• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Anyone ever attempt to paddle the entire Wisconsin River?

Reaction score
Read a few articles on the topic before, example here:

I think about giving it a go and may take a stab this fall or spring. Need to choose between a solo canoe or a 17' canoe either alone or with a partner. No shortage of obstacles, 20 something dams and their associated lakes, Lake Wisconsin or Pentenwel to name some.

Was curious if others had any experiences?

DanielT_Anderson, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

I don't personally have any experience with the Wisconsin River. Maybe some of our members do. What kind of canoe do you currently own?

A 17' We No Nah Spirit 2. Great tandem canoe and has plenty of WI River time on her. But heavy, have paddled it solo but only on short over nights. More of a pin wheel when the wind starts with just one. I've had some success with swapping seats and adding weight to the bow.

I attended a session at Canoecopia of a woman who did it, or a most of it. Iirc, she was a director of a Wisconsin conservation organization. 2 weeks. Sorry I can't recall her name. It was a very good and interesting presentation.

I have been in Wisconsin since I was in kid in the 1950's. A number of people have paddled the entire Wisconsin Rv. I have paddled a number of sections in the spring and fall. During the summer it is a popular river to paddle especially below the last dam at Prairie du Sac. There used to be very popular nude beach on state land near Mazomanie which the state shut down a few years ago.

One thing I remember is that we learned fairly quickly to start paddling as early in the day as possible due to the river valley funneling the wind and making it a real effort to paddle downstream heading west. The Lower Wisconsin Riverway has a lot of public land and there are many places to camp. If you camp on islands or low areas you need to be aware that the river level can come up fast if there is a water release at the last dam.

The Lower sections are great for camping, spent many a night on those islands and agree the water can come quick!

Familiar with the Mazo beach as well, i think that decision caused quite the stir if i am not mistaken, but i was over near Milwaukee at the time.

Really appreciate the heads up headed west on the winds, my 17' loves to spin if paddling solo and a wind comes along.

I've also heard pentenwel or even castle rock lakes have some day long winds that can cut an effort short, but haven't paddled those lakes personally

Thank you!!

Back