• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Review of Estwing Sportsman's Axe

Reaction score
For my birthday, I was gifted with a very nice looking hatchet manufactured by the Estwing tool company. I've used it on several outings this past summer and have been very happy with it's performance and durability, so I decided to put together a little video review. Please check out my review of the Estwing Sportsman's Axe:

Cheers
-Wayne

I love mine - have had it for years. Though I would not call it an axe I'd call it a hatchet. I also have a full sized 26" axe version which is even more amazing.

The only real problem with both of them is the biggest feature really - all forged from a single piece of steel. Once you sharpen it so much you have to toss the whole thing out instead of just replacing the head like you do on a wooden handled axe. I've actually got two of the hatchets and my first one is starting to look a little stubby though it probably has 10 more use on it with my usage pattern.

I always thought that would make a nice tripping hatchet too. These days though, with my 60 year old wrists, an axe is pretty sketchy. I have gone to a machete and a chain saw. Yes, my chain saw is my favourite companion now since it makes short work of deadfall. The machete is surprisingly usefull too for limbing and sharpening and such. I know it feels wrong to not take an axe but here I am. Who would have thought it.

Christine

Christine, I use my machete as well. Have given up on the hatchet. Wrists and back are an issue for me and the longer reach with the long blade works better for me.

A lot has to do with personal preference, I do not like the feel of Estwing framing hammers and feel the same about the hatchet as compared to wood handled ones. On the plus side you never have to worry about the head coming loose and they are durable. I left one at a campsite about 20 years ago and it took about 15 years for the leather handle to start to deteriorate.

Prospector, I don't cut wood to heat my house and don't hang with people who chop a lot of wood but I've never heard of wearing out an axe head before the handle. Are you sharpening by hand or with a grinder or something? Can you even purchase replacement axe heads?

Prospector, I don't cut wood to heat my house and don't hang with people who chop a lot of wood but I've never heard of wearing out an axe head before the handle. Are you sharpening by hand or with a grinder or something? Can you even purchase replacement axe heads?
You could get a replacement head, but it wouldn't be a likely the existing handle would fit the new eye properly.

It's a one piece hatchet. From the video "All forged from a single piece of steel"

Not a big fan of Estwing hatchets (or axes). The balance always feels wrong, the distance between the cutting edge and shaft is too long, and I dont like the narrow neck of the steel shaft. I will sometimes choke right up on the head for detail work and it is too slim to get a decent grip.

I too have recently acquired a "machete-ish" knife, a Condor Lochnessmuk. The last few trips have involved significant amounts of trail clearing and I am keen to try it as an alternative to a small Gransfors axe that I would normally use. It is a bit shorter than a normal machete but has plenty of weight up front for clearing thin willows and alder.

A lot has to do with personal preference, I do not like the feel of Estwing framing hammers and feel the same about the hatchet as compared to wood handled ones. On the plus side you never have to worry about the head coming loose and they are durable. I left one at a campsite about 20 years ago and it took about 15 years for the leather handle to start to deteriorate.

I chop a lot of wood every year so didi my dad and we still own the same axes, some of them with the same handle. when you know how to use an axe you don't brake handles or at least not often and you don't wear out a axe head in a life time. Unless you are careless and use it in the ground or on other stuff than wood....

My axe doesn't see nearly the mileage other axes do, but I never resort to the grinder. A hand file for nicks ( a rare thing) and then a stone to finish the edge is all it ever takes to keep it keen. On trips I only ever pack a medium stone. Just a touch up after every use and away it goes for the night. My Fiskars hatchet is soft. Easy to sharpen but easy to dull. In a planned moment of spontaneity this winter I will replace it with a better blade.

Yeah I use the grinder - I'm lazy. Actually usually 800 grit sand paper if possible. Probably a bigger mistake is letting Scouts use my hatchet so yes it does end up getting pounded into the ground and what-not.

I'm a small forest axe fan. Just the right size for my reality and combined with a Silky saw makes a great combination.

I'm not casting aspersions regarding people's axe choices or treatment, just living and learning is all.
I've only handled the stacked leather handle with hammers. Looks beautiful but I'm not a fan of slippery. My hatchet suffers the same with a plasticky kind of handle. Not a fan of that either so I stick with tap splitting with it. Given the size and light weight that's all it's suited for anyway.

There's a lot of Estwings and other economical hatchets & axes out there being used by a wide variety of folks. They don't pretend to be the greatest or most desirable tool going. Instead, they offer a fellow a reasonably priced hatchet that performs just fine within most usage scenarios. Their popularity is a testament to their overall appeal and efficacy.

And its good to live in a world with choices.

My Pop was a Carpenter/dockbuilder who grew up on a farm and fishing village in Northern Norway. He knew a thing or two about axes and hatchets. Pop kept a heavy headed carpenter's hatchet and a lighter one for detail work. In addition, he kept an Estwing all steel axe and a heavier camp axe around. For splitting, we had a large and a hand maul. Lots of hand saws and bow saws around.

My go-to tools now are a light carpenter's hatchet, Estwing Axe, a Bahco folding hand saw and a large Bob Dustrude folding bow saw. That Bahco is great to saw through the breastbone and pelvis when field dressing deer.

Last edited:
Estwing is located near me in Rockford, IL. One of my tripping partners ran a local corrugated box company that was making all the plain boxes that Estwing shipped the well known hammers and axes in. He had his graphics department make up a prototype box with an attractive display of the company name and logo. He felt they would be pleased with a free upgrade. They smiled politely before explaining that a package with the Estwing name on it would seldom get to its destination.
​​​​​

Back