• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Wool blanket size

Reaction score
I am working on my gear list for cold weather camping and I want to add a wool blanket. For those of you that carry a blanket regularly what size do you find serves you best? I do not enjoy being in a sleeping bag and I am thinking that using a wool blanket below me as an insulating barrier and my down sleeping bag on me like a quilt would be a good combination.

I have a 3-1/2 point (twin size) which seems to be a good size for one person. In your application, you would be able to double it up giving you a good amount of insulation.

Last edited:
Mine is a 3 point Hudson Bay downsized when it was chewed by mice. 80" x 52". It slides off my sleeping bag when I use it on top so I too put it underneath on top of a foam mat on my cot. It's great to have in the morning when the stove is cold. Wrap it over your shoulders to help adjust from the warm sleeping bag to the cold tent.
Also good outside to ward off the cold

rhWjZXcjm7i5Ov8Bai0TLEsbxUeDHDFDmnyg1JTFShYcZUIdbYzI_MtwRJDWSNO8lSOBc-AWr73psSbcow1OzMAA4g9xrkoKwCK7JsvJBNeQq6qSEFSrvm2MtGwipt2nAOu05EOH8w4uhuhvNHpg94Yez1l8V73Uunfqek5pqaYCHjHnEZTEbbPcZU6EfWMx9f9Hxe-nZkX1e3znvSZAAtRKaQ0jEU2bwgAuFU6a6GqOdTfNLHkeqq0GEnqHUxlh46M5JipbAi0qJtJcfCytWHoKoPTT0s32wG0BEWkZ6QP2quTexc5Ob3ndtUTrA5MPYMXCmC1XHa8NmC7-J6QF9GNozxC1ncN11nrYS0TRyuu2mUpSHVLKbZTjkqLHVA18i4-HbB0k2ohj-dh-AIUZuz_oHOLMsBTo4ZWR0Efaj8az1FGYPT2xEOanBdI3q0kqdEJPbEL-dh0a1mG90GBC4YPz0iKpQV2HKG9B9dppo3cUbrNRzv_909K9WhEYDzv8enPXaVxrmanhuVIzmJ1cx_auTCrc2z67DKMbj5Nj3dN5rm1_OjQsEsxE9ULXOPvPHRWwK8G6a_9dVWey5hU38HBzmAPnCOA9tnwuQZmys7c54ea_HkAGxIb7Cy6T06sgJV0x3jRR7zd4UzMp20xWXOcoGUvAW8vXvbh_-zkzUQ=w640-h480-no

There are a ton of them on eBay all different colors. The one with the stripes like in Robin's picture seems to fetch more dinero. They are outrageous when buying new... I will watch some ebay auctions and try to pick one up. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
We've had wool blankets, fleece w windproof shell and a TADV brand technical fleece blanket. All are useful and pleasant in and out of the tent, but are somewhat bulky depending on how you are getting into your camp (driving, sledding, snowmobile). As far as insulation with your plan, it makes sense to me only if you have a solid high R factor mattress setup under your open sleeping bag quilt system. (or a solid pine bough setup, etc).

We let our stove burn out fairly early as we head to bed and I sleep w my bag zipped up to between my knees and waist, necessitating wearing to bed a primaloft parka, fleece balaclava and fleece mittens (anything less than about 25F overnight)...sometimes it works wonderfully, other times, w/o reason I toss and turn fitfully all night long.

I have a 4 point blanket I use in a 7 x 7 ground tarp rolled up. The blanket is about 5'x7' I think. It is great for the back country - my dog Jake and I love snuggling up in it. I also have a half blanket ~ 3 1/2 by 5 or so. It is nice to wear over shoulders on cold mornings after leaving the blanket. It also cushions rocks and logs when sitting by the fire.

Bob

No Title

Better take a good big cover for two in order to be able to double the especially winter ,,,

Attachments

• photo6609.jpg
    photo6609.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 2
The correct size varies according to how tall you are. One thing I do is to sew the bottom edges together 1/3 of the way up to stick your feet unto. This keeps the blanket in place around your feet-warm feet good! I put the open side down so as to have a generous cover on my upper body.
Turtle

I bought a 4 point full size blanket. It will work well for me. It can cover two in a single layer or double layer for solo. It will be a necessity for cold weather tripping.

A "horse blanket" can be useful if heavy. They are made by pre-shrinking the wool to make it denser. They are best under you for ground insulation as they compress less. I cold weather I use one for that with a wool fleece roll on top.
Turtle

Some really cool stuff there.

Coleman Military Surplus is in Millersburg PA, and well worth a detour to visit. It is a sprawling warehouse filled with all sort of wonderment inside. And outside if you like old US Army vehicles and trailers.

Inside though is everything from Belgian field kitchens to German Army backpacks to sundry countries mil-spec clothing.

Things we had found there. Beefy military tarp and camouflage netting poles, for making a two-tripod hammock stands. Mil-spec Pelican boxes in perfect condition for a quarter the Pelican price. Rucksacks that fit barrels. Wool hats and gloves. Mil-spec stakes for when it absolutely, positively has to stay in the ground. Containers of all sorts.

Coleman Military Surplus is worth a detour if you ever find yourself along the Susquehanna north of Harrisburg.

Not far from Blue Mountain outfitters too. Better find a place to stay nearby, stops at both BMO and Coleman could eat up the better portion of a day.

https://colemans.com/about-us/

This is a test to see if I can use an apostrophe. Or if I can

Last edited:
Retro-vintage stuff seems popular again. I like it too. Those wool blankets look fine. I could collect way too many packs and bags.

Last edited:
About a year and a half ago, we went on a capote making binge, completed 8 of them for a Voyageur theme float in the Saranac Lake Carnival festival parade. Found the pattern online and found several Pendelton blankets on sale at a local mountaineering shop, and a couple of authentic HBC blankets some of us had on hand (it killed us to cut up those). The smaller size blankets are too small from cheap sources, you need the larger ones ( at least 66x90 inches) to make a full capote with hood.

NcewJ5H.jpg

Edtwrlu.jpg

Last edited:
I used a 3 1/2 point blanket for my capote and it was just big enough,but didn't have enough extra for a cape.

Back