mechanical advantage.

The boat gets fitted to the lifting "board" at the yoke (balance point), and the pulleys just lift it to the ceiling

View attachment TRbseB4FNTVqoWGxtOM4-o-y9y4r1_HT4jbx0E4tpGtt1n4jT2yNO6KasSASBDTW3XLOLthFXNhsCaFxn__jwCG6PngRfG5LD0lc

The pulling side looks like this

View attachment ZxiNIQQvJIwBPlcgdnLmaK3J-moW_JJLHYlyHTEIR4bUgyPPOygjKD0U2cu5AfRNtCdMRbkj-cXyTaxR2OlqSAIetMNUybdWeTv1

I don't really like to leave the boats hanging by rope or by the pulley system, so I have a "hanger" at each end, which are pieces of chain with pipe insulation or noodles to protect the boat

View attachment dtPDvqbuQ6ew6ITH1Kx1h36CWrJAc53lkR9VCsvAFX27KSR3loT7VasmJS3XyhmrH2j4gjtZ4CmyedLl4MzmSo011j-vgyQxwrCc

The components are pretty cheap and the entire system works well for me. I use chain on the hangers, because I have read several articles suggesting that mice and other small critters will chew rope, so inexpensive chain prevents any rodent issues.

Brian

Back