• Happy There's Nothing Like a Dame Day! 👩🏼‍🦳👗👙🎦

Dry bag for sleeping mat?

Reaction score
I need a long, narrow dry bag for my sleeping mat, which is 26" wide (so 26" long when rolled up). None of my dry bags are long enough to hold it, but I assume that someone has to make them in that shape. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
I usually just put mine into my large back-pack style Sealline dry bag, without any extra protection. I have a thermarest sleeping pad, and I once immersed it into a pond looking for a leak. It dried out in no time, like 20 minutes in the sun. You could almost towel-dry it if you had to if it got wet. It's your choice, but if it were me I wouldn't bother with buying a special dry bag for mine.

-rs

Last edited:
I usually just put mine into my large back-pack style Sealline dry bag, without any extra protection. I have a thermarest sleeping pad, and I once immersed it into a pond looking for a leak. It dried out in no time, like 20 minutes in the sun. You could almost towel-dry it if you had to if it got wet. It's your choice, but if it were me I wouldn't bother with buying a special dry bag for mine.

-rs

I've wondered how water resistant they are, particularly when rolled up tight. Maybe a dry bag is overkill.

as long as the valve is done up it will be fine if dunked.

I don't put my tent in a dry bag either, it's usually wet when I pack it each morning and dries quickly once set up. It stays outside of the dry storage section of my pack.

After my pad is airless with valve closed I fold it over and re-roll to bread loaf size or thereabouts. An elastic keeps it rolled up. It might go in a ditty bag just to keep it contained, but no waterproofing necessary IMO. If it keeps air in it must keep water out. It is basically a flat inner tube.

Nahhh I dont bother with a special bag for the sleeping pad. Mine rolls up pretty small like Brads and I just stuff it in my sleeping bag carrier, with a trash bag liner.

Those seal line dry bag style packs are pretty good. We have Eurekas that are the same and ours work awesome.

I also use a long thin dry bag for my sleeping pads. Or X4 the various family sleeping pads.

BigDaddy’s giant Thema-Rest Luxury map is a sizable beast even when deflated & rolled tight. That thing is 77 x 30 x 3 inches thick, bigger/longer than most long thin dry bags. Plus it has some Staytechsomething fabric covering that does not out dry as fast as vinyl covered pads. And I leave the snap-on washable mattress cover on it, so I kinda want that pad & cover to stay dry and protected so I’m not bedding down moist.

Our other self-inflating pads are of various widths and lengths, down to #2 son who uses a short, narrow Therma-Rest. The weight of those sleeping pads is inconsequential, but they take up a lot of space, even in a big 115L dry bag. Stuffed into a custom sized dry bag they can rest lightly strapped down atop the gear pile, or even ride strapped to the back of a decked boat or kayak.

That boat is fully loaded for bear, and the only place left for the sleeping pad beast is strapped to the back deck.

We (“we” being trickster/design cogitator Joel and I) made our own custom dry bags. I made a family’s worth of custom long narrow sleeping pad bags, and some custom tapered bags for the decked boat stems (which are otherwise dang pricey, and not custom tapered). Joel made custom dry bags for guitars and banjos (which are otherwise either gawdamn pricey, or not appropriately custom sized for a Little Plucky banjo or backpacker guitar).

I cannot say this often enough – those custom heat sealable fabric dry bags are dead simple to make. Like anything else I successfully manage to do.

Sersiously, dead freaking simple. If I can do this anyone can. This Seattle Fabrics heat-sealable stuff, these instructions (for starters)*

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/dry_bag.html

We used (mostly) the heavyweight packcloth material. Joel’s instrument cases, which live on the back deck of a sea kayak for several months a year, are still going strong 5 or 6 years later. This stuff actually makes pretty dang durable dry bags using little more than an iron.

*There are several Googable tutorials on making heat sealable fabric dry bags. This is one of the best, especially for the cut-out diagrams. Seriously dead simple. For $22 a yard, even using the heavyweight oxford cloth stuff, what do you have to lose?

http://www.paddlewise.com/topics/boatequip/drybag.pdf

Beyond the on-line instructions I offer the following suggestions:

Make a full-sized paper template first. The fold-over top shape/notches is peculiar. If that template works to cut heat sealable fabric mark it, and save it for future use. Once you have the top pattern correct it is easy to widen or shorten that oddly notched, flapped roll-up and webbing strap/Fastex buckle end. That is the only tricky part, and it isn’t all that complex. heck, we figured it out.

Make a DIY “ironing board”; a straight cut piece of thick cardboard along a workbench edge is perfect (better than the actual ironing board in the hall closet in fact, and less to explain later). . . . BTW, the process doesn’t leave much irremovable goo on the iron, but just in case a cheap iron is $7
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-1100W-Lightweight-Iron/55383225

Make an ironing fence. Lay a board fence across the fabric edge to be heat seal ironed for nice even lines. 30 cumulative seconds of iron pressing time is all it takes for a tenacious seal, and a minute + isn’t too much heat.

I was impressed with how easy making custom dry bags with heat sealable fabric was. Seriously, dead simple. Enough that we made a half dozen, ordered more fabric, and made another dozen.

Seriously dead simple, or we wouldn’t/couldn’t have successfully made dozens of custom dry bags. I used some of the scrap to make some weirdo little stuff, and Joel is still using a heat sealable fabric wallet he made from leftovers.

Seriously dead simple. If you can slide a hot iron along a fence you can make custom dry bags.

Thanks for the links and info about making dry bags ... I can think of all sorts of useful things to make with that stuff!

I don't know... sounds complicated

If it was complicated I would have screwed it up somehow. Dummy dead simple.

90% of the construction is running an iron along the “seams” to seal the bottom and (one) side, where the fabric folds in half to meet heat-sealable to heat-sealable together. Sealing the bottom and sides is as simple as folding the fabric over and running an iron over the “seam”.

The only complicated part is cutting the pattern for the top end of the bag material where it folds over the webbing strap. That shape requires a 1 inch square notch cut out on either side, and a 3 inch tall flap of extra material left on one side to fold over the webbing. The reason for two little notches is a mystery until you start ironing the sides together and then becomes obvious.

We figured out a way to heat seal that fold over flap together (a little extra flap material where the webbing goes) and eliminate sewing any sewing except an inch of stitching at the edge of the webbing (and even that is unnecessary). If you use the quick release buckles with a ladder lock molded on each side there is no sewing there either. (I hate sewing)

Once you have that top pattern down it is easy to increase the width or depth of the bag, and the rest is just cutting a measured rectangle and using an iron. Just measure the pad (or whatever) and add three inches of material to the width (for a 1inch sealed “seam” ironed together, and an inch of play to get things in the bag), and add 18 inches to the height for a 1 inch bottom “seam” and the top flap and roll down closure material.

Non-rectangular stuff like instrument dry bags or custom tapered stem bags are a little trickier, but not much.

Back to the simpler patterns, we made 3 foot tall skinny bags to hold camp chairs. The chairs are bagged in the boat, and at the end of the evening in camp I just stick the chair back in the bag and know it’ll still be dry in the morning.

What grommets on a bag? Just iron triangle corners on the bottom and add them.

If anyone wants to give it a shot PM me a mailing address and I’ll trace the top pattern and stick it in an envelope.

Last edited:
I was just being a smart arse. Plan on making a gun case. Thanks for the idea.

I was just being a smart arse. Plan on making a gun case. Thanks for the idea.

Muskrat, I like smart asses, but even so apologies are in order. I found a copy of the 2011 project report originally posted to Solo Tripping and read it. It does sound complicated.

OK, both Joel and I were admittedly dang confused reading some of the “instructions”. Comically confused, mystified and asking each other “WTF does that mean?” at times, but once we got started on the first bag everything became clear.

I had forgotten some of the tricks and tips we learned, so it was good to re-read that DIY project post. Especially since this discussion prodded me to buy another couple yards of heat sealable material.

The two-day DIY project “trip” report is appended below. There were originally several dozen (Webshots) step-by-step process photographs and descriptions embedded. I took all of the defunct links and photo references out.

It is now a lot of photo-less verbose blather (I drank beer and typed while Joel ironed), but it was two days of learning while we got better at it, and may be worthwhile for someone planning to make DIY heat sealable dry bags.

+++

DIY dry bag project, Day 1

I ordered heat sealable Oxford and Packcloth from Seattle fabrics. And then read every on-line article on DIY dry bags I could find.

The best of the on-line guides I found was this one by Chuck Holst:

http://www.paddlewise.com/topics/boatequip/drybag.pdf
(There are also a couple of articles in old issues of Sea Kayaker as well if you can find them - (Spring 1990 and June 2002)

Neither Joel nor I are especially good at following instructions, and the formulas on page 4 of those instructions gave me a headache. We spent a half hour reading various instructions before deciding to wing it best we could and learn from our mistakes.

Tools and materials:

Large flat work surface. In this case a 4x8 sheet of reinforced (and gaudily painted) plywood on sawhorses.
Heat sealable dry bag material from Seattle Fabrics. We tried both the 220 Denier Oxford cloth and the heavier 430 Denier Packcloth. Each was equally easy to work with.
Large framing square (it helps to trim the material edges square before starting, so the heat sealed edges meet straight and true)
Scrap material from trimming the edge straight. We cut an inch off the end of the fabric – more than we needed, but we wanted the scrap piece to experiment with ironing temperature and time before we started on the first bag.
Cloth tape measure (it was easier to measure around the circumference of things like sleeping pads than to perform the math equations on page 4 of the instructions)
A thick wooden yardstick. Any piece of straight lumber with a right angle edge would do. We clamped this in place 1” away from the edges of the fabric to be ironed as a guide fence, so that the heat sealed edges were straight and uniform.
Clamps for above.
Scissors. We tried using a razor blade to cut the fabric, but scissors worked better.
An iron. The cheapest one I could find was all of $6. Having been in the doghouse for using the wife’s iron to seal Melco tape on a neoprene project it was time to buy one just for shop use.
Fastex buckles, the ones with double ladder locks for no sewing.
A piece of thick cardboard. An ironing board is too soft and the wood table top too hard. We put the cardboard under the fabric before ironing and it was just right.
Paper clips. Once the edges were laid even we used the paper clips to hold them in place before installing the fence and ironing.
A magazine. It helps to press something down atop the heat sealed edges immediately behind the iron.

Practice makes almost perfect - The first attempt

Joel and I had previously read the various instructions several times. We read them again in the shop. We looked at the formulas and equations and decided that bit was beyond our weak math skills. I could have asked the physics major in the next room, but we were confused enough already.

We read the more puzzling parts aloud to each other and were still confused – “The top flap of the shorter piece stiffens the mouth of the bag to help it stay open”.

Huh? What? What shorter piece? We’re only going to have one piece of fabric, cut to size and shape and folded over heat sealable shiny side to heat sealable shiny side. Ah, screw it; let’s just cut the first piece and learn from our mistakes as we go.

We elected to make the first attempt using the longest and thickest Therma-rest, figuring that if we eff’ed up our non-formulaic measurements it could always be used for one of the shorter, thinner sleeping pads.

Measuring around the most bulbous valve-end of that pad gave us a 26” circumference. Add an inch for wiggle room, so it isn’t a struggle to get the pad into the dry bag. Add an inch on each side for lapping the heat sealable material. 26 + 1 + 1+ 1 = 29.

The big Therma-rest is 31” long when rolled, and the Oxford cloth is 58” wide. We know we need an inch at the closed bottom end to iron together, and some unknown inches at the top to fasten the webbing and buckles and to roll down at least 3 times.

No sense in cutting some wee scrap of cloth from the 58” width just yet, we’ll cut it full length, seal the bottom and sides and trim the top as needed.

Ironing the material was easy. The thick yardstick fence helped immeasurable. As did my handing Joel the iron and saying “OK, it’s ready”.

Sweet, we have a long waterproof envelope sealed along the bottom and sides. But we are still confused about how to install the webbing and fastex buckles.

A mistake. We read and re-read the instructions, and discerned that we should have cut the folded-in-half fabric so that there was additional length material on one half of the top/open end, like an envelope flap in rectangle.

We puzzled this out and determined that we need about 5” of flap fabric on one side at the top. We cut down a 5” wide section from one side of the bag for opposing envelope flap. Fortunately we had left a lot of extra material for the length of bag needed and had room to spare.

That 5” wide flap section is what encases the webbing on one side of the bag. The webbing is cut to length and placed under the fold, and the heat-sealable fabric beyond the webbing edge is ironed together. That provides a fabric sleeve for the webbing, and helps hold it in place for later sewing if needed.

Having successfully figured out the simplest form of DIY dry bag for a Therma-rest we decided to try making another tall cylinder, this one for a camp chair. Pretty work. It’s getting faster and easier with practice, and we have another custom fit

Feeling more confident in our dry baggery skills we tackled something trickier – a dry bag for Joel’s Banjo. This one would be a tapered bag, and required considerable contemplation. That contemplation eventually produced a paper template for the oddly angled piece, and the template allowed us to check the symmetry of the piece by folding it in half to assure that the heat sealable edges aligned properly.

That shape, once ascertained, required an epic amount of /_\ material for a tiny instrument, and I was pleased that we had first made the template and not misscut the fabric trying to eyeball the shape.

By golly I think we’ve got the hang of this. We’ve got a couple more to make; one for Joel’s guitar and a couple more Therma-rest bags.

If we can do this well on our first attempts anyone can make a custom dry bag.

+++++

DIY Dry Bags, Day 2

Day 2 of our DIY dry bag making saw our routine better practiced, and comprehending the intricacies of instruction with additional clarity. I did slow the speed of our construction process down by trying to photograph every step along the way (hey, it beats ironing), so what follows is overly long if hopefully helpfully descriptive.

Step one: Square up the edges of the material. The sloppy cut on the side of the material came as-isfrom Seattle Fabrics. I can’t complain since they cut the yard lengths 40+ inches long.

We learned that is easier to make a full sized template of the needed material, including (and especially) the oddly shaped top cuts, and test fit that before tracing on the material and cutting. Duh.

This part of Chuck Holst’s instructions “The top flap of the shorter piece stiffens the mouth of the bag to help it stay open” suddenly made sense, especially if you substitute “shorter side” for “shorter piece)

For a Therma-Rest you need a piece of material 3” wider than the diameter of the rolled pad’s widest, valve end (3” equaling 1” on either side to overlap and iron together, and 1” of play to facilitate getting the sleeping pad inside).

Lengthwise you need 1” to iron over at the bottom, plus a minimum of 9 or 10 inches of extra material at the top to make the long and short side flap cuts outs. (Makes much more sense once you fold over and iron the first piece)

Once the rollover topside’s convoluted cuts, notches and webbing sleeve were completed all that remained was to iron seal the bottom, the side and the top (always in that order worked best)

That one was so easy we made two for identical Therma-rests. Practice quickly makes perfect. Two more done to near perfection.

Time to tackle something trickier – a bag for Joel’s Martin backpacker guitar.

That guitar has a very rugged case. That case isn’t waterproof and isn’t shaped at all like the instrument. And that case weighs almost as much as the guitar itself; it’s a backpacker guitar encased in a backpacker’s overweight nightmare.

Joel measured the size and shape and was confident in his dimensions. I was less so; we only have enough material left to cut this piece once, otherwise it becomes an odd sized tapered bag that doesn’t quite fit a tiny guitar.

Another template to the precautionary rescue. We cut a paper template to Joel’s calculated dimensions and, oh crap another template miscalculation, it’s a couple of inches too narrow at the mouth. Using that incorrect paper template we are able to discern the taper angle error. A new template cut and presto, a custom fitted, lightweight, waterproof guitar case

Template gooood. Winging it baaaad.

We put a grommet through the material on the bottom (even the 200 Denier Oxford cloth was tough to punch a grommet hole through) for an additional tie down point. Ironing over triangular a dog-ear flap of material provides plenty of sealed space for a grommet.

We finished up the day by making a few test strips of ironed over material, 200 Denier Oxford cloth and 430 denier Packcloth . Even at 30 seconds of iron pressing time that stuff was impossible to pull apart

Biggest lesson learned on day 2 – always make a template. We’ve got templates now for the Therma-Rest and Backpacker guitar (and we should have made a template for the little Plucky Banjo dammit).

The adventure continues as soon as we place another order with Seattle Fabrics. Should be a lot easier now that I have cut-out templates for a half dozen shapes and sizes.

++++

It was; I did another production run of custom bags all by my lonesome. Which is truly an invitation to screw up. And I didn’t.

dammit, now it looks like I have to start making my own dry bags...

Do you happen to have any pics of the top flap/opening of a finished bag? I read the instruction guide you posted, but I am still having a hard time visualizing what the top looks like when it is finished.

Also, it looks like 2 pieces are cut to form the bag, sealing both edges and the bottom - in other words, 2 side seams and a bottom seam. Would it be better to cut one larger piece of fabric, folded over onto itself, in which case there would only be one side seam?

Lastly, once it finished, does the coated side of the fabric stay on the inside of the bag or do you turn it inside out?

Back