• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Headlamps

Reaction score
I have been stuck paddling on a river twice after dark in my career. Once was due to poor planning, the other was an accident/injury. I have always had headlamps for around camp which had a range of ~10 feet. I think they were all around 100-200 lumens. 10' on a river is almost useless. I wanted something that could be used in an emergency for river travel. I bought this Petzel on sale. The brightest setting is 900 lumens. I can clearly see at least 200 feet with it. I could probably use it to help land a helicopter. It has lower settings for around camp. It has a rechargeable battery. I have taken it on 2 trips this spring and it's been flawless. I have gotten it very wet, but not submersed. Anyone have something similar?

petzel.JPG

I got 2 of the headlights that have a lot if small lites across my forehead. way more usefull for camp chores and nitetime trips.it gives you peripheral light rather than a narrow spotlight.

Hi,

I got a little gem in my stocking at Christmas- a Powercap LED beanie.
Basically a fleece cap, it combines patented ultra bright LED technology with a premium Compression Fleece beanie-style hat, resulting in a perfect hands-free flashlight with more than 48 Lumens. This practical hat has an on/off switch and batteries hidden in the band. Two of the LEDs point downward to light what you’re doing with your hands and to point forward to illuminate up to 72 feet ahead.

Haven't had a chance to use it on a trip yet but it is very comfortable and light- unlike a couple of headlamps i've used in the past- and i can see this being great for around campsite and reading in the tent.

Available from Marks here in Canada.

Bruce

I use the Black Diamond line of headlamps. Usually around the 400-600 lumen range. Have had them for a couple years now. One has been probably 500+ miles on rivers. The other tags along as a back up.

The entire family is on Fenix now powerful waterproof rechargeable really really well built super strong and somewhat lightweight (lighter than some and heavier than others!)

I have a pair of dead simple Black Diamonds hung at the back door. One button to push (to go through 4 light settings, hold the button pressed and the lights dim or brighten gradually). I like them. But the rechargeable features on others mentioned here are very interesting.
Through trial and error I've discovered I value: a) IPX rated waterproof, b) single push button not slider for easy use, c) small unit for easier portability, d) fairly affordable price.
The BDs are the only headlamps that go tripping. Two Energizer cheapos (not waterproof and rather clunky) stay at home for dog's body work while a Petzl is a spare (hard to use stiff slider button).

Last edited:
I've got a pair of black diamonds, and while very lightweight and bright they take those $15 6v camera batteries so are only used for backups. my go to is a Petzl tikka plus 450 lumens, water resistant, and tough as nails, but best of all it'll take regular rechargeable lithium AAA's, so it's easy to carry some charged- up spares in the unlikely event I forget to turn it off.

A whole gaggle of assorted brands. One in the shop one in the car one in the kitchen one in the night photo gear one in a backpack. Some are bright some are not for reading some have red lights for preserving night vision. Most are Black Diamonds and I hate the newer ones with one button that does it all.. Trying to remember how long to hold the button or how many times to tap is a PITA

Night river running is not in my repertoire and blinding lights are not either. It is horrid when you are the donor or recipient of blinding light in anothers face! Plus one bug a boo is that bright lights blind you. Once we were ferrying gear across a one mile waterbody at night and there were people already on shore. They thought they could "help" by lighting up the area with two Coleman lanterns. We could see nothing and of course being low tide we had to canoe around rocks that are inevitable at low tide
Fortunately our ferry boats were Grummans but the noise and language was remarkable.

Last edited:
.... and blinding lights are not either. It is horrid when you are the donor or recipient of blinding light in anothers face! ...

These high end petzel lamps have a "react" technology built in. If they sense another headlamp, as in face to face, they dim significantly

I've had this Fenix for a few years now. I'd say its a bit heavy (mostly the 18650 battery weight) or bulky for extended casual use, but still very comfortable to wear, rugged and waterproof. Always in my deck bag or pack with an extra battery or two for night travel by canoe or skiff and any other serious nighttime situation. https://www.amazon.com/Lumen-Tactic.../dp/B01BM3RGLO/ref=psdc_3401361_t2_B01BM3UMN8

Good idea. Mostly I like the ones that are not that powerful that last a long time. Every outfit needs one you can weld with.

the headlamp I revered to is the "Broadbeam" by OVLED. Th battery pack hanging out is a little funky, but I love the wade angle light for most things rather than the high intensity narrow spotlight type that is only good for coon hunting(and blinding your fellow campers)

Back