• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

New to me Hemlock Kestrel

Reaction score
Hello, last week I purchased a beautiful red kestrel. It was in western ny, I contacted the seller and I was on my way up to see it. The whole experience was great, boat was just what I was looking for. On top of that the seller and his wife were also extremely nice. We talked for a wile and discovered we were both adk 46ers. The deal was sealed. So this past week I've been paddling alot in local lakes. Loaded and unloaded. This paddle and that paddle. So far I really like the boat, and am learning how to be a more proficient paddler. (Don't hate but, I have been using a hornbeck and a double blade.) Iam 5'11 and 155 lbs. The boat i belive is set up more for kneeling with the contored conk seat. Kneeling is pretty new to me. But iam working on it. I don't plan on doing anything to the boat for now,, but I do plan on taking a trip back out there to see Dave, when I get some more seat time. Well thanks for listening.

Nice canoe you ended up with. We really enjoy our Kestrel. I've found that it's most stable when kneeling, especially with waves, but also handles just fine while sitting, even using a bent shaft paddle while hit-and-switch paddling. I installed a foot brace in our Kestrel, which benefits hit-and-switch technique, but it isn't absolutely necessary. Planning to spend more time in the Kestrel before discussing modifications with Dave is a good idea. Have fun with your new canoe!

Back