• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

My new winter project

Reaction score
It has been a few years since my cousin has been out West elk hunting and at 78yrs old he said his elk hunting days may be over. and that Pa white tails may be the best he can do. He then surprised me by giving me his 12x14 canvas wall tent complete with wood stove, floor and fly. He told me there was some dirt and a few holes from sparks from the wood burner but the tent should provide some use for me.

After hauling the beast home I unloaded the huge ball of canvas onto the shop floor and started to unroll the thing into a shape that resembled a wall tent.
Once I had it spread out, I found all the dirt and small burn holes which didn't pose much of a problem, an easy fix. Upon looking a little closer I found the
"dirt" was mold in addition to two large sections of dry rot. This was not an easy fix.

I can clean the mold but the dry rot is just too big to cut out and fix. There is plenty of good usable canvas left so I would like to reuse the canvas to make a smaller tent. I have never done anything like this and have tons of questions. I was thinking maybe a 6x8 wall tent but I am open to suggestions.

I would love to hear from anyone with building tips or suggestions.

Many years ago I sewed up a 9’x12’ wall tent on a treadle sewing machine. Not sure what I can offer at the moment but I’ll jump in when I can. Just before you really start I would stress test all the canvas you think is usable, if it isn’t strong anymore don’t waste any time fooling with it. I am currently on the hunt for some suitable canvas for a Whalen tent, and other projects.
Jim

Robin could/should be consulted on reducing the size of the wall tent. I would do a search of his old posts as he has a pretty nice set up from a scaled down wall tent.

I agree Boreal Birch, watching Robin on U Tube reminded me of moose hunting camp in Canada and how comfortable and warm a canvas tent can be.
While I have lots of questions on making my own tent, the biggest question for me right now is just how difficult is sewing this heavy canvas? I've done lots of sewing repairing small leather and canvas items but nothing on this scale. Sewing threw several layers of canvas has to be difficult. What kind of sewing machine will I need? Also, what kind of seam should I use? I have been trying to figure out how to make my cuts to use factory seams to keep my sewing to a minimum. After I answer these questions I still have to figure out what kind of frame to use.

Sounds like you have the workings of a nice shoulder season/winter kit. I might be able to help you with a few things from my experience of down sizing my wall tent.

I0QSF5xkgjorqMrMm1Kg-exJzKto1hVjoyOJCPjHOF_DDxD-WVQFn02lsKsa2dyrTULcgBt8OKA4CooFOBaUCCGz0IYrVPXxLz2ZFHYaSUXlfDTa14_sfDbxlZcvUe67w9MnTmUr6f2ZECCXrx-4PFp3eCml_qB1n4X49-e0UOQhOAt3dR-RW-a3cNUSfKzv94UopwsKIPQA4ou_AVRxChH2Mu5G66skAhx4xL1X9KKovuvrU4aM02NRSIFFd3cgkfOLRH0bndvmC3BelYBfLR8cTgJ3vvXAk9NlEXVrUPs-vJeFaQrhmyBa8bI27s6ZgTsEx7bwrG7tz6rQ8oOneijgDA3CYRbLbi75k8A1A02iuHJ0nBSRjVzc6eemXZcnVokK_raSoXyim7vUR8Axd0tm97p1gnUKVkIqLwHEn8uI4AoKx9T0p831irVeqt211BOrOtb7X74xYPPbLSII3V2Pn1IrOvN-sDO1MumMxhmRGciMnEi6q2vbDhwFImYi6I04IUKR6lev_jLMpvIpUIIZ2Ni4TvMnp8mRtgbszIsN4z1kGrywcMURby66ERdBqVjBnhM4pZPUWeMSfgzPaib1ixyf_t8ZuVg8wKG6izCCAKkA4BbiZi6hWRK8RwKMLiNPVqFvX8mv6dhkVH7eRrhT0bPEtp7EywNCMeA1t_C6VfzwUsRAM-I=w800-h600-no

Mine was an 8x10 by 6' plus high tent. It is now 7' wide x 6' deep by about 54" high. It's a light weight canvas, more like cotton. I was able to sew this with a regular sewing machine I picked up at a tag sale. I learned a bit about sewing on You tube and from my wife.I broke a bunch of needles and always worried about my fingers getting stuck with the needle. (never did stick my finger)

I think 6x8 is a real nice size for a wall tent, not too big to transport/heat and big enough for two or 3 people.Well, two people on cots but you need to take down at least one cot during day use, 3 people if you sleep on the ground. Just my experience.

I guess first you need to figure out how you want to use the tent. Solo, groups, car camping, on a sled/toboggan or down a lake/river via canoe. I would plan on using an interior frame here in the northeast. Finding poles in the woods here in the NE would be a huge task, and transporting them from home limits you to pretty much car camping. The interior frame material is tricky, it is fast and easy to set up but needs to be the right size for your mode of transport. I tried to use conduit with an angle kit, it was fast and easy to set up but very heavy, cold to the hands and noisy. It was strong, you could hang off it, but it just wasn't right for me. Aluminum tubes might work, if you can find the right width to match your angle kit. Probably pretty expensive. I like the wood dowels, actually closet pole from Lowes. It looks flimsy but when you put your tent on top of it and pull those guy ropes down tight it is very sturdy. It's also easy to place interior support poles for added snow load support. It is pretty lightweight and fits in the canoe nicely.
dO8sRrk9ZyssSVBsHu-ojwWfBruNf1ctQC5tHLcGHI1ryyrQ_sPJXuHaWHNei-EkUol3Nb56zE76RQEwWpGvyxxQJtzTsXuCmuO9ANMIL7Je9TZiP2ywaoMnvGeWS6N7_dFURqaqa-FBkfOX8RnGGCf3LqQO8sjxUKIhib_FWbrKg1wj9mRn5Gd6KWMDfvrivk9cZa-RAiaP8t6JTmlvMotVQHSig121V4nh_WOT0vxek5KmnzcekgjwBuQLp_mLbXOAiRc_tJ-fE49Och2zL4fQyaDuiBkx5MED5-BwGDiO7UE42THwErOWzmHud51eHFitX8DjTpMKYBKWptcyTiZzy35B29eNUy9CFb7aXt5ADlrb85SSHsrWvoi4SdK0pR4h0s-2Ky8gtwMoHywF5B57TA7umW_yRRO4XCSd3NHOw5PskahbEndJc4gY_BQdCk2OMF490xpUSSSrLsqOMnXgEN8xclqr5wq12Jb8rH6D_9qWiO0fBAz5FJgIIC9WkV2V3ML1FNV0TQOAQqe65jXnRsk7g1awW683dlqlrRsWY7AzBAKOAfrRo7sa3gF9qLM_x40qdSiuAV4p9Ja3O2ejxREDJNirwxGv0LyYoZu9obSzleol0MHSi9sHWjGtROob4cMuxBnGKjWmIoPNRFaA6MOh_fhOSlOi2XMZ4UoAeW6Ap4i-qhM=w480-h360-no

I found that making the frame first really helped me figure out where to cut and sew the tent. I set up the new frame in my basement and then I would lay the tent over it, figuring out where to cut from there. It was a huge help.

Mine doesn't have a floor, and I'm not sure if if I would ever want one. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to set up the tent with an interior frame and plus the weight added to the tent. I just use a small tarp and wear shoes.

Thanks Robin for the advice for the frame. It is simple, light and easy to repair if needed. I can't see how you could improve on that. Where did you get the brackets for the corners?
I had a nice lady in our local sewing shop give me advice about thread, needles and other tips about sewing heavy canvas so I am feeling a lot more confident, For now I have to start cutting the canvas down to a more manageable size then clean everything. I would like to get that done so after hunting season I can start putting things together. I hope to have it ready for Spring camping.

If you just google "wall tent angle kit" there are a lot of options. Check what size opening they have and see if you can find the right size material for the poles before you buy. I'm not sure if you would need 3 rafters for an 8' span, lots of opinions on that. With 3 rafters and 3 legs on each side you could use shorter poles, less roof sag and a lot more strength, just more money and more weight

Robin's tent is cool and really portable.
I have used a 10x14 foot canvas wall tent for 40 years. It has survived deep snow, below zero conditions, over 50 mph winds and huge rains storms. I love the thing. They must be stored dry. I bought to hunt deer, elk and antelope with my Dad and 2 brothers. We would meet up once a year in different states for a week. I have lived in the tent for up to a month logging and running tree planting crews. The stove is magic and changes everything.

I am working on my second 18 foot canvas tipi. Both of them have had some mildew and rot problems. Spraying them with some dilute bleach in water kills the mildew, but can weaken the canvas. Getting rid of the compromised canvas is a good idea. What is your side wall height? The bottom of the canvas often frays and rots due to contact with the ground. You can make the tent a little shorter and add new stake loops. You can cut out a bad section and resew on the long axis to make the tent smaller. Find an industrial sewing machine a use a French fell seam.

12x14 is pretty big and works best as a base camp for a longer trip say more than 4-5 days. Robin's tent you can travel with.
I have a canvas Baker tent that looks a lot like a slightly larger version of Bill Mason's canoe tent. Great with a fire in front and you can look out.
I have used a Whelen lean-to on many trips without insect problems. It works in the snow with a fire. I like being able to see out.

I have been having winter tent and tipi parties for 40 years. I used to invite my buckskinner, trapper friends. in January. We cooked a lot of buffalo in Dutch Ovens. People love the tipis. They are set up facing East. I like to watch the moon rise through the smoke hole. With a liner and a fire they are warm and not smoky. The firelight bounces off the white canvas.

My steel tent frame and tipi poles are set up in the back yard campsite. It makes it easy to camp out there. Sometimes I hang a couple of pieces of the tipi liner on the poles to block the wind. A fire feels good with the canvas enclosure in a semi-ciircle. The canvas is about 5 feet high. I can see out and see the stars. I sleep out there with my dog. Sometimes she chases coyotes up and down the fence. We have lots of owls around and sometimes they roost in the top of the poles while I sleep.

Pretty good post there ppine. I love reading and hearing those memories of a special way of getting out there, canvas and wood stoves. A couple of years ago I headed up to Lows Lake in the Adirondacks just about this time of year, early /mid May for 4 days and I hit the weather just right, sunny with no wind. I paddled the 13-14 miles in to a great little campsite and set up. Like you, I opened the front of the tent and had a good view of the lake out front as I ate breakfast next to the wood stove. Great memories.

I was trying to get that 16' wood canvas Chestnut Cruiser done this spring and make it back to Lows, but sadly it's not ready and the current events prevented my plans for this spring anyway. I might still get out for a quick local "commando" camp in a few weeks, life fly's by and the kit sits waiting for me to go.

DSC00523.JPG

Bothwell may have some ideas for you too, although the advice you have already is pretty good. Bothwell makes stuff as a side business and knows canvas, which type to use for tentage.

I personally like a slightly larger tent. We used to live in sections of modular tent that was heavy heavy canvas with super bit aluminum legs and purlins. Nothing like an outfitter tent really. My friend and I rented a canvas tent that was pre set up this winter....really awesome even in minus 30.

Attachments

• photo14150.jpg
    photo14150.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 2
Back