• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

upping my camp kitchen game

Reaction score
I usually keep my camp cooking pretty simple and often go with just a pot, stove, and mug. But this year I'm adding a frying pan and I just made a little maple cutting board to nest with my grill. Looking forward to bringing more real food on trips.

Attachments

• photo14749.jpg
    photo14749.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 2
While I'm in the mode of adding to my kit, what camp kitchen item do you find essential, that most folks haven't even thought of?

Thanks, yeah, pliers would make good pot grippers, and great for any general repair that requires the best possible grip. I usually take a Leatherman for that reason.

I made a thwart bag, a few years back, and I cut one of those hard plastic cutting boards to fit in the bottom of the bag. Adds the support I need plus it's there if I need it for cooking. I like the looks of your maple one Edaug.

Hmmmm.....Marten, I do pizzas often at home, maybe time to try it over a campfire.

My buddies and I like to eat......Our first couple of days anywhere are fresh foods, then we slowly work our way to mylar wrapped...dehydrated/freeze dried. We always carried a cast iron dutch oven size appropriate to the number of people in our group. The lid would serve double duty as our skillet. We then switched to an aluminium dutch oven to save a few pounds. A few years ago we switched to a "Banks" Fry-Bake pan and love them! They are pricey, but if you check their website (see link)they usually have "seconds" available which are functionally sound, but may have some cosmetic blem (which I could never see on mine). I haven't looked lately, but when I purchased mine they offered two sizes...we refer to them as "crew" sized and "personal" sized. With a larger group we might bring two crew sized....the personal is a nice solo size. anything you can cook in a traditional dutch oven or cast iron skillet, you can cook/fry/bake in these. We have used them over campfire coals (with coals on the lid for baking), gas stoves, etc. If we want to bake on a backpacking style gas stove, we place a heat diffuser on the stove then the fry bake followed by a fabric heat hood and have had no issues....and yes, we make pizzas in them......BTW, nice cutting board!

Mike

The fry bake pans are the best one can buy for sure!! We have had 2 of them and man they are awesome!! Jatfomike said everything that had to be said!!
So my kitchen didn't really change in a long time, we like to eat well on trips, food and food preps is a big part of our trips and we love it that way lol. We cook 99 percent of the time using the fire box, we carry our kitchen in a wanigan, it is big heavy and bulky but I wouldn't go with out it, I use a tumpline to portage it, we have every thing we need in there for up to 6 people by adding or subtracting plates, boles, and cutlery, the rest stay the same!
We pretty much cook everything from scratch, for example, pizza, I make my own dough, my own sauce in camp, same with naan bread.... that means lots of prep at home but that is ok, it is part of the trip experience and plus you eat better and save money!!

I've been wanting to make a camp table with a cut out for dish pan that can be covered when not washing dishes. We love to cook and eat like it's our last days on Earth. But doing dishes suck! So I purchased a light Coleman stove stand, and when I get a chance I'm going to design and build a table. I made a table before, using one of those stands, and the top was made from thin, strips of wood. The top would roll around stand and drop into a cylindrical bag. It works very well. I don't portage on most of my camping trips, so weight isn't to much of an issue.

Attachments

• photo14760.jpg
    photo14760.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 0
there is nothing like good food on a canoe trip. We take turns making dinner and try to out do each other. Our big western rivers require little if any portaging, maybe some lining. We take big canoes and go heavy. I really like to bring a collapsible table and regular 2 burner propane stove. We bring several pots and fry pans for deluxe meals if there is a large group. I like theme type meals, Italian, Mexican, Indian, and many others. Beer and wine goes good with food. We bring folding chairs. Time to plan a canoe trip.

Back