• Happy Willie Mays' Circus Catch of Vic Wertz (1954)! ⚾

Recent content by Cheeseandbeans

  1. Cheeseandbeans

    Lake Umbagog NH/ME and Rapid River

    Correct- R18 booked through the state campground.
  2. Cheeseandbeans

    Lake Umbagog NH/ME and Rapid River

    Sorry Glenn- missed that one. We stayed at the northern most site through the campground. 2-3 mile paddle from the river take out. The Cedar Stump sites are adjacent from the trail and take out. They looked like nice sites. Bob
  3. Cheeseandbeans

    Lake Umbagog NH/ME and Rapid River

    Yes, that’s the canoe. It got a few more scrapes this trip. I wouldn’t want to navigate a powered vessel in these waters at speed. Dangerous rocks for sure in unexpected areas. Probably the same type boats. It was pretty sketchy loading/unloading with the crosswind.
  4. Cheeseandbeans

    Lake Umbagog NH/ME and Rapid River

    We only saw two other people in our area over three days. There are a couple miles of paddling where you can feel the current and the takeout for the trail along the river is just below the last set of rapids. The flow was low to moderate. I’m sure it would be a struggle in high water. It is...
  5. Cheeseandbeans

    Lake Umbagog NH/ME and Rapid River

    I drove up to Errol NH from NW CT several days ago and met two older paddling friends. We were staying the first night at the campground on the southern end after the long drive. The wind was blowing something fierce and much of our evening conversation was in hopes of it laying down that night...
  6. Cheeseandbeans

    After 88 years, this burn-pile old canoe is getting a makeover!

    Looks great Pat. Your work is always stunning. Bob
  7. Cheeseandbeans

    Canoeing Plans for 2026?

    Nothing too special here. A much needed career change has taken up too much free time and brain capacity lately for much planning. An Adirondack ice out trip, possible WCHA assembly, and fall trip to Lake Umbagog are in the works. Bob
  8. Cheeseandbeans

    Old Town Penobscot Royalex restoration. Is this hull salvageable?

    As Gamma said I’d give it a good scrubbing this spring and see what you got. Hot water, dish soap, and a good slug of white vinegar is a good cleaner. I’d fill in any deep gouges with thickened gflex. Install Dynel skid plates if you’re going to run rivers or use it hard, replace the rotten...
  9. Cheeseandbeans

    Shaw & Tenney bags and packs

    Well done Art. Very impressive! Bob
  10. Cheeseandbeans

    Video: HOOP clears portage trails with Silky KATANABOY and BIGBOY saws

    I miss his videos. I have seen them all a few times. They do make great saws. Bob
  11. Cheeseandbeans

    How much have you paddled this year?

    Not as much as I would like. I got only one trip in with my son and a bunch of day paddling. I did explore some new water and the new carbon Keewaydin did make life easier. Looking forward to some more tripping next year. Bob
  12. Cheeseandbeans

    So what exactly is everyone up to in their non-boating hours?

    The kids and family activities take up the majority of my free time, but I enjoy fishing, hunting, woodworking, car/truck/motorcycle restoration, and using old tractors even though new ones are more reliable. There has often been a cloud of obscenities hovering over my snow filled driveway while...
  13. Cheeseandbeans

    Old Town Tripper Repair

    I agree with Chip. I applaud your determination to get this back on the water, but this would require dozens of hours and still may not be suitable for an extended trip. I’m guessing some of the foam core and original RX layers may be compromised. You would be adding quite a bit of weight with...
  14. Cheeseandbeans

    Must have medical items?

    Large Tegaderms are nice for keeping a wound waterproof. They are the film that goes over an IV site if you’ve had one. Bob
  15. Cheeseandbeans

    Roll Call for West CT, SW MA and MHV NY Canoeists

    I will join if I’m available. Bob
Back
Top Bottom