• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Made some camp bread this weekend!

Reaction score

A simple 4 ingredient loaf of white bread. After all the talk about Fry-Bakes in the other thread in the kitchens section as well as seeing the John Favreau bread baking episode of the "Chef Show" on Netflix, I got the itch to make a loaf. I cheated.....I used a porcelain lined Dutch in the oven...inside....I made the dough Saturday morning...let it rise 8 hours...baked it that evening. The wife and I had a couple warm slices with butter for dinner. The remainder became garlic bread to go with Spag and Italian Sausage Sunday evening....Yes...I like lots of garlic.....the slices with not so much garlic are for my wife....It was pretty darn good! Both times! Weather permitting, I will try and bake a loaf outside next weekend in a camp Dutch....The hard part will be maintaining the 450 deg F temp without burning the bottom.....I've done it before, but it's been years....We'll see....

Mike

Last edited:
Making bread in a Dutch Oven is not that hard, just use plenty of top heat and not much bottom heat.
Pan de Campo. what a great idea.

Making bread in a Dutch Oven is not that hard, just use plenty of top heat and not much bottom heat.
Pan de Campo. what a great idea.

Yeah, Whenever baking in one of my Dutch's, I always try to apply the majority of the heat from the top down.....The problem with this particular recipe is the 450 deg F baking temp. Over the years, I have found it to be pretty easy to maintain a 350-375 temp, but at that temp, you don't get the nice outer crust and chew that I like at the higher temp.s. Two ways I have achieved it in the past is either with a volcano stove or with regular campfire coals, but placing an inverted pie tin on the bottom of the Dutch (or upright on some small stones) and then the loaf on that, you can usually avoid the scorched bottom from the additional coals on the bottom needed to achieve the temp......My ultimate goal is to bake this bread on a white gas backpacking stove with an 8-10" aluminum Dutch....I know the guys will not want to hump a volcano stove and or cast iron Dutch oven over anymore portages....we used to years ago....not anymore....I thought the bread might be fun on a layover or storm day....The Fry bake pans aren't tall enough for this particular loaf and I have never really played around with reflector ovens, from what I have read, I'm not sure they could acheive that high of a temp? I don't know...

Mike

I never cook with a temp that high. It is too easy to burn everything.
A reflector oven is light way to bake anything.
I usually bring an aluminum Dutch on canoe trips because we don't portage much on big rivers. I use it on the gas stove and on the ground with a fire.
I baked a birthday cake for my 65th birthday on a great river in Oregon.

Back