• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Came back a few days ago....

Reaction score
Haha, we came back a day early, so it was a short trip, really too short! but 3 days in the bush is better than no days in the bush! So not much to report, but there is a few random pictures in random order!!

So we left for 4 days came back a day early... We went in the area of Kluane lake a few hours drive from our place. The idea was to go look for bisons, Karine had talked to the bison biologist and she said that the week before our departure the bison were there... She was right, they WERE there hahaha. After about 20 some km of snowmobiling yes we were with a friend that have 3 machine so we manage to get there in a different way that we usually use, we set up camp on a hill top in what seemed to be sheltered from the prevailing wind... Until the wind change in the evening... But the snow trekker is such a good tent that it didn't matter!!

Took the usual 2hrs for setting up camp from start to finish. we had supper at around 9pm... Since, well, spring is here cause it was still day light!! Windy, windy windy but fairly warm!!

Next day, after breakfast, we all went separate ways, I went snowshoeing for a few hours circling the area we were in, looking in all the hole and eskers to search for fresh tracks/signs of there presence!! Karine and Sophie went on the trail going south and Rock went back on the trail we came in!! We got back to camp at different times for a late lunch.

Then late afternoon we got on the machine for a short ride on the trail we rode in to have a look at some "fresh" signs we saw the day before... But they were quite old, maybe a week. So back to camp to get supper ready!

We saw a bunch of Dall sheep on a mountain ridge, a few wolf on the hill side of the same mountain howling away every night and morning. Rock saw a bunch of horses(outfitter usually let them roam free in the winter time) but no bisons or fresh signs of them!!

It was a good trip but too short!

Robin , if there is to many pictures, let me know and I will clean it up....

Attachments

• photo6485.jpg
    photo6485.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6486.jpg
    photo6486.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6487.jpg
    photo6487.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6488.jpg
    photo6488.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6489.jpg
    photo6489.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6490.jpg
    photo6490.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6491.jpg
    photo6491.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6492.jpg
    photo6492.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6493.jpg
    photo6493.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6494.jpg
    photo6494.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6495.jpg
    photo6495.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6496.jpg
    photo6496.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6497.jpg
    photo6497.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6498.jpg
    photo6498.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6499.jpg
    photo6499.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6500.jpg
    photo6500.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6501.jpg
    photo6501.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6502.jpg
    photo6502.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6503.jpg
    photo6503.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6504.jpg
    photo6504.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6505.jpg
    photo6505.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6506.jpg
    photo6506.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice trip report ANDN. Beautiful country and great photos. Nice gasket around the stove door too!

Hey how did the snowmachine and sled end up in the culvert?

fetch

Looks like a great trip, too bad the scenery sucked again. I didn't see any Cold Handle Pans on the stove.

Great trip canot. Wouldn't get tired of looking at that. Your photos are a pleasure to see in any order.

Thank you guys. The photos are what they are, nothing fancy like other super photographer we have here, but they help keep memories alive!!

Nice trip report ANDN. Beautiful country and great photos. Nice gasket around the stove door too!

Hey how did the snowmachine and sled end up in the culvert?

fetch

Kelly, the stove worked great... Needed to adjust my self to it, but all in all it worked great!! As for the sled, Rock was in front of us he's got lots of experience, moved to the Yukon in the 70's when he was 18 and lived in the bush most of its life with his wife and raised 2 kids on a trap line... anyway, to make it short, he was a head of us and the trail was badly wind blown, lots of snowdrifts so half the time you are riding on a narrow "ledge" and since we are not really advance snowmobiler, at some point he turned his head to try to see if we were still following him and then the rest is in the picture lol!!

I've heard of this happening to even the most experienced drivers...a tree jumped right out in front of him. No-one hurt. All is good.
Very cool trip. Successful hunt or no, it sure was a successful winter break.
The days must be getting longer, yes?

Last edited:
I've heard of this happening to even the most experienced drivers...a tree jumped right out in front of him. No-one hurt. All is good.
Very cool trip. Successful hunt or no, it sure was a successful winter break.
The days must be getting longer, yes?

They are getting really long... We are gaining 10 minutes a day now... Sunset 2027 tonight... but still light out till about 9pm

Great country those pictures are amazing. I'm not big on the cold these days but I wish I could see it in the summer...someday.

You Northern Dwellers and your snowmobile trips are making it look kinda fun, cruising around out there in the snow, hauling a bunch of stoves and food, crashing into trees and such. But I know that secretly, beneath all that fun, it's bone death cold. Awesome.

Glad that your friend found the CULVERT and not the DROP OFF shown in the other pics.

The tiny bit of the Yukon I have seen from the highway, I really enjoyed and now find the 'look' of much of it to be more interesting to me than the endless scrub, alder, etc *of much of Alaska that I have experienced. Got a winter bucket list trip out there that I hope to fulfill at some point, sooner than later.

* the endless tangle or blanket of green growth

Glad that your friend found the CULVERT and not the DROP OFF shown in the other pics.

The tiny bit of the Yukon I have seen from the highway, I really enjoyed and now find the 'look' of much of it to be more interesting to me than the endless scrub, alder, etc *of much of Alaska that I have experienced. Got a winter bucket list trip out there that I hope to fulfill at some point, sooner than later.

* the endless tangle or blanket of green growth

Alaska ain't bad... But the Yukon is better lol... Anytime any one want's to come up here please get in touch... I might be able to help on a few things!!

Back