• Happy Birthday, Simon Fraser (1776-1862)! 🧭🏞 4️⃣9️⃣

waterproof maps DIY

Interesting, indeed, and a lot of messing around for a single sheet. Imagine needing a map 2 x 3 feet where you have to print maybe a dozen sheets.
I've found that spraying paper with just about any kind of waterproofer does a good job, and has the added advantage of being good to write on.
So, thanks for the link, but this obstinate curmudgeon will stick to his usual method of taping together large maps out of multiple printouts.

I've found that spraying paper with just about any kind of waterproofer does a good job, and has the added advantage of being good to write on.
I completely agree. For the Yukon 1000 mile canoe races, I plotted my course in Google Earth and printed 95 pages on regular computer printer paper. I spread them out on my garage floor on flattened cardboard boxes, and sprayed them with waterproof spray I found in Walmart for a couple of bucks each. One coat soaks completely through the paper. I used two cans for the whole job. After a quick dry the paper becomes tough enough to resist tearing and is completely waterproof. Placed in cheap 3-ring office protector sleeves, they easily survived races down the Yukon River, getting soaked at my feet in the canoe multiple times without damage.

In past years I have used Thompson's Water Seal to coat paper maps with great success. However, the product has changed formula, and now it darkens and remains tacky on paper. The spray in cans works just as well as the old Thompson's.

Last edited:
Oh come on now. Who wouldn't love the idea of crumpling up all your little single sheet plastic filmy maps, and stuffing them in an out of the way pocket. Or did I use them to wrap the cheese?

yknpdlr, thanks for the tip about Thompson's. Kiwi makes a fabric protector that works great as a waterproofer. Scotchgard does likewise.

Odyssey, the crumpling and stuffing might be nice features, but what about when you want to actually use the map?

Odyssey, the crumpling and stuffing might be nice features, but what about when you want to actually use the map?

Seeing the guy crumple up his DIY maps made me laugh, but I think it's a clever idea nonetheless. I'm not sure if I'll try it. I suppose the durability of this plastic film idea makes it handy, but it seems a little flimsy to me. Currently, if I don't have a Chrismar map (http://www.chrismar.com), then I print off single pages at home (8x11) and waterproof them. There's any number of spray choices, even hairspray works. (I've used that as a fixative for pencil sketches.) A light spray of water based Varathane works for me. Whatever I use, I keep my maps in a ziplock...uncrumpled.

Back