• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

A new Nick Schade inside glassing video

Reaction score
In Nick Schade's latest video, he shows a beginner, how to glass the inside of a stitch and glue kayak.
Though Nick uses a different method than mine, he gave some great insight on the process.

At the end of this video, Nick explains the need for an extra coat on the inside.

Anyone looking to build a kayak, or canoe, can well benefit from Nick's videos !

Here's the link.

I did exactly what he said not to do, I fussed around with the inside of mine to much. I made a lot of rookie mistakes.

I like Nick Schade's videos. He explains things simply and very well.
Thanks for posting this link at this time Jim.

I started laying inside glass horizontal on my second canoe and did all the rest like Nick does in this video. To me, it takes away a lot of the stress. I now do the wedge at the ends first and let them set up before continuing.

Small batches of epoxy is another great tip. Keeps from getting epoxy pooled beneath the glass. I understand his point about the extra coat on the inside but I've never done it. I give a light sanding with 220 before varnish and I'm sure it isn't cutting into the cloth. After 3 coats of varnish I doubt there are any pinholes. Nothing wrong with the 2nd coat, i just dont think its necessary.

Mark

I started laying inside glass horizontal on my second canoe and did all the rest like Nick does in this video. To me, it takes away a lot of the stress. I now do the wedge at the ends first and let them set up before continuing.

Small batches of epoxy is another great tip. Keeps from getting epoxy pooled beneath the glass. I understand his point about the extra coat on the inside but I've never done it. I give a light sanding with 220 before varnish and I'm sure it isn't cutting into the cloth. After 3 coats of varnish I doubt there are any pinholes. Nothing wrong with the 2nd coat, i just dont think its necessary.

Mark
Laying the cloth, side to side, would save cloth for sure ! I have bags of cloth trimmings, left over from full length glassing ! I have thought to use it up on a hull. Maybe someday.

The over laps, add stiffness to the hull, it's just not visually as appealing, especially if you plan to market the canoe.

Small batches, and having someone, to accurately mix them is a great help.

The extra coating of epoxy, on the inside, does add to the waterproofness of the hull. I too think extra varnish would aid, in sealing the hull.

Like I said, I have intended to just go with one coat ! I just wasn't satisfied with it.

Sanding into the cloth, has been a fear of mine. That's one of the reasons I'll fill the weave.

I don't always agree with Nick on somethings, but in My view, he puts out the most informative videos on YouTube !

Jim

I don't always agree with Nick on somethings, but in My view, he puts out the most informative videos on YouTube !

Jim
I agree with all that. The fact that nick can mess with a video camera, narrate an instruction video, teach a student and glass the inside of a boat all at the same time is impressive. He’s one of the few experts in a sea of posers on any subject on YouTube.

Mark

Back