• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Spray Stuff

Reaction score
Someone mentioned "spray poly" at some point. Was that polyurethane? I've rolled a finish before, but spraying seems like it would be better if just for cosmetics.

PS - the squeegeeing G-Flex 655 is the best trick I've learned yet. I've been letting epoxy thicken, dabbing with a paintbrush, and sanding smooth.

Last edited:
spray poly does work, but it has it's own problems; it can run very easily because it's thinned down drastically, you can't apply one thick coat, so you end up laying down multiple coats to get the same protection as a single coat of brush- on, and it releases a lot of nasty particles in the air.
where it shines though is for a quick touch up in high wear spots, or if you discover a nick or scrape just before a trip and need a quick drying coat for protection as many sprays will set up in less than an hour.

In the 1980s and 1990s I made a lot of custom staircases. We started shooting standard and waterborne polyurethane for stairs and parts such as spindles in the 80s and I still shoot it occasionally. I own standard gravity feed and turbine HVPL setups and an airless sprayer and have used them all with good results. I suspect that for me the choice of whether to reach for a brush or sprayer would depend on how big the project is and what kind of use the item was going to see.

Each type of gun has a slightly different setup and adjustment technique but all can give great results. As with any finish job gun handling technique and surface prep are what is going to determine the outcome. I'm of the belief that a thinned priming/sealing coat of 2 parts polyurethane to one part thinner is needed and you can expect to shoot at least one more coat, maybe two more coats, then you would brush on. The trade off is that as long as you follow the manufacturer's recommendations for re-coat time windows, very lightly hand sand with 220 or 240 grit sandpaper between coats and use standard dust control measures you'll have a smoother finish than rolling or brushing can leave.

If I were to spray a whole hull and I didn't already have a spraying setup I'd be looking at something like these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chef-Magne...hash=item23d5eba70c:m:mk2P8KUcnPIGnCoepair7Pg

Best regards,

Lance

Back