• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Anyone know whether the ADKs non-permit backcountry sites are open for camping?

Reaction score
From what I can gather, all the Adirondack locations requiring state issued permits are closed until May 31 and they are not even taking reservations beyond that date at this time.

But it is less clear whether the first-come, first-served type camping areas that don't require a permit are open or closed at this time. Anyone have any insight?

I am on the Paddling in the Adirondacks FB page and there seem to be some out camping now at backcountry sites.

NY is on "Pause," which means we are supposed to recreate locally. This is to protect the North Country residents from infection. Unfortunately, I am 3+ hours away so I have had to cancel 6 planned trips thus far. I am waiting until we are off the "Pause" and NYS authorizes us to recreate beyond our local area.

This is from an ADK Mountain Club email: Following Governor Cuomo’s announcement of a more detailed New York Forward reopening plan for New York State...For the North Country to reopen, seven requirements need to be met, which include achieving a certain testing capacity, lower case numbers, and more. As of May 7, the North Country meets five out of those seven requirements.

Last edited:
TrailBlaser is correct that we've been asked to recreate locally but to your question; many backcountry sites are open. I'm sorry I don't have the link but the DEC did post a list of campsites that are currently "closed" but it wasn't all that large. If there is a particular place you're interested in, it would probably be best to check the DEC site to see if it's on the list.

BTW...if I can find the link, I'll post it.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

While during the pause we are suggested to "recreate outdoors locally", normally free primitive campsites, including those along hiking and canoe routes, are not officially closed. The only exception is that use of lean-tos should be restricted to members of a single household at a time, instead of filled to capacity by anyone who comes along. In regards to trail registers, as always we are to sign in and out of any that we encounter. If someone is reported as lost, rangers will research all registers along the proposed route to limit where SAR is to operate first. I have taken to carrying my own pen for signing anything not of my own,such as trail registers and credit card receipts.

I read a post from hamelon county asking people not to come. The concern isn't while you are tripping, put at gas stations, stores ect.

It would be most helpful to cite sources. The last update I had from Long Lake was three weeks ago asking people not to come because they will visit many stores still and expose locals. It is true that closing the border and avoiding travel helps. New Brunswick has had 2 cases and 0 deaths. And has closed their borders entirely even with other Canadian provinces. In Maine we have had 70 deaths and 1500 cases. ( we are starting to do a lot of testing)
But canoe trippers do not tend to shop.

Edit: While our canoe areas open up May 18th, in essence it is only for State Residents. Through June This way perhaps ( have no idea) a closure would have less inconvenience for those trying to travel. Having to self quarantine for 14 days starting in July is going to be enough of a damper on out of staters.
Maybe other canoe areas will use a similar rationale.

Since trying to keep track of closures and openers is like tracking someone on a spinning out of control Ferris Wheel dates matter.

Last edited:
Based on what I have been reading and hearing, the concern is not only about visitors stopping at shops, gas, etc., it is also about people congregating at trail heads, put-ins etc. where residents of the area are recreating locally (as they have been asked to do) and they might get infected that way. With Governor Cuomo it is all about the numbers; he is going to re-open regions of the state when the numbers indicate it is ok to do so. There are 7 criteria he is going by: NY Forward. As you can see, the North Country has met 5 of the 7 criteria, so they are close. I think the question (concern) will be that when an area can open, will it get overwhelmed with people from other areas resulting in a spike in cases. If that happens, Cuomo said he would close the region again. Hopefully that doesn't happen because getting into an open/close cycle would not be good for North Country residents and would create great difficulties for its health care services. This week I just cancelled what was to be my 7th trip up to the ADKs. Like many, I am "chomping at the bit" to get there. I have one paddling opportunity locally and some hiking and fishing locations, but none are wilderness or near the quality of experience I get in the ADKs.

Back