• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

What's a fair price?

Reaction score
I'm thinking of losing my 2006 Wenonah Prospector 16 (Royalex). It's in great shape, and I don't remember the original Price. Great Tandem river boat But we could use the room. I'll likely sell it on FB since I did well with the encounter there.

The new T-formex ones, essentially the same material go for a little over 2 G's american. Should be able to move it pretty fast for a Grover Cleveland.

Right now nobody wants to buy anything. Somewhere in the $800-1100 range will get it sold eventually.

But as you know the market is unpredictable with some good boats selling very quickly and others not selling even at good prices.

Spring and early summer are usually good times to sell canoes. “Usually”, not so much this spring and summer. The pandemic has raised some unique-to-the-times buyer’s issues.

People don’t want to, or in some areas can’t, travel very far. Crossing the border is out of the question, and even some State-to-State travel has self quarantine promises to be made. And, with millions of people out of work, spending cash on a canoe has taken a backseat to groceries, rent and utilities.

Some sellers may not want dickering strangers in their yard. Although conversely I haven’t seen many cash strapped folks selling used canoes at rock bottom prices. Actually, just the reverse; some people are asking crazy high prices on plebian/common used canoes.

Among the folks hurt by this I expect the smaller, boutique canoe manufacturers are struggling to find new orders. Canoecopia and other boat shows cancelled, folks reticent to mask-visit paddle shops even if they are open for business. Justifying spending money on a canoe to the Missus when you are both on unemployment.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see one or more of the smaller canoe makers throw in the towel.

I have one unique boat on the racks I’d like to sell. It is a well outfitted niche boat, one that would need a buyer with peculiar, specific tripping, sailing and/or fishing requirements.

Maybe next year. Perhaps when this is over there will be a flurry of “Get me outa here Mr. Wizard” folks looking for canoes.

Guess I'll drag it out and photograph it. Seems like it would sell quick around here with all the rocky streams. I was holding on to it in hopes my kids would visit and want to go paddling with their significant other. Not much chance I'm afraid.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Back