• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Grasse River Boatworks Classic XL

Reaction score
This boat is for sale close to my home. I cannot find info on the rocker and it looks like the ends are pretty sharp. The description says it is “nimble” and good for small creeks, but seems unlikely.

It is the 16’8” version. Designed by Gene Newman

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this boat?

Classic XL

If I was looking for a lightweight solo canoe that's nimble and good for small creeks, the Classic XL isn't a canoe that would be high on my list. But if you're looking for a lightweight solo canoe that flies right along with a bent-shaft paddle it might be just what you're looking for.

As yknpadlr suggests, give them a call.

They've never been too free with their phone number, but the email address is on the website. On my invoice from 2021 there is 315-244-4037, if you want to try that. There is a lot of rocker on the GRB Rambler, but did not appear to be any on the Classic XL hanging in their barn. Wouldn't be my first choice for small creeks either. Darn fast, though.

Hi Erica,

I paddle a Classic XL. It is fast, great tracking and can carry some gear. It is NOT a canoe for tightly curved creeks. I took it to the Adirondacks last year and enjoyed what paddling I did in it, but heavy rain and high winds ended my trip early. I have paddled it on local lakes and rivers and it is usually my "go to" canoe for day trips as well. I really enjoy mine, but if much maneuvering is in the cards I will opt for a different canoe.

At a weight of around 25 lbs., it sure is easy to carry. I made a removable carry thwart and it is great for long portages.

That also looks like a very good price for the canoe and Zaveral paddle, especially if the paddle turned out to be in your length. I use a Zaveral bent shaft and a double bent shaft when paddling mine. Super light, they are stiff and they have a good feel in the water.

Last edited:
Based on the description of the boat in the classified ad, I wouldn't expect it to be great on tight, winding creeks. Sounds like it was purchased by the original owner for racing. That would indicate speed and straight ahead integrity were high on it's list of characteristics; not manueverability.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back