• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Royalex and hull shape

Reaction score
I recently was contacted by someone in response to a negative comment I wrote about my Dagger Reflection 16. It is R-lite and has a flat bottom. It oil cans and is generally floppy and slow. It has been like this since brand new.

Based on what I've paddled and what I've read on these forums, I've concluded that most flat bottom Royalex boats will be floppy. I've also concluded that shallow arch or shallow v can help stiffen Royalex canoes.

So do y'all agree with this conclusion? Anyone out there with an Explorer or Penobscot that oil cans?

Agree with your points. Results do vary with royalex spec, which was different across manufacturers and time. R-lite maybe was more susceptible.

Given equivalent thickness and quality of the Royalex or R-Lite, a rounded or shallow arch cross sectional contour will always have more inherent stability than a flatter bottom.

It seems logical that a shallow V or arch should help somewhat for oilcanning vs. a flat bottom, but my shallow V Mad River Explorer, made when Royalex was Royalex, began to oilcan after a few years anyway. That's not too bad if not too bad, in my experience, as slight oilcanning helps a Royalex canoe slide over rocks in whitewater and bony streams. The canoe isn't all that fast on the flats any event, oilcanning or not. With me kneeling in the middle, the oilcanning has always been tolerable.

:D Poling !!! I'm kind of glad you posted this. Seems we have almost the same boat but totally different. While yours is the 16 & mine the 15 my experience is 180 from yours. Mine is solid & easy to paddle. Even more so I moved the rear seat up a bit.
I know what you're feeling though. My Mad River 14 royalex I could feel everything below me. It was super slow as well. Flat bottom.
Aren't both of these suppose to be a shallow arch?
(and I claim no knowledge about anything other than what I feel :D I still consider myself a rookie)

:D Poling !!! I'm kind of glad you posted this. Seems we have almost the same boat but totally different. While yours is the 16 & mine the 15 my experience is 180 from yours. Mine is solid & easy to paddle. Even more so I moved the rear seat up a bit.
I know what you're feeling though. My Mad River 14 royalex I could feel everything below me. It was super slow as well. Flat bottom.
Aren't both of these suppose to be a shallow arch?
(and I claim no knowledge about anything other than what I feel :D I still consider myself a rookie)
I'm glad you had a better experience than me. My R-lite Reflection 16 has a very flat bottom. It oil cans, or hogs, just sitting in flat water. This is different than moving in response to rocks, which is what Royalex is great for.

I would expect an Explorer 14 to be slow, even if the Royalex kept it's shape. Just the combination of short length, shallow vee bottom, and Royalex. I'm sure it is still an ideal rocky river canoe.

Back