• Happy National Drink Beer Day! 🍺→🚽→🤪

Recent content by Glenn MacGrady

  1. Glenn MacGrady

    Photo of the day

    @yixak, since you revel in optimistic euphemisms, enjoy your journeys in your rented "yacht" and feel free to post as many photos and words about it as you want.
  2. Glenn MacGrady

    Photo of the day

    Is that Indian Lake in the Adirondacks? Who paddled which canoe? They both look familiar.
  3. Glenn MacGrady

    Videos from Down the Bloodvein and Back

    The heavyset guy bow lining the canoe looks to me like Ray Goodwin, the famous UK canoeist, canoe instructor, trip leader, author and YouTuber. This seems to be confirmed by the blog of his expedition partner Paul Kirtley, who has published photos of a Ray Goodwin trip down the Bloodvein in...
  4. Glenn MacGrady

    Videos from Down the Bloodvein and Back

    Some questions, Alan. What kind of camera did you use to video, and how and where did you attach it? It's not the now-ubiquitous GoPro on the head. When you ran rapids, did you sit or kneel and did you use a bent or straight paddle? In rewatching the videos, did you find many things that you...
  5. Glenn MacGrady

    BWCA Trip #2026-02

    Tony, thanks for the report. What kind of tent is that?
  6. Glenn MacGrady

    World's deadliest river: 2 meters wide, 65 meters deep

    Could be. But none of the actual known deaths had on life jackets or rescue teams on shore.
  7. Glenn MacGrady

    World's deadliest river: 2 meters wide, 65 meters deep

    There is a section of the River Wharfe in Yorkshire, England, called The Strid. The Wharfe is about 25 meters wide as it flows through the countyside, but at The Strid it squeezes down to less than two meters. It is said that the river essentially turns 90° on its side, and its depth has been...
  8. Glenn MacGrady

    Pareidolia on canoe trips

    Yeah, but what about the small alligator crawling along the shore?
  9. Glenn MacGrady

    Pareidolia on canoe trips

    I just learned a new word, so I feel compelled to use it once in my life, especially since I believe I've experienced it. Have you ever experienced visual or auditory pareidolia on canoe trips, such as in the woods, the day sky, the night sky, the horizon, outside your tent, or in the water?
  10. Glenn MacGrady

    Day Tripping in the Adirondacks - Henderson Lake, Boreas Ponds, Forked Lake

    Thanks for documenting your trips, Erik. I'm impressed that there are still canoe clubs that have canoes. What an excellent place to base camp for all sorts of Adirondack lakes and rivers. Maybe I've stayed there long ago, but now I'll remember and recommend it. As I understand the history...
  11. Glenn MacGrady

    Hello from Michigan

    Banjackal, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, because canoeing is a geographic sport, please add your location to the Account...
  12. Glenn MacGrady

    Camping on the Oswegatchie

    Nice trip report with great photos as usual, Erik. I didn't even know there was such a canoe as a Penobscot 15. I only did that trip once and failed to get to High Falls and back in one day. It was a day or so after Michael Jackson died. The convivial fellow who ran the Wanakena General Store...
  13. Glenn MacGrady

    Lake Umbagog NH/ME and Rapid River

    I'm interested in finding out exactly where Bob and his group stayed. His reference to site R18 suggests that he did not stay at Cedar Stump Campsites, which only has six sites along the Rapid River. R18 seems to be site managed by the New Hampshire State Parks system per this map:
  14. Glenn MacGrady

    Lake Umbagog NH/ME and Rapid River

    Thanks for that report and photos, Bob. Is that your Keewaydin 16 I see in one of the photos? Were the campsites near the Rapid River a private campsite or public (free)? In the mid-80s I used to lead whitewater trips on the Rapid River. We would fly by floatplane from the boat ramp at the...
  15. Glenn MacGrady

    Which solo canoes are best for heeling?

    Now that we've discussed what canoes can be heeled to the rail more or less easily, and how to do it, I would ask whether heeling to the rail is a necessary trait for a canoe or skill for a paddler. I'd answer myself with a "yes" for whitewater paddling at the intermediate or above skill level...
Back
Top Bottom