• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Making a fishing canoe

Reaction score
Anypersons out there through an electric trolling motor and a depth finder on their canoe? Im going to do some fishing in my canoe. I am considering a 44lbs thrust trolling motor and a fish finder.
What fish finders are good and any particular motor? Also has any person hooked up a little down rigger on theirs?

I use an older Lowrance portable for my canoe, suction cup transducer mount and uses 8 AA batteries.

Small clamp on rigger would work but don't snag it on anything. I have on but never use it anymore. If I wanted a motor I would get a flat back canoe.

Karin

No Title

I have attached my old lowrance to the thwart and the transducer with old side view screw on mount. Never tried the electric motor but I am getting close!

Attachments

• photo7821.jpg
    photo7821.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 1
You could go gas powered on a square stern. 2.5 horse 4 stroke suzuki, 30 pounds.

Ow1AH4U.jpg

Working on a fishing setup myself. I have a little Mohawk pack that I have built an outrigger platform in the "Wingman" style. Two coolers act as the pontoons and provide a nice bait well or catch well or "beverage" holder. It also turns the temperamental little boat into a very stable casting platform.

Attachments

• photo12548.jpg
    photo12548.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 5
In my experience a wider canoe makes fishing out of, more stable. Out riggers are certainly an option.

The battery should provide extra stability.

I've seen pics of of a simple brackets, made from 2 X construction lumber.

Stability would be my biggest concern !

Jim

We fished for years out of Karins Swift Mattawa with her portable fish finder along every where we went. I was sceptical at first but it was no bother to use. An electric motor would be a great idea.

17' Grumman Standard. 30lb thrust Minn Kota moves it very well. More thrust wanted will generally get you a longer shaft - becomes uncomfortable. Can clamp motor down tight and steer with paddle however. Two Wenonah seats. Bottom Line Sidefinder portable fish finder. Do not skimp on battery. The difference between the $65 Wal mart and the $130 Interstate is huge - money WELL spent. Have 2 horse Suzuki outboard but with a good battery don't need it. Sometimes for trolling Chick will sit in the bow facing stern. She has 2 rods out. I paddle/motor stern with one rod straight out the back. For brushy stuff put one side of a jumper cable on a piece of rope attached to thwart. Put yourself by shore and clamp jumper cable on bush, tree, shrub, etc. Can cast from there or wade. Many motor mounts available for canoes. Make sure you keep the nuts that hold the motor cables to the battery tight and check them. Failure to do so will set your arse on fire.

My buddy found a magnetic transducer bracket for his cane and it works great ....no holes....no glue....no clamps.

I’ve been puttin the 2.5 hp Suzuki, with the motor bracket Clipper sells, on a 16’ nova craft prospector turned turned backwards. Having the motor off to the side works great, less awkward to drive than twisting sideways with a square back. I’ve tried this motor bracket on boats with narrower gunnels like clippers, and it doesn’t work as well as the beefier nova craft gunnels. I have no regrets going with the tiny gas motor, cause it makes multi day trips possible. 2 litres of gas will push the boat pretty much all day.

I have a power boat with all the equipment on it like a good fish finder, down riggers, etc.
But I have caught a lot of fish in a canoe because they are quiet. I like to troll with a paddle. It is simple, and it works. Even in summer, I have caught plenty of trout and some salmon.
I like to have a line out when traveling. In the Boundary Waters my brother caught walleye every single day in a week long trip. He always had a line out.
For cold water fish a fish finder is a big help. For warm water fish I don't think you need one at all.
When I fish from a canoe I just ask people with fish finders what depth the fish are hanging in , where the thermoclines are.

Back